The Writer's Strike...

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Who's side are you on?

Have you been pissed off by the lack of new episodes, short seasons, and cancellations of award shows?

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i'm all for the strike, but i'm really feeling it with the loss of my shows. i'm actually getting homework done and i don't like it. lol. but i miss Pushing Daisies and Desperate Housewives the most. I don't really care much for the award shows other that "ooh, she looks pretty!" or whatever. i know if i was a writer in the guild, i wiuld be out there picketing like mad. i'd probably even burn down a building or two. lol..

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the writers should strike. They're propping the entertainment industry up on their biros and fountain pens. And giving the fat cats scraps of notepaper to cushion their fat bums.

I didn't know programmes such as talk shows relied so heavily on writers; I thought people like Letterman and Leno wrote their own stuff! Now they have gone down - way down - in my estimations. Not that I really liked them before but I have respect for people that write their own stuff.

When a show is as successful as Desperate Housewives they should pay the writers something on par with what they pay the actors. The show needs the writers more than the actors. With writers you can have a script and always find other actors. An actress with no script is sat there twiddling her pretty little thumbs.

This writer's strike doesn't affect me btw. I watch such quality programming as BBC News 24 and factual programmes on Discovery, Crime Central, etc.

the_reverend

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i'm firmly in favor of the strike. it's upsetting that a lot of my favorite shows are off the air right now, or may have truncated seasons. but the blame for that lies solely on the shoulders of the studios for failing to deal with the writers (you know, the people who actually PRODUCE the creative content for them to air) in a fair and equitable manner. shame on them and until they decided to treat their talent like people and give them their fair share, i say keep the strike going.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Writing is an art, there are so many people who are convinced they can write because they've presented their work to friends and family who give it a resounding thumbs up and declare it a work of art simply because they're unable to say it's rubbish because someone they cared about presented it to them that writers tend to be undervalued. Why shouldn't writers be paid at a rate comparable to actors?

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Who's side are you on?

Have you been pissed off by the lack of new episodes
No.
short seasons
No.
and cancellations of award shows?
No. Never had much interest in awards shows-all they are is filler during the commercial breaks on other stations.

Sadly television programs have been in a downwards spiral for several years. The writers strike has had less of an impact than it would have had some 20 years ago; in large part due to the proliferation of 'REALITY' programs and game shows- Survivor, Big Brother, Biggest Loser, Top Chef, Trading Spaces, Top Designer,Wife Swap, Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy, Supernanny, Deal or No Deal, 1vs.100, etc., etc.. These shows had already whittled away at the need for writers, and the writers had been churning out puke for so long that the 'REALITY' shows were welcomed; even when, they were more putrid than Dick Cheney's tube socks.

Movies and their alleged writers lost credibility at about the time of Rambo. Their big screen version of Beverly Hillbillies essentially seeled the film reel canister for them and buried it under Hoffa's grave (in other words their creativity is long missing).

Television and movie writers rarely even have halfway original ideas- Law and Order(in all of its formats),pulls most of its storylines from the tabloids, changing only the names. The other programs aren't much better. Look at just about any drama or sitcom and the ideas are nothing more than paper thin coverings of what has already been read about in the news or seen on some television entertainment gossip show

May the writers strike go on forever- perhaps it will work to the advantage of legitimate writers everywhere as books are once more purchased and read and magazines again take their rightful place on newsstand shelves.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I didn't answer before so I will answer now. I am on the side of the writers. A few pennies out of the pockets of Millionaire or Billionaire Producers means nothing.

TV is pretty much shit anyway. The only show I watch and will miss is Heroes, and Family guy and the Simpsons.