there's a thin line

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Penis envy--you wish you had a penis that looked like the one you're staring at.

Gay--you want to fondle and suck the penis you're looking at.

pseudocognomen

Experimental Member
Media
Sounds like a trick question since they are totally unrelated.
How about this one? What's the difference between blue and five? :confused:

Penis envy is from a lack of satisfaction/confidence in what you have. Being gay is a sexual orientation. People with penis envy may or may not be gay. Gay people may or may not have penis envy.

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
No, there isn't a thin line, they're on different continents:

Penis envy is looking at a big one and thinking "Jesus christ! I wish mine was that size"

Being gay is looking at a big one and thinking "Jesus christ! I wish I was playing with that thing!"

Homosexuality is about sexual preference, about who you want to do it with in the bedroom, penis envy doesn't require any lust at all, but jelousy.

Saying they're related is like saying if one person says "damn, I wish I was as wealthy as Bill Gates!" somebody else acuses him of being gay because Bill Gates is a man!

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No, there isn't a thin line, they're on different continents:

Penis envy is looking at a big one and thinking "Jesus christ! I wish mine was that size"

Being gay is looking at a big one and thinking "Jesus christ! I wish I was playing with that thing!"

Homosexuality is about sexual preference, about who you want to do it with in the bedroom, penis envy doesn't require any lust at all, but jelousy.

Saying they're related is like saying if one person says "damn, I wish I was as wealthy as Bill Gates!" somebody else acuses him of being gay because Bill Gates is a man![/quote

Yep, I have penis envy. I am jealous of the big guys. I am not gay and am not sexually attracted to them. There is a BIG difference.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Then again, if someone is thinking that they're similar, they may be trying to rationalize an orientation that they're not ready to embrace -- like the fire engine who describe himself as "red-curious".

Belly_Dancer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
You can be gay and not even have a penis.................
Mr Ed

True. I don't have penis envy, but I am a little bit gay...

Oops. I think the OP is talking to people who already have penises, but like looking at, or wish they had larger penises. He probably isn't talking to people who have no penis at all.

My bad. :tongue:

Belly_Dancer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I thought penis envy was Freud's way of understanding what women want?

That is where the phrase originated. S. Freud believed that in one developmental stage in childhood, girls realize that boys have something they don't, and are jealous. Even when I first heard about this in High School Psychology class, I thought it was pretty arrogant of a man to assume this about women or girls, even if that man was Freud. I also thought it was stupid, because although I like penises, I really have never wanted one. Really. Honest.

If anyone cares, here's a (really annoying, IMO) blurb about Freud's theory of penis envy:

The little girl notices the strikingly visible and well-proportioned penis of a brother or playmate, immediately recognizing it as the superior counterpart of her own small and hidden little organ and from then on she is subject to penis envy. She has seen it, knows that she does not have it, and wants it. This is the way Freud describes penis envy in Some Psychical Consequences of the Anatomical Distinction between the Sexes.

The first allusion to envy in relation to the penis appears in On the Sexual Theories of Children in 1908; the little girl then declares "that she would rather be a boy." ... Freud says that the little girl would rather be a boy but then the accent is put, not on the situation of boys in general, but on the possession of the male sexual organ in itself. The girl reproaches her mother with not having given her one and turns away from her to take the father as a love object. Penis envy and the castration complex thus bring her into the Oedipus complex out of which, unlike the boy, she will never emerge. The desire for a penis is replaced by the desire for a child by the father. But, whereas the boy identifies with the rival and forbidding father and thus constitutes a solid superego, the girl does not manage to produce a superego of the same quality. The result is a series of feminine characteristics: the woman "displays a lesser sense of justice, a lesser inclination to submit herself to the great necessities of life," "she more often allows herself to be guided in her decisions by tender and hostile sentiments." In short, we must not allow ourselves "to be misled by the argumentations of feminists who want to impose on us a complete parity of position and appreciation between the sexes."

Freud's position is linked to his phallocentrism and he failed to assess the degree to which it derived from the patriarchal culture in which he lived. He studied only the case of boys in depth and deducted from it, mutatis mutandis, conclusions concerning girls. He could not conceive of women except in negative terms: in order to become a woman, a man would have to renounce his penis. He was unable to conceive of women in a positive manner, as equipped with organs in which the man is lacking. He could conceive that a man might be afraid of women who want to take his penis from him. He could not conceive of men desiring femininity, maternity, or breasts. Women could have the fantasy of being no more than castrated men. Freud asserted that the castration of women was a reality that they had to accept. He thus forced them into a feeling of inferiority from which it is difficult to see a way out.

(Reference: penis envy: Definition and Much More from Answers.com)

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Being gay is much more than the penis....however if I must.........being gay, you certainly do have a finer appreciation of the penis.