Things said that should be stopped in 2017

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just cover Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa and Ramadan all at once. Happy Ramahanakwanzmas, and offend everyone at once.
Seriously, if folks would quit getting offended at shit.

Ramadan is based on the lunar calendar and only occurs in December every 30 years or so.

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
^ La-di-da about what the government says is a religious "civil" holiday, in a country that was supposedly founded on the principal of "separation of church and state", dude...

You're welcome to think what you will of it. But it is what it is. Christmas is a civil holiday which means that a day of rest/festivity/celebration is provided on December 25th (or the nearest business to it) for all people regardless of their religion. So saying "Merry Christmas" during that time, especially in light of the secularizing of Christmas, no longer has an inherent connotation of Christian doctrine.

You live in San Francisco

Suburbs outside of it. I felt it prudent to identify the nearest large city (and I'm fairly close).

you don't feel connected to Jewish people?...

I'm an introvert, not a "social butterfly". If you look up the statistics of Jewish demographics in the San Francisco Bay Area, they still make up 5% of the population at the very most. So I would have to know / be close with / be friends with (beyond surface acquaintances) 20 people for it to be reasonable to suspect that 1 of them would be a Jew. I don't have anywhere near 20 real friends. And believe it or not San Francisco, particularly so among Gay men, is becoming more and more a superficial culture with less and less real community and connecting, so there are probably plenty of men my age in this area who also do not have anywhere near that number.

Then, you are living under a rock... Maybe you should stay under it, for the good of The City.
A/B

Honestly I haven't a clue why you feel the need to be so hostile or felt justified in doing so. Just because I think it's OK to make reference to a civil holiday that is largely secularized and because I don't have any close connections with any Jews. Sheesh.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
^ - My point was more that, in a city that's history, politics, and culture has been so heavily influenced, supported and upgraded by it's Jewish community, there is no way you can even go to a museum, library, or a concert hall without experiencing a "connection"... Whether you are aware of it, or not.

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
^ - My point was more that, in a city that's history, politics, and culture has been so heavily influenced, supported and upgraded by it's Jewish community, there is no way you can even go to a museum, library, or a concert hall without experiencing a "connection"... Whether you are aware of it, or not.

What does that have to do with the root of this thread of conversation, your remark on my (assumedly) not having said "Happy Chanukkah" to anyone?

D

deleted300444

Stop with the "LOL".

I think it is lazy or an excuse for people to avoid real conversation.

Or I am willing to start a new one; "COL" - Chuckle Out Loud. It makes me LOL.

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What does that have to do with the root of this thread of conversation, your remark on my (assumedly) not having said "Happy Chanukkah" to anyone?

You assumed too much, dear. Saying "Happy Holidays" to people you don't know what religion they follow, if any, is not going to hurt you.

A/B

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The Jewish people I know wish me Merry Christmas. In fact, they send me Christmas cards. When the one guy gets a "Happy Hanukkah" card, he's been known to give them back because Hanukkah isn't an important Jewish holiday. To him, at least.