The World is Insane

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whoa... Really? That boils my blood. There are some things in cultures that should just die. They don't make sense, not then, not now. Crazy.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is disgusting. I'm going to keep my thoughts to myself about what should happen to those people as pay back.

Last edited by a moderator:

B_doogie888

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's a lot of things you have to consider here. First of all, it's always hard for us in our Western world bubble to understand other cultures, and I think in general we should be mindful of this. Secondly, while the procedure described in the article is appalling in nature, it spares the child a miserable life growing up as an identifiable female in a society that values a certain favorable population ratio towards men. Finally, if you are going to direct your anger anywhere, don't aim it at those her perform this procedure, but rather at the government that has enacted silly laws that don't allow sex identification early in the pregnancy.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Western Bubble? Are you serious? This is so repulsive and disgusting and it's a violation of human rights. It's disgusting that someone's parents would do such a thing. They are essentially ruining the child's life, not to mention their chance of ever having any type of normal functioning sexual ability. What use is a limp infertile dick? How would it ever function correctly? The reasoning behind this is ignorant in my opinion.

B_Craiggers

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There's a lot of things you have to consider here. First of all, it's always hard for us in our Western world bubble to understand other cultures, and I think in general we should be mindful of this.

In our western world, we understand the preference for boys over girls, most particularly among fathers

Gallup Poll Shows U.S. Preference for Boys Over Girls - NYTimes.com

But using hormones and surgery to force a gender change is I think beyond most people's understanding, be they in the "Western world bubble" or the East.

From the article at the top: "Sex determination tests during pregnancy are illegal in India to try to prevent the common practice of women choosing to abort female foetuses."

Within the culture, the government has made it illegal to learn the sex of your child in order to try and prevent people from aborting their babies over it.

Please don't walk the line of trying to argue that it's culturally acceptable. It's not. It's a number of deranged people engaging in sick behaviour via some legal loopholes.

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It doesn't spare the child anything. It inflicts a choice not of its own upon it. A choice based on a cultural stigma against women. And why shouldn't we hold the doctor accountable? He chooses to do this surgery. He is not held at gunpoint. Its a choice. And the laws about sex identification was to prevent abortions based purely on the sex of the child. That may not have been the best way, but how else cam you curtail such blatant sexism?!

B_prettyswinggirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The problem with what is going on in some countries like China and others that prefer male children, is that now there is a large gap in the ratio of too many men versus not enough women. I know in China it's lead to women being kidnapped from their families and forced into slave marriages. In order to perpetuate genetically healthy offspring in society, women are needed more than men are. Balance will eventually need to be restored for a healthy population even if it's at zero growth.

pcghabsy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
This a huge problem with some rural Indian sub-cultures. Everything is still male dominant. The government has done everything in its power - including banning detection of sex by ultrasound during pregnancy as Craiggers pointed out - the abortion rate of female fetuses was insane. But this is just beyond ridiculous.

However, urban India is different. This kind of insanity is, thankfully, extremely rare.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This pisses me off.
Some things about some cultures do not deserve any respect at all.

There's a lot of things you have to consider here. First of all, it's always hard for us in our Western world bubble to understand other cultures, and I think in general we should be mindful of this...

Had to be at least one defender of the indefensible.

I don't want to be so warped that I understand their culture.
Slavery was the "peculiar institution" of the United States for 80 years after its founding.
Yet inside the bubble of early 1800's American culture there are those who knew it to be wrong.
And in the article there are those within India condemning this practice.
The doctors know it is wrong - that is why they falsify the medical record.

It is wrong.

That it occurs within the confines of their culture does not make it right.
I will not buy the excuse that because it is a different culture that I need to "understand other cultures".
Hitler was not right.
I don't need to understand 1930's Nazi Germany culture.

IT IS WRONG!

The Sun is hot.
I don't need to go to the surface of the Sun.
My protection by the bubble of the earth does not invalidate my conclusion.

IT IS WRONG! IT IS WRONG! IT IS WRONG!