The Wicker Man, 2006.

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
Has anyone seen the new version with Nicolas CAGE and the bees ?
The original was a classic ...
Few remakes are as good as the originals ("The OMEN 666" springs to mind as does "The Fog").

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
To put it nicely: It is one of the crappiest films ever made. I took a drive down to see it and was given the worst movie experience I have had in years. First off there is no way to get Cage to ever match the acting quality of Edward Woodward. Next we have the Christopher Lee character from the original now being done as a female and by Ellen Burstyn. She is a fine actor but this is not the best role for her.

The entire event was a torture so I suppose if it is in some way meant to be a horror movie, then it met its qualifications...but I don't recall that it was originally intended to be a horror movie. In the end, even though (according to IMDB.com, Edward Woodward says he was impressed with the quality of the script, you can also see why he declined the part which they had offered him. Woodward, is clearly a gentleman and a class act who felt it would be wrong to denigrate the film prior to its release I wonder if now that it is hitting theaters he will speak up about this travesty No, that would go against who he is Our only hope is that Cage will never be given another role again.

Long live the REAL Wicker Man...complete with hedonistic behavior, which the remake has scrapped, even though on an island of rituals and pagans it is an essential part of the story.

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
jakeatolla said:
The original was amazing. This new movie sucked large.:mad:
This movie would have benefited greatly from sucking large (or small or medium or any other size) just to take the pain of the crappy script away.

Nelly Gay

Experimental Member
Media
Nelly Gay said:
Has anyone seen the new version with Nicolas CAGE and the bees ?
The original was a classic ...
Few remakes are as good as the originals ("The OMEN 666" springs to mind as does "The Fog").

I saw "The Wicker Man" last night and ,whilst it differed totally from the 1973 original, it was very good and the running theme of bees/female domination was a good one.
The scenery and filmatography was also visually beautiful.
Nicolas Cage was very good even if he does look like Christopher Lee (the original Lord Summerisle).
The cast was excellent with Ellen Burnstyn, Kathy Bates et al.
Not the turkey it was alleged.
Cage is also very hairy and pleasantly "horsey"!