There is no way this man should be running the justice department

D

deleted15807

From the WashPost Editorial Board.

IS MATTHEW G. WHITAKER the legitimate acting attorney general? From approximately the second President Trump ousted Attorney General Jeff Sessions and tapped Mr. Whitaker to temporarily exercise the office’s vast authority, legal experts have sparred over whether Mr. Trump can unilaterally elevate someone from a role that does not require Senate confirmation to one that does. But regardless of whether the promotion is legal, it is very clear that it is unwise. Mr. Whitaker is unfit for the job.

Several prominent legal scholars point out that the Constitution demands that “principal officers” of the United States must undergo Senate confirmation. A 19th-century Supreme Court case suggests there may be limited room for temporary fill-ins, but Mr. Whitaker’s appoi
ntment is hardly so temporary; he could serve for most of the rest of Mr. Trump’s first term. Even if Mr. Whitaker’s promotion is constitutional, Congress passed a lawgoverning Justice Department succession that also seems to prohibit Mr. Whitaker’s ascent. The department has a capable, Senate-confirmed deputy attorney general in Rod J. Rosenstein; he should be running the department in the absence of a permanent replacement.

The Senate above all should be offended by the president’s end run around its authority. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) should demand hearings and consider filing a lawsuit. Instead, he is helping to establish a troubling precedent, saying only that he expects Mr. Whitaker to be a “very interim AG.” Yet no random official should be endowed with all the powers of an office as powerful as attorney general, meant for a Senate-vetted individual, even for a relatively short time.

And Mr. Whitaker is worse than random. It took less than 24 hours for material to emerge suggesting he could not survive even a rudimentary vetting.

First, there are Mr. Whitaker’s statements criticizing the Russia probe of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III. At the least, they require him to consult Justice Department ethics counsel about whether he can oversee the inquiry with a plausible appearance of evenhandedness. He will do immediate and lasting harm to the Justice Department’s reputation, and to the nation, if he assumes the role of president’s personal henchman and impedes the Mueller probe.

Then there is Mr. Whitaker’s connection to a defunct patent promotion company the Federal Trade Commission called “an invention-promotion scam that has bilked thousands of consumers out of millions of dollars.” Mr. Whitaker served on its board and once threatened a complaining customer, lending the weight of his former position as U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Iowa to the company’s scheme.

Finally, and fundamentally most damning, is Mr. Whitaker’s expressed hostility to Marbury v. Madison, a central case — the central case — in the American constitutional system. It established an indispensable principle: The courts decide what is and is not constitutional. Without Marbury, there would be no effective judicial check on the political branches, no matter how egregious their actions.

If the Senate were consulted, it is impossible to imagine Mr. Whitaker getting close to the attorney general’s office. He should not be there now.

Pretty good take but they left out Whitaker's claim that only christians can be good judges.

Crook, legal dodo-brain, and religious fanatic. Even Trump hits only two out of three on that list.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
its expected by something that doesent put any thought into anything with its
limited brainpower
pure amateurism
probably no decent advisors,been like that all its time in office mot that ignorance allows it to listen to such
saw an aticle regarding this persons supposed credentials, similar to a lot/many of the other idiots bumbling there way along supposedly governing the greatest democracy in the world
- self proffessed
does make me wonder how/why you the people allow such to happen,4/8 years,then go onto something similar
no sympathy really

legal experts have sparred over whether Mr. Trump can unilaterally elevate someone from a role that does not require Senate confirmation to one that does. But regardless of whether the promotion is legal, it is very clear that it is unwise. Mr. Whitaker is unfit for the job.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
@sargon20, exactly the kind of GUTLESS INACTION one CAN expect from a worthless bunch of Trump shill and supporters.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...ney-general-pick-rather-than-doing-their-jobs
GOP leadership pathetically begs Trump for new attorney general pick rather than doing their [FKNG] jobs

"Senate GOP leadership is desperate not to act on the Protect Mueller bill, co-sponsored by two GOP members, that's already cleared the Senate Judiciary Committee. So desperate, in fact, they're trying to reason Donald Trump into the swift nomination of a new attorney general to replace his disastrous acting attorney general pick. Politico writes:

They said that naming an attorney general nominee as soon as possible — specifically one who would vow to preserve the Russia probe — would go a long way in halting legislative momentum to protect Mueller and Democratic messaging that acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker will undermine the investigation.

That "Democratic messaging" includes simply highlighting the many times Whitaker himself said he distrusted the investigation, thought it had gone too far, and pondered ways to blunt and/or effectively shut it down.

GOP Sen. John Cornyn of Texas explained, “If we had some confidence that there is somebody nominated that would be confirmed in a reasonable period of time, to me it seems like it would relieve a lot of the controversy."

Or you could do your job and pass legislation."

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Guys, why do you on the left get so upset Everytime this President does something? If Jeff Sessions wasn't going to do his job he should never have taken the job. To take it and then recuse himself was a slap in the face. Now you object to his replacement because he might actually do his job.

You guys seem to think that the President shouldn't do anything he's doing. Welcome to our world. We felt the same way when Obama did some things we didn't like.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If Jeff Sessions wasn't going to do his job he should never have taken the job. To take it and then recuse himself was a slap in the face. Now you object to his replacement because he might actually do his job.
What "job" did Jeff Sessions not do?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
He recused himself from oversight of the Mueller investigation.
That's the "reason Trump fired him. That's obstruction of Justice.

"During the course of the confirmation proceedings on my nomination to be Attorney General, I advised the Senate Judiciary Committee that ‘f a specific matter arose where I believed my impartiality might reasonably be questioned, I would consult with Department ethics officials regarding the most appropriate way to proceed.’

During the course of the last several weeks, I have met with the relevant senior career Department officials to discuss whether I should recuse myself from any matters arising from the campaigns for President of the United States.

“Having concluded those meetings today, I have decided to recuse myself from any existing or future investigations of any matters related in any way to the campaigns for President of the United States."
Attorney General Sessions Statement on Recusal

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
And THAT rationale, a PERFECT example of the Bizarro world, alternate reality MENTALITY of Trump's shills, supporters, and apologists.

No, that is common sense. If Loretta Lynch had recused herself on the Hillary investigations you guys on the left would have been outraged.

Yet you seem to be of the opinion that we are wrong because Sessions recused himself. He shouldn't have taken the job if he wasn't going to do it 100℅.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
No, that is common sense. If Loretta Lynch had recused herself on the Hillary investigations you guys on the left would have been outraged.

Yet you seem to be of the opinion that we are wrong because Sessions recused himself. He shouldn't have taken the job if he wasn't going to do it 100℅.
I glad you MENTIONED that. Because there were SEVEN investigations orchestrated by Republicans of Hillary Clinton, over the span of several years. Remind me how many were indicted, charged, or found guilty of some crime again?

The Mueller investigation has resulted in THESE people either pleading guilty, or being charged, found guilty, and/or convicted of crimes:

Everyone Who’s Been Charged as a Result of the Mueller Investigation - The New York Times
Yet YOU somehow think it was Sessions' JOB to impede this investigation and OBSTRUCT JUSTICE? Because Trump gave him the JOB??

Btw, which part of 'JUSTICE" do you not get?

So let me get this straight. If YOUR boss gave you a job to oversee safe working conditions on a job site, for example, then asked you to IGNORE safety protocols and guidelines, YOU'D go along with it because he gave you the job????

Dude... wtf????????

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

I glad you MENTIONED that. Because there were SEVEN investigations orchestrated by Republicans of Hillary Clinton, over the span of several years. Remind me how many were indicted, charged, or found guilty of some crime again?

The Mueller investigation has resulted in THESE people either pleading guilty, or being charged, found guilty, and/or convicted of crimes:

Everyone Who’s Been Charged as a Result of the Mueller Investigation - The New York Times
Yet YOU somehow think it was Sessions' JOB to impede this investigation and OBSTRUCT JUSTICE? Because Trump gave him the JOB??

So let me get this straight. If YOUR boss gave you a job to oversee safe working conditions on a job site, for example, then asked you to IGNORE safety protocols and guidelines, YOU'D go along with it because he gave you the job????

Dude... wtf????????

And a graphic for the learning impaired:

upload_2018-11-16_17-17-46-png.1363217

And the list will get longer as Mueller works his way up the ladder all the way up to Agent Orange. For a "whitch hunt" there sure are a lot of witches.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Yep... and btw... regarding that argument about why Sessions "took the job" ... Jeff Sessions was appointed Attorney General, then confirmed and sworn in on February 9th, 2017.

The Mueller investigation began May 17, 2017.

Reactions: deleted15807

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Dude... wtf????????

No American citizen has ever been found guilty of collusion. Or interfering with the election.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
No American citizen has ever been found guilty of collusion. Or interfering with the election.
Last I heard the investigation was ONGOING. Also what you have conveniently forgotten is the fact that Sessions recused himself to avoid the appearance of conflict of interests (and WHO KNOWS what else) when contacts between himself and a certain Russians ambassador became public knowledge.

Then again in TRUMP world his flunkies are supposed to throw THEMSELVES under the bus. Remind me again, how many of his cronies have bitten the DUST?? SO far??

Now his "acting" (and poorly I might add) AG is being investigated, for bogus-assed, fraudulent, telemarketing schemes (like those of his boss).

What can I say.... BIRDS OF A FEATHER...

SPEAKING of which...

Suspected Russian NRA operative reportedly ready to spill the beans in exchange for plea deal

Last edited:

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
He shouldn't have taken the job if he wasn't going to do it 100℅.

Recusing himself from investigations that involve him *is* part of the Attorney General's job. One of the most important parts.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Recusing himself from investigations that involve him *is* part of the Attorney General's job. One of the most important parts.
And firing the AG because he recused himself from an investigation that includes both the president and the AG is obstruction of justice.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Pretty good take but they left out Whitaker's claim that only christians can be good judges.

Donald Trump is an Evangelical Christian. Sorry to burst your bubble. He loves God so, so much. That's why Whitaker loves him. Only pronounced Christians can be judges AND presidents. Sorry - Whitaker is just following the Constitution as he's a strict Constitutionalist like Ted Cruz.

D

deleted15807

Isn’t it sad that none of this is surprising anymore?

No other employees and no identifiable source of funding? Sounds perfectly above reproach and concern. The head of the Justice Department could be totally compromised but given he was not confirmed by the Senate and was installed possibly illegally how will we know?

In the three years after he arrived in Washington in 2014, Matthew G. Whitaker received more than $1.2 million as the leader of a charity that reported having no other employees, some of the best pay of his career.

The Foundation for Accountability and Civic Trust described itself as a new watchdog nonprofit dedicated to exposing unethical conduct by public officials. For Whitaker, it became a lucrative steppingstone in a swift rise from a modest law practice in Iowa to the nation’s top law enforcement job. As FACT’s president, he regularly appeared on radio and television, often to skewer liberals.

But FACT’s origins and the source of funding used to pay Whitaker — now the acting attorney general — remain obscured. An examination of state and federal records, and interviews with those involved, show that the group is part of a national network of nonprofits that often work in concert to amplify conservative messages.

Conservative nonprofit with obscure roots and undisclosed funders paid Matthew Whitaker $1.2 million

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Donald Trump is an Evangelical Christian. Sorry to burst your bubble. He loves God so, so much. That's why Whitaker loves him. Only pronounced Christians can be judges AND presidents. Sorry - Whitaker is just following the Constitution as he's a strict Constitutionalist like Ted Cruz.

No way is Trump an evangelical. He does advance the agenda of conservative evangelicals like no president before him (even Bush, who was Evangelical) but that's just a means to an end. Trump's agnostic at best. His god is money.