The world of the rich and wealthy__ why throw away money?

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Yeah easy said for you. The typical graduate student is working at McDonald's explain that shit >_>

I already busted my ass thru school I love my job

Capitalism! It leaves many educated people with nothing.

The damn rednecks have all the money.:biggrin1:

rocck333

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Has anyone here ever read the book The Millionaire Nex Door? That tells it all about truly wealthy people. A real eye opener.

D_Cunningham Cumshipper

Just Browsing
Media
That doesn't always pan out either. It's as much as the luck of the draw as anything else. Not everyone can have a good job regardless of what they do.

I guess I should have added "if someone doesn't have some kind of academic/mental/social problem". Otherwise, if you're willing to work hard and were born in the US, there is no real reason that you couldn't get a job paying around $80-100k/yr.

Well I just recently receieved my psychology degree, so:

With the children of rich parents, they buy to feel loved, or to fill the void that inattentive parents have created. They think they will be 'somebody' if they have that expensive 'something'. It's a very fickle world with a lot of bitching and fakeness going on.

They are insecure or have some other problems which they wrongly believe money can solve. If you throw money at your problems, money will throw more problems back at you.

Just what we need here. Someone who took a half dozen classes and thinks majoring in psychology enables him to analyze entire groups of society. . .

I think the problem is that many people are not friends with wealthy people so their impression of "rich" people is based on Paris Hilton and all the Hollywood people you see on TV.

Yeah easy said for you. The typical graduate student is working at McDonald's explain that shit >_>

I already busted my ass thru school I love my job

For someone who loves their job, you sure seem to bitch about it a lot. And what person with a graduate degree works at McDonald's? Unless it's in management I think they messed up somewhere along the line. Not to belittle people working at McD's but you don't need to go to an additional 6+ years of school past high school to learn to flip burgers, pull the McNuggets out of the fryer, or ask people if they would like to Supersize their meal.

I have no idea what kind of grad degree you did, but if you're making $13.45/hour I question the utility of your job and its importance to society.

On that note, I would just like to point out that the people who have this money are being rewarded for their (or someone else they know) contributions to society. Perhaps they did not create a statin or something life-saving like that, but they obviously did something that society wanted or craved.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I saw Suzie Ormond (I think that's her name) on Larry King while changing channels and he asked her how much is wealthy ...and she said $100 million.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am another of the college-educated but underemployed/unemployed people. I have heard of many others. Sometimes it really is simply the luck of the draw. Are you in the right place at the right time, and know the right people?

I do have some problems that contribute to my difficulty in working. My skill level isn't where it should be with my years of experience (partly because I had the job title in name only for several of those years), and partly because of shyness and social anxiety. I'm working more on the shyness than the skill level at this point because the skill level work requires either more work experience (and someone willing to hire me for that job!) or more schooling (which is too expensive and doesn't count in the workplace like work experience does).

As for buying designer clothes and all, sure I might like something like that if it's something I like and have the money for it, but I wouldn't be buying it just for the designer name. I find clothes I like at Target, too. But at this point, I can't even afford to shop at Target! Hopefully I will get back on track. I think what may be even worse than always being poor is constantly fluctuating between middle-class and poor, the way I do.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I guess I should have added "if someone doesn't have some kind of academic/mental/social problem". Otherwise, if you're willing to work hard and were born in the US, there is no real reason that you couldn't get a job paying around $80-100k/yr.

I don't agree with that either.

You have the typical "high and mighty" attitude. Most likely you didn't work hard and were handed everything, and now have to justify your free success by running down those less fortunate. Very typical of those who didn't have to work for what they have. I have never met one of these overpriveledged
rich spoiled brats who isn't that way...

mindfawk

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It's easy to praise God when you're rich, isn't it?

What do these rich Christians love: Jesus or their money? Can't have your cake and it eat, too. Take all their wealth away from them and ask then if they still love Jesus.

Modern Christians will do anything to defend their materialistic ways. Christianity and money don't mix, just like oil an water.:wink:
I disagree with the majority of your entire post but wanted to key in on what I have quoted. I assure you that if the man who owns the company that I work for were to go flat broke tomorrow he would tell you that it was Gods will. I'm not an overly religious person, but you should not attempt to belittle people when you're making an assumption based on nothing.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I disagree with the majority of your entire post but wanted to key in on what I have quoted. I assure you that if the man who owns the company that I work for were to go flat broke tomorrow he would tell you that it was Gods will. I'm not an overly religious person, but you should not attempt to belittle people when you're making an assumption based on nothing.

Assumption? I'm not assuming anything.

If super rich Christians love Jesus so much, then why are they not suffering everyday in his name. A rich Christian is nothing to me but a hypocrite. The Gospels make that more than clear. Jesus is just a "comfort" entity to them or someone to whom they feel culturally obligated to praise.

On the other hand, Mother Theresa knew something about this Jesus that so few people in Christian history ever knew. Although I and many others would not fully agree with all of her moral teachings, I'd be the first to bow to her out of respect if she were still alive. She, my friend, was a Christian. Her heart was most pure. Jesus was real to her; he wasn't just a cultural being or a comfort entity.

I'm not personally attacking you, by the way. I'm simply reacting to things you wrote in your post.

All this said, I'm not defending any religion. I'm simply seeing things as they are written in Christianity's holiest book. I ain't making rules here.

mindfawk

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Assumption? I'm not assuming anything.

If super rich Christians love Jesus so much, then why are they not suffering everyday in his name. A rich Christian is nothing to me but a hypocrite. The Gospels make that more than clear. Jesus is just a "comfort" entity to them or someone to whom they feel culturally obligated to praise.

On the other hand, Mother Theresa knew something about this Jesus that so few people in Christian history ever knew. Although I and many others would not fully agree with all of her moral teachings, I'd be the first to bow to her out of respect if she were still alive. She, my friend, was a Christian. Her heart was most pure. Jesus was real to her; he wasn't just a cultural being or a comfort entity.

I'm not personally attacking you, by the way. I'm simply reacting to things you wrote in your post.

All this said, I'm not defending any religion. I'm simply seeing things as they are written in Christianity's holiest book. I ain't making rules here.
I have known the owner of the company that I work for since I was a kid; he and his wife have gone to church with my grand parents ever since I can remember and this was way back when he and his brother founded the 15 man operation that has grown to have over 60,000 employees. His devotion to his faith cannot be questioned and I'm certain that he's not the only rich Christian in the world who feels the same way.

Using your references it can be twisted to say that that all poor/middle class people are all hypocrites because while they suffer in their own name because they can barely make ends meet or are living comfortably within their own means while not suffering in the name of God.

It sounds more to me like you have an issue with anyone who is financially well off; I don't know what sort of experiences you've had with rich people but they obviously differ from mine.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I have known the owner of the company that I work for since I was a kid; he and his wife have gone to church with my grand parents ever since I can remember and this was way back when he and his brother founded the 15 man operation that has grown to have over 60,000 employees. His devotion to his faith cannot be questioned and I'm certain that he's not the only rich Christian in the world who feels the same way.

Using your references it can be twisted to say that that all poor/middle class people are all hypocrites because while they suffer in their own name because they can barely make ends meet or are living comfortably within their own means while not suffering in the name of God.

It sounds more to me like you have an issue with anyone who is financially well off; I don't know what sort of experiences you've had with rich people but they obviously differ from mine.

I don't have any issue with rich people. I'm just seeing things as they really are. Wealth and Christianity don't mix.

I'm not personally attacking you or your boss. Did you read my last post?

Capitalism is an anti-Christian philosophy. Period. Wealthy Christians, in my opinion, are not true Christians. Period.

You can't convince me otherwise. I'm not going to convince you otherwise.

Peace:wink:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Too much emphasis on $ and not enough on happiness, civility, intelligent behavior, thoughtful action, global awareness...
TRUE! If people of all socio-economic groups focused on the last 4 things you mentioned they would be almost guaranteed to attain happiness.

Well, I own a few bags that have designer labels, one being a Louis Vuitton, I'm a coach girl myself. :tongue:however on the flip side I have no issues wearing a pair of 30 dollar jeans if they fit and look good. I refuse to pay more than $50 for jeans I can't help it. I guess that's the farm girl in me.
Personally I don't have any issues on how people spend their money, even if it's frivolous...and to generalize that wealthy people are snobs or do not value money, that is just a bunch of bullshit. I believe someone on LPSG once said that if someone is dishing out shit it doesn't mean i have to eat it.
Bingo, I quite agree!

It should be noted that the OP is very young and apparently rather sheltered as she has never been exposed to many of the finer things in life.

I was quite frankly aghast that an American female could spend almost 2 decades on the planet and not have heard of Sak's, Dolce& Gabbana, or Fendi. I'm sorry Crissy, but have you spent the last 19 years under a rock?!?

Not for nothing but with the exception of a used Volvo I bought for $5100 a few years ago when I was despereate for cheap, reliable tranportation; I have always prided myself on owning GM cars. That doesn't mean I never noticed the Jaguars, BMW's or Audi's on the highway.

My point is just because you normally shop at Kohl's does not excuse your never having heard of Saks 5th Ave.

Aitch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The ones who inherited it do not understand the value of hard work and making a buck, they are just happy to spend daddy's money. The ones who earned it themselves know the value of money.

As an only child, I stand to inherit a little bit but my folks had me whilst they were still very young so it wont be for a while yet & I think I'll have learnt what to do with it by the time I get it (I'll probably be in my mid to late sixties)! I look upon it as my pension.
I've never earned much, I'm simply not an ambitious person. I quite enjoy the challenge of living on a restricted budget. I'm told that I'm stylish & well dressed but virtually all my clothing (including one or two bits of designer stuff - Max Mara, Armani etc) is sourced from either charity/thrift shops or Ebay. Likewise, homewares.