There's a Rat in me Kitchen What Ima gonna do?

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Rremember...your best bet above all is to STAB them with a sharp knife. No really. Whne the others hear the dying screams of the others they might reconsider their plans. Stab them, stab them, stab them.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Now I am skeeved out by that biting, jumping, large family having, smart, trap avoiding rat. What are the chances he'll get bored and leave?

I think I may have one of those sonic pest repellers somewhere, the kind you plug in. I think I just heard some scurrying, but it may have been (hopefully) noise from outside.

They say that they are more scare of you than you are of them, if he didn't run into the closet, I might have. :biggrin1:

I do hope he can find it in himself to come out of the closet :rolleyes:.

D_Jerry_Atric

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Get a Hav a heart trap (the type that does not kill animals but traps them), and trap it and set it outside and don't kill it.

Domesticated rats make great pets. I used to have one as a kid.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Now I am skeeved out by that biting, jumping, large family having, smart, trap avoiding rat. What are the chances he'll get bored and leave?

I think I may have one of those sonic pest repellers somewhere, the kind you plug in. I think I just heard some scurrying, but it may have been (hopefully) noise from outside.

They say that they are more scare of you than you are of them, if he didn't run into the closet, I might have. :biggrin1:

Man, Mem, just buy the damn big ol' rat trap and snap the sucker's neck. Don't hope to god he'll leave; odds are he'll wait for the next batch of food to be left out. And those sonic repellers? Sure they're good- on smaller animals/insects, but a rat? Don't even think it.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know if you own or rent, but If you own it I would call a professional to make sure that there is not a family of them. If you rent I think it's your landlords responsibility. I think I would have to move if there was a rat in my apartment. About once a year when the weather turns cold a mouse manages to sneak in through the gas line in the oven, the poor thing is usually half dead by the time my dog starts barking and trying to play with it. I just scoop it up in a dust pan and put it in the garden out back and hope for the best. Also keeping all foods in airtight containers had kept my home fairly pest free!

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Rats don't travel far from their nest. They can chew through everything from plastic to wood to metal. They can short circuit wiring and cause fires. Rats only need a hole about an inch and a quarter to gain access to someplace. If you think that's remarkable, mice only need a hole the size of a dime.

Buy yourself a rat trap and put it along the wall where you saw the rat. Take everything out of that closet and look for holes they could fit through. Rats deposit droppings and urine as a way for other rats to track them. If one rat makes a track, other rats will follow that track.

Place the trap along the wall and bait it with peanut butter. Do not set the trap. Wait until you wake-up one morning and see that the peanut butter has been consumed. Rats are sensitive to change in environment and the sudden appearance of the trap will cause the rat to avoid it for a bit. The rat needs to feel safe around the trap before it will take the bait. It may nudge the trap or crawl around it a bit before trusting it. If the trap trips too early the rat may not go near it again. Rats are not as curious as mice, sadly.

Everyone says to place the traps perpendicular to the wall, but if you know where the hole is, I find placing it lengthwise with the bait end pointed toward the hole more fruitful. If the rat eats the peanut butter and pees or poops on the trap, and this is gross so use plastic gloves, just rebait and set the trap. The plastic gloves will also help keep your scent off the trap. Try not to clean off the feces and urine as those things will tell the rat that the trap is safe. Washing the trap with bleach or even dish washing liquid will change the scent of the trap and cause the rat to avoid it again for a while.

Rats do bite and they carry all kinds of nasty things so if you capture a rat and find it's not quite dead, either kill it or wait for it die. Don't use glue traps. They're very cruel and a dying rat will squeal for ages, possibly drawing more rats to it. Good old snap traps are best but they can break your finger if the bail lands on it so be very careful setting them. D-Con makes a rat trap with a plastic tab that holds the restraining bar. These are easier to set and safer than the older metal tab models. Get those if the store has them.

Good luck with your rats!
Wow that's awesome. Great advice.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
one time we had a rat made its hole behind the washer/dryer unit, yah? i ended up ripping the unit away from its cubby hole thing. it was fun, but hell for get it back in its cubby hole closet thing

get one of those humane sticky traps, baited with beef jerky or peanut butter

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
get one of those humane sticky traps, baited with beef jerky or peanut butter

Fuck that shit, he's dead now. I would freak out to have a live rat squealing and have to take it outside, I was grossed out by having to see a dead one.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Thanks for the tips petergroot and jason. I'll try the peanut butter bait next time.

Rats do bite and they carry all kinds of nasty things so if you capture a rat and find it's not quite dead, either kill it or wait for it die. Don't use glue traps. They're very cruel and a dying rat will squeal for ages, possibly drawing more rats to it. Good old snap traps are best...

It's such a joy to hear the squeal that tells me a rat has been trapped by my glue trap. And this is how I silence it::smile:

...Once the critter is caught I bring a kettle of water to its boiling point. I carry the kettle and trap, with the struggling creature attached, outdoors. Rest the trap on the ground. Soak the critter liberally with boiling water and it will be killed and come loose from the trap. After carefully removing the corpse etc. and shaking the water off of the trap it can be used again. Waits for response from PETA.:wink:

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Man that sucks....when I lived in DC the rats and roaches were out of control so I feel ya (and Im not talking about the politicians). I know a hippie chick who says she can communicate with vermin and ask them to leave. Pvt me if you want Pumpkin's cellie number.

D

deleted136887

You are much more humane than I am. If a critter is in my home and I kill it, I do not feel bad.

]The People has spoken:
You have to take it out. Not with poison, it will die in a corner and stink.
Trap, using PEANUT BUTTER as bait.
Quick, the extended family and in-laws, friends, associates, neighbours of said rat are packed and ready to move in.
Twenty seven mice in your kitchen!?! :yikes: I woulda had to move. What were you doing, filming the sequel to Ben? And what's up with the deadly snake in your house attacking the family dog?!?
We live up on the back of Table mountain in Cape town, not too many houses above us, the mountain is sort of wild (national park) Still plenty of cobras in this area, so quite a few people get them in/next to their houses in the spring and summer. 27 mice.....Pregnant Mother mouse obviously moved in, the dogs food were availible, she gave birth. Viola instant family. Us being greenies, we had to get a catch and release trap, so we counted the little bastards before releasing them in the garden. I can tell you they were in SUPERB condition, eating upmarket dog food.You learn to live with them(the mice and the cobras, as long as they stay OUTSIDE!) I have to add this happened over a period of months.
Anyway the dog survived after 5 vials of anivenom and 2 days on a ventilator. Cost USD 1200. I was pissed off.
SO.... now the dogs get fed, the bowls get removed and cleaned after 20 mins, there is no food for the rats/mice, no problem