The World would be a better place without......

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Lordpendragon, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

I watched this film last night.

The Magdalene Sisters

And as this is the rant and rave area, I thought a thread where you could vent your ire at someone or something without which the world would be a better place, would be appropriate.

My world would be better without the catholic church.

Catholics, please don't take this personally, it is the institution not the people.

I think that when institutions become above the law, then they attract evil people who use the institution to abuse people. Whereas good people will do good, with or without an institution.

2. naughty

Gold Member

LP,

I love that movie! Is it not the most heart breaking thing you have ever seen? What is even sadder is that it was preceeded by a documentary called "Sex in a cold climate" which actually interviewed the girls the movie was based on. I would not hate the Catholic church, I would hate the abuses executed by those who proclaim to be God's people on the job.Across the board in any religion you will find individuals who will betray the trust placed upon them. I think what we were seeing was more a cultural issue and a global devaluation of women . Because in each case the families were thinking more about their own reputations in the community than protection of their female offspring. I am sure if Jesus walked through that place he might very well say, "Depart from me, I never knew you".

3. Gisella

Gold Member

Yep...I watched it 2y ago...and yeh was very revolting tragedy situation that went on and on by some religious individuals and their cumplices (families)..for sure the many 'arms' of catholic 'charity' institutions helped many in the past but a lot of went on all over the centuries and places cut deep wounds and atrocities carrying a Christ representative blank card :rolleyes: ... that to be healed must be bring up to the open and to the light.

When a nation have an official religion and institution all powerfull, expect abuses, because for sure as any institution of power it will have some sick psyckos in it..just imagine the possibilities of all kind of sick minds that would choose it as a hidden place....:eek:

As a woman I for sure was very bananas with the situation in the movie..plus i did got tiny taste of few very oppressive individuals behaviours of 'teachers' in 'religious' girls only schools institutions too...:mad:

4. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

I hadn't intended for the thread to be a discussion on my particular wish, but if anyone is interested in the shameful history of the abuse of women by the catholic church in Ireland then this is not a bad synopsis relating to this one incident.

Political Film Society - The Magdalene Sisters

I am afraid that I do not agree, Naughty. The catholic church has been completely complicit in these institutions and the last one only closed in 1996. Furthermore the moral climate that led to people handing over their daughters was wholly the church's doing.

I don't wish to single out the catholic church in Ireland, you have your own paedophile issues in the States and abuses across the developing world are too numerous to list.

So I'll do another one.

The world would be a better place without HIV.

5. naughty

Gold Member

LP,

THough I attended Catholic higher ed, I could not begin to speak for Catholics or for you. I defer to your comments, I have my own opinions about the church which only solidified my Calvinistic upbringing but I did not feel qualified beyond my cursory exposure to make judgement. All I can say is that it was a deplorable situation that ended much too late.

6. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Naughty - is there anything you would like to see the world wthout?

7. Gisella

Gold Member

The world would be a better place without pharmaceutical corporations power and their lobbysts (and govenerments behind the)...most of their guineas pigs comes from the 3rd world. Plus they trick the 1st world market in keep buying the same old new trends in new packages.

Groups of interestes all over the place that wants to make profits and that is it...who cares if people die because they cannot afford foreigner trademark aids drugs..:rolleyes: than 3rd nation governements must use their creativity and even 'steal' their formulas.:biggrin1: :eek: Hobin Hood legend actions still goes on even in corrupt societies...

BBC News | BUSINESS | US drops Brazil Aids drugs case

8. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Absolutely Gisella - I had a friend who was quite high up in one of the big drug companies. Most would be shocked and terrified if they knew of half the power they wield and abuse.

My world would be better without Mosquitos.

9. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Even Milton couldn't justify wood ticks and flies, both of whom summer in Wisconsin. Among local pariahs of Nature, chiggers are the worst.

10. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

The world would be a better place without television.

11. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

People being so judgemental.

If people took more time to analyse, think, and form opinionss rather than just judgeing on the stop, I swear we would have avoided wars before now.

A little more mutual understanding and respect would go a lnog way too.

I think its part of human nature though, to judge too harshly and not bother to try to understand.

12. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Whitney Houston.

13. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    i wholeheartedly agree. As a veteran of 13 years of Catholic boys schools (and 10 years of therapy to get over them) I can attest to the inherent evil that worshipping Gid becomes as soon as it's left to man to organise it into a religion.

I actually wouldn't even single out Catholicism. There is one belief that religion has left me with. They're all equally awful!

"I've always figured that if God wanted us to go to church a lot He'd have given us bigger behinds to sit on and smaller heads to think with" - P J O'Rourke, Holidays In Hell

14. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd add poison oak, meat eating yellowjackets, jellyfish, black ice, and the flu.

15. vindicari

vindicari Member

Albums:
    religion and poloticians spelt (L.I.A.R.S)

16. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    The world would be a better place without PEOPLE.:eek:

17. dreamer20

Gold Member

Have you been possessed by the spirit of Dr. Rock?:tongue:

18. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jessica Simpson

19. snoozan

Gold Member

You were possessed by the spirit of Jessica Simpson? That explains A LOT.

20. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Bitch, shut up or i'll feed you to my dog!!

Draft saved Draft deleted