Thin women look better clothed, larger women look better naked?

wi_sugargrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am not knocking my fellow Zaftig sisters.

Perhaps the reason larger women look better nude is; because many large women have no clue how to dress appropriately for their figure. I have had a few plus size friends over the years; and they either wear clothes which are too tight or too big. Rarely have I seen them in anything that actually fits their form.

Since gaining a few extra pounds I have noticed I have a tendency to wear big shirts or over-sized sweaters. Yet, I have had men tell me I look good at my current weight.

You are so right Njqt466 - it is very hard to find attractive, affordable clothes if a person doesn't fit "the mold". I think there are several factors to this:

1 - there are very few brands that even attempt to sell attractive clothing for larger women - usually things stop at size 14.

2 - stores that sell brands that DO make attractive clothing for in larger sizes only sell that brand in Missy or Petite sizes - why bother to dress the "woman" in something nice!

3 - the clothing that most stores sell for women are shaped like tents - no shape whatsoever. I don't know if that's due to them being foreign made, the cost of extra material or just the lack of good design.

I'm sure there are other points I'm not thinking of. Boston Store is great - they sell Jones NY and Laura Ashley for very affordable prices. Quite frankly, it's the best store I've ever been in with such a nice selection. Other stores, like Talbots, etc., set their prices so high a person has $400 in 2 pairs of pants and a jacket. My problem is 2 fold - I am "petite" in that I'm short waisted - so I have to get women's petite sizes which pretty much sucks in the clothing-finding department.

Sugar

B_Epic_Size

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not saying that thin women don't look good naked, nor that larger women don't look good clothed, but I am wondering if they each look better as in the title and what that says about our stereotypes.

Larger ladies should go naked :biggrin1:

Yeah yeah, so should "larger" men. :rolleyes:

thats a preference. not a fact.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
1 - there are very few brands that even attempt to sell attractive clothing for larger women - usually things stop at size 14.

This is so true. I've found that Old Navy and Lane Bryant carry clothing in larger sizes that are much more attractive than what you'd find in a department store. I especially like Lane Bryant's jeans-- they are sized in 3 different silhouettes so if you carry your weight disproportionately in the abdomen or the hips/legs, they have a silhouette to fit you. Also, Lane Bryant carries basic tees and shirts that are tailored well-- not skin tight but also not big and baggy. There are also some catalogs that sell some plus-size clothing that's attractive. You just have to look harder and find clothes that flatter your figure, something that's harder for women who are a size 16 and above.

3 - the clothing that most stores sell for women are shaped like tents - no shape whatsoever. I don't know if that's due to them being foreign made, the cost of extra material or just the lack of good design.

I think it's what sells. I don't know how many women I know or have worked with are so self-conscious about their weight that they think wearing tents will hide their size. The truth is, clothing that accentuates curves and shows off cleavage and the like make a woman look shapely. Also, there are few designers that care for designing clothing for women over a size 2 let alone a size 16. One thing I still depend on under clothing are Spanx or other smoothing garments. They do a great job of smoothing out rolls and bumps, etc.

I'm sure there are other points I'm not thinking of. Boston Store is great - they sell Jones NY and Laura Ashley for very affordable prices. Quite frankly, it's the best store I've ever been in with such a nice selection. Other stores, like Talbots, etc., set their prices so high a person has $400 in 2 pairs of pants and a jacket. My problem is 2 fold - I am "petite" in that I'm short waisted - so I have to get women's petite sizes which pretty much sucks in the clothing-finding department.

If you find a store whose clothing works for you, stick with it. Fit is so important. When I was a size 16 and larger, I really liked Lane Bryant (they even had tall sizes) and Old Navy, as I mentioned before. Macy's always had great suiting and really good sales. As my body has changed, I like Gap a lot because they tend to be fitted for women with slim hips-- I've never had much of an ass. Ann Taylor clothes fit me well too. I still love Macy's because they carry so many manufacturers that you're bound to find one that makes clothing that flatters your figure. I'm thick waisted and slim hipped. What interesting is that mercurialbliss and I are about the same size-- I'm a little bit bigger than her-- but we're shaped so differently that things that don't fit her usually fit me great and vice versa. She's small in the upper body and has a small waist and nice ass where I'm all tits and torso. Going shopping is always an adventure.

D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

Experimental Member
Media
I think it's what sells. I don't know how many women I know or have worked with are so self-conscious about their weight that they think wearing tents will hide their size. The truth is, clothing that accentuates curves and shows off cleavage and the like make a woman look shapely. Also, there are few designers that care for designing clothing for women over a size 2 let alone a size 16. One thing I still depend on under clothing are Spanx or other smoothing garments. They do a great job of smoothing out rolls and bumps, etc.

Going shopping is always an adventure.

The tent effect- you are so right. Why would anyone want to look like a circus freak? I have a large top, big bottom, but small waist line. I try very hard to find clothes that flatter me. I may not look like a supermodel
never have been, never wanted to be. I say this with truest sincerity. I have never been a stick figure. I celebrate curves, something that separates my body from a man. I don't think the malnourished look is cool. But to each his own.

I hate shopping because I am so particular. I refuse to buy frompy, flowered, no form fitting clothes. I am a woman and I enjoy my curves. I want to feel like a woman not an elephant. But as in an earlier post, it is about inner beauty. Feeling beautiful about yourself inside radiates to the outside. Can't please the masses. Not trying to, take me as I am or move out the way.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have a large top, big bottom, but small waist line. I try very hard to find clothes that flatter me. I may not look like a supermodel
never have been, never wanted to be. I say this with truest sincerity. I have never been a stick figure. I celebrate curves, something that separates my body from a man. I don't think the malnourished look is cool. But to each his own.

I think that look is hot, and so is confidence. I'm sure you've got no shortage of men knocking down your door. :biggrin1:

I hate shopping because I am so particular. I refuse to buy frompy, flowered, no form fitting clothes.

There's one woman in particular I photographed who was busty and very insecure about her body. She insisted on wearing this huge colorblock white, black, and red button-down shirt. She was really upset at how big she looked in her photos, and had she taken my advice and worn a dark, fitted shirt, she would have looked about 30 pounds slimmer and more shapely.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
This is so true. I've found that Old Navy and Lane Bryant carry clothing in larger sizes that are much more attractive than what you'd find in a department store. I especially like Lane Bryant's jeans-- they are sized in 3 different silhouettes so if you carry your weight disproportionately in the abdomen or the hips/legs, they have a silhouette to fit you. Also, Lane Bryant carries basic tees and shirts that are tailored well-- not skin tight but also not big and baggy. There are also some catalogs that sell some plus-size clothing that's attractive. You just have to look harder and find clothes that flatter your figure, something that's harder for women who are a size 16 and above.

If you find a store whose clothing works for you, stick with it. Fit is so important. When I was a size 16 and larger, I really liked Lane Bryant (they even had tall sizes) and Old Navy, as I mentioned before. Macy's always had great suiting and really good sales. As my body has changed, I like Gap a lot because they tend to be fitted for women with slim hips-- I've never had much of an ass. Ann Taylor clothes fit me well too. I still love Macy's because they carry so many manufacturers that you're bound to find one that makes clothing that flatters your figure. I'm thick waisted and slim hipped. What interesting is that mercurialbliss and I are about the same size-- I'm a little bit bigger than her-- but we're shaped so differently that things that don't fit her usually fit me great and vice versa. She's small in the upper body and has a small waist and nice ass where I'm all tits and torso. Going shopping is always an adventure.

aside from old navy and lane bryant, torrid plus sizes is also good to look in to. when i was younger i used to work as a sales girl for at the mall for torrid. (their parent company is actually hot topic.) i've gotta say, torrid is definitely the best thing to happen to plus size fashions since lane bryant. before i went to i work there i had no idea that torrid carried designer brands either, like baby phat and apple bottoms. the clothes are a little bit more pricy than lane bryant, however, everything is very stylish, trendy, and up to date, and that's what shoppers were concerned about. most people i talked to often praised torrid for being one of the few plus size stores that actually had trendy and up to date clothes, aside from old navy. one funny thing that always happened was when super skinny girls would come in to the store and tell me how they wish torrid sizes would fit them because the clothes were so cute. now that's pretty unusual!

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
aside from old navy and lane bryant, torrid plus sizes is also good to look in to. when i was younger i used to work as a sales girl for at the mall for torrid. (their parent company is actually hot topic.) i've gotta say, torrid is definitely the best thing to happen to plus size fashions since lane bryant. before i went to i work there i had no idea that torrid carried designer brands either, like baby phat and apple bottoms. the clothes are a little bit more pricy than lane bryant, however, everything is very stylish, trendy, and up to date, and that's what shoppers were concerned about. most people i talked to often praised torrid for being one of the few plus size stores that actually had trendy and up to date clothes, aside from old navy. one funny thing that always happened was when super skinny girls would come in to the store and tell me how they wish torrid sizes would fit them because the clothes were so cute. now that's pretty unusual!

i've never heard of torrid. that's very cool. i just looked at their site and they do have some great clothes. i like that they use plus size models on their site too. that's becoming more in style and i'm really glad for that. there's nothing more annoying than looking at a size 6 woman modeling plus size clothes.

BTW-- i just looked at your gallery and you are gorgeous.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i've never heard of torrid. that's very cool. i just looked at their site and they do have some great clothes. i like that they use plus size models on their site too. that's becoming more in style and i'm really glad for that. there's nothing more annoying than looking at a size 6 woman modeling plus size clothes.

BTW-- i just looked at your gallery and you are gorgeous.

torrid is kind of like the best kept secret in the plus size industry. not too many people know about it, but stores are beginning to expand rapidly. the people who are familiar with torrid know that they're getting their money's worth by shopping there. i was only a sales girl for a few months, but in that short time i rarely ever had any complaints from shoppers about the quality of the clothes or sizes not fitting the right way, etc. they even sold shoes that are made for women who have wide feet, as well as accessories, like larger sized rings and bracelets.

i definitely agree with you on the models too. torrid makes it a point to use normal looking women model their clothes, and in my opinion i think that's a brilliant strategy. even in the stores their mannequins are larger in frame and aren't all fragile and petite like department store mannequins.

thank you for the compliment too. you are so sweet :rolleyes:

wi_sugargrl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've never heard of Torrid! There's a store in Milwaukee - I may have to take a trip. Do you know though if they sell more petite tops - regular sized tops come down over my hips and just make me look sillier than I already am :rolleyes:.

Sugar

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
I've never heard of Torrid! There's a store in Milwaukee - I may have to take a trip. Do you know though if they sell more petite tops - regular sized tops come down over my hips and just make me look sillier than I already am :rolleyes:.

Sugar

they've got everything from prom dresses to tank tops and t-shirts. i'm sure you'll definitely find the petite tops that you're looking for. i have a few dressy shirts i bought while i was working there, and those same shirts were able to fit properly on the petite girls too.

christina

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
You go girl ! And I don't think you'd have any problem if we both showed up at the same nude beach and think I was any more of an asshole for finding a more ideal spot or turned my chair in another direction where I felt the view was what I felt was more in line with the natural beauty of the seaside either ? I wouldn't hold it against you for doing the same. Hopefully we both can co-exist in harmony without terribly inconveniencing the other ?

It's really the same for even something as simple as taste in music. There are some that will turn their stereo up with little regard as to what others that are within earshot prefer in terms of music taste and volume of noise. But you know what, people will do that to you just the same and actually think they are enhancing your life while they're doing it to you !

ur absolulty right i could care less if u turned ur chair. if u wana look at some one skinny right on! no ones makin u look at anyone fat. Some ppl like fat ppl and some dont its really not that big of deal. I dont know why ppl got so damn offended but hey thats jsut me.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sorry, I don't need to read any further than this first page. As a gay man whose seen more that I should have, I can solidly defend any full-figured woman as having a great figure. So what if she's not a size 0 or 1. She's got curves. Last I checked, most heterosexual men liked women with curves. So, if your a woman size 14 or larger, in good health and with beautiful skin and a great smile, fuck the rest of the world, and get used to showing up naked as much as possible. You'll be surprised how attractive you are to the general male population.

Zayne

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is no universal standard for attractiveness. We like what we like, and there's no point in apologizing for it, trying to change it, or telling other people what to find attractive. Some people will find you attractive based on the way you look; some people will like your personality and that will be enough; some people will like both/neither.