Things you see only in your area.

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I was shocked and horrified to see people in the Atlanta metro area putting cole slaw on hot dogs! :wtf2: That is just so wrong.

NGT.. I used to live in Atlanta and there was nothing better that going to the Varsity and getting a couple of slaw dogs walkin', rings and a frosted orange served up by Flossie Mae.
And unless you live in Atlanta proper, you haven't lived until you eat at Zestos. We used to joke that they got their grease from Krystal.

Damn, now all the things are flooding back like.. giving directions and telling someone to go to the big chicken and turn right!

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Unless you've traveled a lot or lived in a lot of different places, it's hard to know what's unique about your area, because you have no way of knowing that other places don't have it.

When I travel, if the place I'm visiting has something that I don't have at home, that stands out. Or if they are missing something that is common at home, I'll notice that, too. For example, in Arizona, there are stop and go lights at the ramps to enter highway traffic. We don't have that in the Northeast.

In Colorado (and other Western states?) grocery stores don't carry Marshmallow Fluff.
In the Northeast, peanut butter and fluff sandwiches are almost as common as peanut butter and jelly.

And, unsurprisingly, in non-coastal states you can't get live lobster or other fresh fish and seafood. When I lived in Colorado, it was quite funny trying to describe how to eat a lobster to a Colorado native. They were pretty horrified at the concept of boiling an animal alive, then plopping its steaming carcass on a plate and tearing it apart with your hands.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We see tourists daily wearing things they would never be seen dead wearing back in the UK. White socks with sandals is the biggest NO NO. Some tourists really need to cover up too.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
We see tourists daily wearing things they would never be seen dead wearing back in the UK. White socks with sandals is the biggest NO NO. Some tourists really need to cover up too.

I usually wear black cotton socks with mine, haven't noticed anyone giggling. It's in the forties out.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
[/size][/font]

Yes, I thought that was oddly considerate when I first moved to Georgia a year ago. Also, the baggers in the grocery store will actually take the cart to your car AND put your bags in the trunk and not ask for a tip! :eek:

On rainy days our local Wal-Mart puts out rolls of paper towels so you can wipe off the cart. Kroger & Publix have anti-bacterial wipes as you enter the store by the cart corral. Odd, but much appreciated by a germ-a-phobe like me.

That stuff goes on here too NJ & mem.
I've never seen a wet bag for an umbrella.
I always ask them to carry and unload my carts, but I always tip!
cigarbabe:saevil:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I forgot about Tastycakes. I will miss then. I love Chocolate Juniors.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Whilst in Liverpool in the UK ,iv'e seen a lot of guys with black slacks/trousers on and black shoes but white socks :eek:.

Also where i live we have muffins, people in nearby cities have never heard of them.
I found this out at a mobile burger van in Newcastle when the woman serving asked me what i wanted it on (meaning bread or stoggies) i said a muffin, she went F...ing mad and called me a dirty B...... i never got the muffin or the burger.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whilst in Liverpool in the UK ,iv'e seen a lot of guys with black slacks/trousers on and black shoes but white socks :eek:.

Also where i live we have muffins, people in nearby cities have never heard of them.
I found this out at a mobile burger van in Newcastle when the woman serving asked me what i wanted it on (meaning bread or stoggies) i said a muffin, she went F...ing mad and called me a dirty B...... i never got the muffin or the burger.

Do you mean Stotties Tardis? :smile: You're lucky she didn't lamp you one for asking for muffin up there in Geordieland :eek:

PS If you ever go back to Newcastle don't mention Muffin the Mule or you'll get locked up :cool:

Last edited:

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Do you mean Stotties Tardis? :smile: You're lucky she didn't lamp you one for asking for muffin up there in Geordieland :eek:

Cheers Davey, yes thats it hehe, funniest thing. Hey when i went up to Scotland i asked for a pie and the guy threw it in the chip fryer :eek: i was nearly sick and there was no vinegar !

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
In my Barçelonan neighborhood (and throughout catalunya, for that matter) the restaurant/bars that serve a quick breakfast to the majority of workers who must appear on the job at 8:00 AM offer a dizzying variety of unique sandwiches (sardine and raw-cured ham on a small flat round roll or a similar roll smeared with anchovy paste, fried eggplant, and fried calamari). Typical, but not all that alarming. The cultural everyday thing I've yet to become accustomed is that every early morning roll is served with a large glass of pink cava (basically, pink champagne -- but of course champagne is only made in the Champagne region of France). Nope. Here it is cava. Same stuff, different name. The businesses are standing room only, wall to wall, and every one gets a quick buzz on before showing up at the office.

Last edited:

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cheers Davey, yes thats it hehe, funniest thing. Hey when i went up to Scotland i asked for a pie and the guy threw it in the chip fryer :eek: i was nearly sick and there was no vinegar !

Yes when I first moved to Aberdeen I discovered the exact same thing - disgusting. Also when I asked for it the guy said. "Supper"? I replied "No it's for my lunch" I didn't know that a supper means with chips in Scotland. :rolleyes: