Things you see only in your area.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Also where i live we have muffins, people in nearby cities have never heard of them.

So what's a muffin? What we in the U.S. call a muffin is either corn or blueberry, like a scone, but not as dry.

We also have (Thomas') English muffins such as on the McD's McMuffin breakfast sandwich.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
So what's a muffin? What we in the U.S. call a muffin is either corn or blueberry, like a scone, but not as dry.

We also have (Thomas') English muffins such as on the McD's McMuffin breakfast sandwich.

Hi Mem, the muffins i mention are oven bottomed bread which is round unsweetened and flat that you have ham or cheese or bacon and egg etc, here is a site with pics that explains it better than me .

Oven Bottom Muffins

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hi Mem, the muffins i mention are oven bottomed bread which is round unsweetened and flat that you have ham or cheese or bacon and egg etc, here is a site with pics that explains it better than me .

Oven Bottom Muffins

They look vaguely similar to what we in the U.S. call English muffins, except they are flatter and have the bagel-like hole in the middle.

http://www.breadrules.com/downloads/product_shot/SL_Whole_Grain_EngMuff.JPG
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/images/1185301300353.jpg

Then we have muffins like these, which are sweet and come in a variety of flavors: blueberry, raisin bran, banana nut, corn, cranberry-orange, chocolate chip, etc.

http://doh.sd.gov/Diabetes/img/muffin.jpg

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
They look vaguely similar to what we in the U.S. call English muffins, except they are flatter and have the bagel-like hole in the middle.

http://www.breadrules.com/downloads/product_shot/SL_Whole_Grain_EngMuff.JPG
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/images/1185301300353.jpg

Then we have muffins like these, which are sweet and come in a variety of flavors: blueberry, raisin bran, banana nut, corn, cranberry-orange, chocolate chip, etc.

http://doh.sd.gov/Diabetes/img/muffin.jpg

Oven bottoms are different Meniscus, they are only made in Lancashire UK. I had an English muffin in the USA a while ago and they are thicker and stoggy, hey just thought when i move to the states i could set up my own muffin place hehe.

Hey Guys, when i was in NYC recently they served corned beef Ash with a fried egg on top for breakfast :eek: is that how you guys have it ?

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This talk about regional food items reminds me of this passage from Laurie Anderson's "New Jersey Turnpike":

I know this English guy who was driving around in the South. And he stopped for breakfast one morning somewhere in southeast Georgia. He saw grits on the menu. He'd never heard of grits, so he asked the waitress, "What are grits anyways?"
She said, "Grits are fifty."
He said, "But, what are they?"
She said "They're extra."
He said, "Yes, I'll have the grits please."​

I've never had it, but people I know who have been to the South always come back talking about sweet tea. All but one person I know thought it was vile.

Hand_Solo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We have a roadside cliff people drive off to commit suicide. They're in the process of converting it to a scenic lookout. They hauled fifty-something cars out of the canyon during construction. There were so many cars down there that more and more people were surviving the plunge because all the junked cars were actually cushioning the impact. Now that they've got everything blocked off with guard rails and boulders, I find myself wondering how folks are gonna off themselves around here. I'll miss all the roadside shrines.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
[/size][/font]

Yes, I thought that was oddly considerate when I first moved to Georgia a year ago. Also, the baggers in the grocery store will actually take the cart to your car AND put your bags in the trunk and not ask for a tip! :eek:

On rainy days our local Wal-Mart puts out rolls of paper towels so you can wipe off the cart. Kroger & Publix have anti-bacterial wipes as you enter the store by the cart corral. Odd, but much appreciated by a germ-a-phobe like me.

We have wet umbrella bags at church so people don't drip water all over the tile floors and slip. I love the anti-bacterial wipes at the grocery stores. I wipe down my cart handle then I get another one and sanitze my hands. It's really scary when you read what kinds of germs are found on the handles!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Oven Bottom Muffins

Okay I get it, thanks.

I guess they are what our "English" muffins derived from.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I was shocked and horrified to see people in the Atlanta metro area putting cole slaw on hot dogs! :wtf2: That is just so wrong.

It is not wrong at all. That's how we eat hotdogs in the south. It's a taste sensation!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've never had it, but people I know who have been to the South always come back talking about sweet tea. All but one person I know thought it was vile.

Grits are good and sweet tea is sweetened iced tea.

What looks gross is the muffins with slop that they serve for breakfast at some McD's in North and South Carolina. I forget what they call them.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If you guys have never had an Italian Hot Dog they are great. Fried Hot Dogs with french fries and pepper and onions on french bread.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response

Sweet tea is just iced tea with sugar in it. When one orders tea in the South, it's assumed that you want it sweet. If you want it with no sugar, so you can sweeten it with Splenda or Sweet and Low or some other artificial sweetener, you order "unsweet". All the restaurants here have bottomless tea, unlike when I've been up north and order a glass of iced tea (only available during the summer months) you get one small glass and instead of getting a refill, you are charged for another order. Bizarre if you ask me.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
What looks gross is the muffins with slop that they serve for breakfast at some McD's in North and South Carolina. I forget what they call them.

You mean biscuits and gravy? Here in the US, biscuits are not the sweet baked goods like in Europe, those are called cookies. Biscuits are sort of like scones, but are not sweet. One eats them split in two with a milk gravy made up of the scrapings from frying sausage and poured over the top. I prefer my biscuits with a little butter and jam. The best non-homemade biscuits are served at Cracker Barrel. www.crackerbarrel.com

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You mean biscuits and gravy? Here in the US, biscuits are not the sweet baked goods like in Europe, those are called cookies. Biscuits are sort of like scones, but are not sweet. One eats them split in two with a milk gravy made up of the scrapings from frying sausage and poured over the top. I prefer my biscuits with a little butter and jam. The best non-homemade biscuits are served at Cracker Barrel. www.crackerbarrel.com

Yeah that was it, even the pic on the menu board looked gross. The McD's up north have biscuit sandwiches: sausage (or bacon), egg and cheese. The Big Breakfast also comes with a biscuit a few years back it had an English muffin.