Theyre baa-aaack

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Barbi_Queue, Dec 15, 2004.

1. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

Alright, so this may not be a topic of interest to most of you, but I'm so stuck in the 80's it's pitiful. I was almost kind of happy to hear that legwarmers are making a comeback.....almost. ^_^

But seriously, for those who haven't heard yet....after 20 yrs, the original 5 members of Duran Duran reunited and cut a new album, and it's actually pretty damn good - unlike their last 2 (granted, this is coming from a Duranie). Anyhow, it's called Astronaut and I hear it's bigger on the Dance charts (I don't get out much to go clubbin' any more).

There is even a show on VH1 called The Set that made it's debut last night. It's a mix of a concert and freaky fans that have crawled out of the woodwork for interviews. :D

Just thought I'd mention it...... :rolleyes:

2. madame_zora

Gold Member

Aww, I still have a soft spot for those guys. I don't know if I'll buy the cd but I'd probably go see them if they come anywhere close just out of nostalgia. Thanks for the heads up, Tx!

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

The 1980's were made magical by that unique music and Duran Duran were definitely leaders of the genre (I was a Kinks fan but that ages me.) It was, after all, Michael Jackson's height and who'll ever forget Madness, Men Without Hats and that one-hit wonder, Taco.

Not to say that all '80's music was wonderful - I still have nightmares of a cross-dressing little clown singing "Karma, karma, karma, karma, karma chameleon...."

I'm hungry.

Like the wolf.

4. KinkGuy

Gold Member

"We are devo"

5. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

If we're talking about the Eighties, we have to mention VH1's pick as the most popular one-hit wonder of that decade: can we ever forget Toni Basil's Hey Mickey? I should hope not!

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

Or "Video Killed the Radio Star", was the the Buggles?

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Another 80's one-hit wonder: Rockwell.

"Somebody's Watching Me!"

I know who was watching - it was Michael Jackson - "Don't worry, Rockwell honey, it's not incest, we're only distant cousins."

8. wonderland

wonderland Member

Six of my friends and I already have tickets to the show here in Chicago. It's not till March but since I never saw them in concert the first time around I'm excited about seeing them this time around.

9. Socket4Plug

Socket4Plug New Member

Ahh the 80's One Hit Wonders...Taco, Lipps Inc., Gary Newman, Diesel, Soft Cell, Frida, Nena, Mary Jane Girls, Timbuk 3...and so many more.

Who can forget...The Vapors - Turning Japanese!

Good times.

PS - Technically The Buggles wasn't a OHW of the 80's, they were top of the UK charts in 1979. But the hit song Video Killed The Radio Star didn't really get a lot of play in the US until the video debut on MTV August 1, 1981. It's still 80's to me though!

10. SurferGirlCA

Gold Member

TexAssgirl, I agree. The new DD cd is really good! If anyone wants to check out a new band that seems to be channeling Simon and the boys at times, check out The Killers and their cd "Hot Fuss". I saw them play a show in L.A. and they kicked a** !

11. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

The office has had the misfortune of having a radio station that lists among some old christmas songs, which, much to my chagrin has that BAND AID song, Do they know it's Christmas at all?" with who else, but Duran Duran leading off the vocals. Personally, I always thought they had big egos, giving themselves more vocal time than the other Brit musicians, but that's just me.

12. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

I like Do They Know It's Christmas ... and it was Paul Young who led off the vocals, not any member of Duran Duran. And didn't Boy George look just hideous in the video? :eek:

13. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Actually, There, DMW, as someone who's MTV so graciously provided a whole segment on it 20 yrs I do believe that DD did indeed have a small participation in the video.

Even so, DD were still such pompous asses the very implication of them being them there was circumspect for them and them alone. They wouldn't have had the better bulk of their notarity if Nick Rhodes wasn't part of the group, with or without Hungry like the wolf.

But, to the point of Mr George O'Dowd, AKA, Boy George, yeah, he was looking hellacious wasn't he? That was about the time when and where his drug problem had hit the fan. But he still did manage to keep it together for his part in the video. You should've caught a glimpse of him one time on the front cover of the ENQUIRER, and then on an episode of the A-team.

14. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Yeah, DD have a part in it. By you're wording, I thought you meant that they had the first line of the song. That was Paul Young. At the Live Aid concert, that honour went to David Bowie.

15. D_Barbi_Queue

I love that song too, but the line that always haunts me from it is Bono's "But tonight thank God it's them, instead of you" - kind of makes me feel like a piece of shit.

16. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Bob Geldoff has commented on what he meant by that line. It wasn't a 'better-them-than-me' type of thing. It was a reminder that we count our blessings, and in recognising our good fortune, we should help those who do not share it. But I agree that it was an unfortunate way of wording it.

17. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

DMW, as a teacher, I'd think you would've thought the word describing it shouldv'e been inappropriate. Afterall, the inference of the verse is that the brits musicians are selfish over "who" it happens to.

18. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

I don't think it was inappropriate. The sentence was open to more than one interpretation, but the sentiment intended was genuine. 'Inappropriate' implies that Bob purposefully intended that the words be seen as an expression of selfishness, but that wasn't the case. He is not responsible for what we infer if his implication is innocent. I just think that it should've been worded less ambiguously, thus my use of the word 'unfortunate'.

19. D_Barbi_Queue

it makes perfect sense to me.

20. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

I don't think it was inappropriate. The sentence was open to more than one interpretation, but the sentiment intended was genuine. 'Inappropriate' implies that Bob purposefully intended that the words be seen as an expression of selfishness, but that wasn't the case. He is not responsible for what we infer if his implication is innocent. I just think that it should've been worded less ambiguously, thus my use of the word 'unfortunate'.
    [post=271125]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

I might be normally inclined to agree with you on some levels there, DMW, since you have a keen intellect, but now I find myself unable to soley predicated on the lone fact that interpretation makes up only part of a musician's role.

If you conclude that the implication was not inappropriate, then that would seem to state that I must subscribe to the notion that he absolves himself capriciously of this fact, which I don't. My feeling and humble opinion is that the adjective in question should not rely on personal misfortune, but rather a conscious and social, but not political responsibility.

Draft saved Draft deleted