There are no stupid questions,

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Hickboy, Aug 2, 2007.

1. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

but there are plenty of malicious ones. There are intellectuals, and there are journalists, but they rarely are united in one room, let alone in one person.

I want people to understand one thing: When I get in argument, it is rarely against the ideas the other side is presenting. More than 95% of the time it's because the other guy has adopted a dualistic, adversarial mindset and I'm toying with him. There are a few people who are LPSG members or recent bannees whose default position is one of "THIS versus THAT", folks who believe that there are two sides to every story. Life, EVERYTHING is more complex than that. There are MANY sides to every debate, and I take great joy in skewering those who take the extreme position in the interest of "balance" then start throwing enough rocks to build a wall around themselves. These are usually the people who preach "live and let live" until they want to throw a tantrum and then believe it's their God-given right to grauitously insult everyone who doesn't instntly conform to their myopic, and narrowly defined version of reality. Spoiled brats, vandals, and hypocrites, all of them. Broken though they may be, they are my favorite toys.

There is no US vs. THEM. There is only US. You have the option of choosing sides, but such behavior, and the mindset that motivates it, is rarely fruitful.

Another facet of my posting behavior has recently come under fire, and I'd like to waste a few electrons addressing it. I've been criticized for giving short (Tourette's - like!) answers to the rants of some especially hostile people. Too bad. You may believe your rivers of vitriol deserve an equally long-winded response. I don't. I respect ideas and people and logic too much to overdefine anything. "A word to the wise is sufficient." The flip side is that you can write a book and though the unwise may read it cover to cover, they will never be satisfied. So don't think that when I reply with few words it means I lack the intellectual capacity to get my brain all the way around your arguments. I have both the intellect and the integrity not to elevate unworthy concepts above the mud from which they were flung. I also have the common sense to drop a turd rather than turn it over and over in my hands waiting for it to turn into a diamond and start sparkling. So don't hand me shit and call it an emerald. I weren't born in Baghdad, and I weren't born yesterday, all right?

I turn away quickly when the tone of another's words crosses the line from impassioned to hysterical. Either that, or I bait them. And some people are so easily baited. Those are the ones who would do well to keep their mouths shut. They are also the least likely to do so.

I'm done preaching now. Y'all have a nice day!

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I've never had a problem with your posting style, and you know that. However, someone apparently called you a name or something and I sat back and didn't come to your rescue, so that makes me worthless as a human being... which is okay, I suppose. You have a right to your opinions.

May I ask why you aren't a moderator anymore?

3. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I don't understand why people have such trouble getting their point across without going into histrionics and mud slinging.

4. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

You assume that my opinion of you has changed. I didn't say it, but if there's something you feel guilty about you can tell e by PM.

Yes, you may. I'm not ready to give a complete answer, but asking is OK. I resigned for two reasons: one was to defend a man I called friend. The other, and overridingly important, was a matter of honor.

5. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Thanks.

6. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

I sensed that the option to take a walk along the banks of the River Neckar, soaking in the summer sun before the monsoon-like rains returned, was altogether a better option yet.

Looking around online today, I see I was right. :rolleyes:

7. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Typical ivory tower elitist east coast ivy league liberal bomb-throwing bible-thumping fundamentalist red state hate-speech lies.

8. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

But Alex meant no harm ...:rolleyes:

9. Principessa

Gold Member

10. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Hicks, I accept much of what you say -- but what is your post, if not dualistic and adversarial?
    Now, maybe you're fighting fire with fire.
    But equally likely, maybe you're not as clear as you hope to be.

11. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hickboy:

You're missing the point. You're supposed to get so wrapped up in your web persona that you become homicidally hostile at the slightest dis.

12. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

God dammit! You know what I think of you stepping down! Your pm inbox already told you that. *pouts*

13. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    If there are no stupid questions then please answer my PM, Hick.

14. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

You are really, really homesick, aren't you?

15. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hick ....with you no longer a moderator ..I feel so ...so naked

16. cklover

Gold Member

Albums:
    Relativism...moral, cultural, ethical, sexual...etc....either one keeps an open mind and circles around different points of view, mulling them all over, considering, or he/she adopts and adheres to one and one only. People who close in and narrow their points of view, become dogmatic and intolerant. People who continue to appraise, analyze, and reflect on many points of view gain insight, but wind up feeling out there all alone. We all pay a price, don't we?

17. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Yeah, and sometimes the price of not being alone is way too high.

18. Principessa

Gold Member

OMFG! For the first time ever I agree with Arliss, I understand how he feels!!! . . . (njqt466 shivers for surely hell must be freezing over.) :frown1: :eek5: :yikes:

Hmm, I don't think I understand what you mean.

I'm an only child and a loner at heart. I have always been one of those people that can be alone in a crowd even if I know half the people there. I tend to fade into the wood work I guess.

19. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I mean, having company for the sake of avoiding loneliness sometimes comes at a high emotional and psychic price.

20. Principessa

Gold Member

Okay, this I understand and yes you are correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted