There are no degrees of uniqueness.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Something is either unique or it is not.

A person or thing cannot be very unique, quite unique or a bit unique. A person or thing is either one of a kind or it is not.

Even almost unique doesn't cut it and totally unique is just a tautology.

So please stop doing it. You're pissing me off.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OK we won't tell you how "uniquely unique" you are. :redface: :tongue:

I have heard that phrase used and they didn't even realize how stupid it sounded.

You are right either it is one of a kind or it isn't.

*prepares for :chairshot:*​

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Manly, you are quite uniquely anal.:cool:

The earliest meanings of unique when it entered English around the beginning of the 17th century were “single, sole” and “having no equal.” By the mid-19th century unique had developed a wider meaning, “not typical, unusual,” and it is in this wider sense that it is compared: The foliage on the late-blooming plants is more unique than that on the earlier varieties. The comparison of so-called absolutes in senses that are not absolute is standard in all varieties of speech and writing.

[source]

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

A person or thing cannot be very unique, quite unique or a bit unique. A person or thing is either one of a kind or it is not.

Many people use the words "totally" and "very" as meaningless intensifiers, "bit" or "quite" as meiosis as a meaningless intensifier, which I also frequently do, but you are correct that it isn't grammatically correct to do so when the word cannot logically be intensified.

I am not bothered by the grammatical mistakes of others, so I tend to be careless with my grammar when I speak and write.

I agree with you 110%.

That's hilarious!

D

deleted3782

This reminds me of what architect Frank Lloyd Wright once said of his client Aline Barnsdale "She was neither neo, quasi, or psuedo." He designed for her Hollyhock House. I always liked that description. Its kinda quasi psuedo unique.

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media

What inspired this? Specific post, specific situation, etc. or just something that's been on your mind?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I'll agree. It's a black-and-white concept. People don't like those.
No it's not.
As one poster noted above:

The earliest meanings of unique when it entered English around the beginning of the 17th century were “single, sole” and “having no equal.” By the mid-19th century unique had developed a wider meaning, “not typical, unusual,” and it is in this wider sense that it is compared: The foliage on the late-blooming plants is more unique than that on the earlier varieties. The comparison of so-called absolutes in senses that are not absolute is standard in all varieties of speech and writing.

So someone was trying to help manly.
But did she lissen?
Noooo.