The younger generation inspires me

B_Guy Love

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just think it's cool that the younger generation (those now coming of age sexually, the teens, early 20s, etc.) are in an age where sex and sexuality isn't so taboo. The younger generation is so much more knowledgeable than my generation was, and I'm only in my early 30s. But by comparison, I feel ancient. I feel like the conventions of the 1980s/90s are the stone age compared to what these beautiful young kids are up to now. :cool:

palmit

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm part of that generation and I'm not nearly as impressed as you seem to be, but things may look different from the inside. On some fronts we seem to be progressing from where previous generations left off, there is a portion of us that may be more open or informed about sex and sexuality than previous generations, but on the same hand there is also an amazingly large group of un/under-informed. Considering the number of school systems that have recently transitioned to teaching abstinence only sexual education all of that progress could soon be lost, especially if the religious push for abstinence only education succeeds (for some reason they see promise in teaching something research proves to be marginally effective.)

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sex may not be a taboo anymore but there seems to still be plenty of kids my age, whether they are informed or not, that have an unsafe sex life. When I was in high school I couldn't believe how many girls in my classes alone had "accidental" births. I have even had girls that expected me to have sex without a condom. I think a lot of them are informed but just aren't taking things as seriously as they should. However, I am glad sex isn't taboo for my generation. I can have a safe sex life at a relatively young age without being looked down upon.

B_Guy Love

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But this push for abstinence has always been around. It's never worked, obviously. Ignorance will always exist. But your generation has more information at its finger tips than any other generation did at your stage. You have more ability to fight ignorance than any other generation did when it was at your age. Yours is the first to come of age during the Internet revolution.

You are probably not impressed because you have nothing to compare it to. You weren't around for the earlier generations.

I'm part of that generation and I'm not nearly as impressed as you seem to be, but things may look different from the inside. On some fronts we seem to be progressing from where previous generations left off, there is a portion of us that may be more open or informed about sex and sexuality than previous generations, but on the same hand there is also an amazingly large group of un/under-informed. Considering the number of school systems that have recently transitioned to teaching abstinence only sexual education all of that progress could soon be lost, especially if the religious push for abstinence only education succeeds (for some reason they see promise in teaching something research proves to be marginally effective.)

B_Guy Love

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I suppose that's what I'm getting at. Sex isn't taboo for your generation. I think that's an important step.

Sex may not be a taboo anymore but there seems to still be plenty of kids my age, whether they are informed or not, that have an unsafe sex life. When I was in high school I couldn't believe how many girls in my classes alone had "accidental" births. I have even had girls that expected me to have sex without a condom. I think a lot of them are informed but just aren't taking things as seriously as they should. However, I am glad sex isn't taboo for my generation. I can have a safe sex life at a relatively young age without being looked down upon.

galaxus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i don't know about it not being taboo. i find many, many, MANY, girls and boys my age (19) who who never experienced sexual activity in any way (like me!). and when they do talk about their sex lives, i know 75% are talkin shit. i don't see the hyper sexual young padults people talk about.

and i say i'm a lil dissapointed. when i first got to college i thought i was gonna lose my virginty by next week. *sigh* i was so wrong! :)

B_Guy Love

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Let me put it this way. Back in 1984 when I was about 10 or 11, Madonna's song "Like a Virgin" scandalized the airwaves. Today, just about every other celebrity is releasing a sex tape.

Maybe I'm not saying it well. I just think society is more healthy and open about sexuality these days. And I think the younger generation ultimately benefits.

rtmfsu

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i think our generation (im 20) has taken great leaps and bounds when it comes to information technology and the use of the internet in a social environment(myspace, lpsg, facebook). for instance, i cant remember a time when i did not have a computer or didnt have access to one. by time i was in middle school i was talking online with AOL instant messenger and playing online role playing games such as diablo II. my generation identifies with the internet and has a huge connection to the internet. i bet ive learned WAY more off the internet than parents and/or teachers have ever taught me. but where we have taken steps forward socially, weve taken steps backward when it comes to family unity (look at the divorce rate), our government (the two best democratic candidates are clinton and obama, whos in office now? oh ya. Bush- hes a winner) we cant quite pin this on our gereration because its not our fault, but i sure dont want to be here in 20 years.

im think im going to move to austrailia cause from what ive seen on this site, id get along with the people there........:biggrin1:
so what i meant was,

i agree