Things Your Waiter Won't Tell You!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HellsKitchenmanNYC, Jun 26, 2009.

1. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Most of this seems common sense but it's fun to see all the tips gathered in one list. If I remember correctly a waiter wrote a popular book recently that detailed and culled info he gathered from his website.

User post: 13 Things Your Waiter Won't Tell You - Food on Shine

So now, remember when you get your check and printed on the bottom are the words "Thank You!" well you just take out that trust Bic and write alongside it: " NO. Thank YOU!" :biggrin1:

2. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I like this one that the pizza guy won't tell you

11. I remember every customer who doesn't tip. I won't do anything to jeopardize my job, but shaking the soda on the next delivery would not be out of the question.

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Thanks for posting that, I hope the people who need to read that do so...I already knew those points, but I do have a friend who owns a restaurant and when I go I always say "I'm good friends with the owner can I have a good table?" it's sort of unnecessary to say it because my friend is the one who always seats us!

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

5. DGirl

Gold Member

All my life I never ordered someone to bring pizza to my home. I am too poor and not that lazy. I make my own pizza when I have a few extra $$.
    I don't use dry cleaners. I wash my own items. and iron and whatnot.
    I like this one.

7. The "grazers" order food at the deli, eat it as they're shopping, and get rid of the wrappers before they check out. We also call that stealing.

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm a big believer of what goes around comes around. I was once at the supermarket and I was starving, and had to have the cashier scan an empty container of what had been a half pound of macadamia nuts and a pint of Cherries Garcia!

7. DGirl

Gold Member

That happens at my job all of the time. These folks that steal the food has this EBT card and they teach their kids how to order food at the deli and eat it in the store. Then the dumb or lazy ones forget to toss it out of the cart. So, I have to come around and check the cart to find candy bar wrappers, open drinks, donut bags with just crumbs. One time these one folks that been on EBT forever came into the store and got some cough drops, and not the cheap ones either. They opened them up and took like half of the bag and then I went to get the cash for the item, they go. What EBT does not pay for that? I wanted to ....." They go oh, we will bring the money next time we shop. Well, lets see it has been a year almost and they been in all of the time....since. They just NEVER come in my line.

#8 DGirl, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  8. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Great read HellsKitchenmanNYC. Thanks.

I have more respect for this job (the one many ridicule) than most jobs had by those who are highly trained education-wise in a skill.

The restaurant business is a one of a kind thing in that you're dealing very personally with the patron. I've been embarassed more often than I can tell you when people with whom I've been dining have given the waiter/waitress a hard time.

I waitered much of the time I was in school.

One ought not give the waitstaff a hard time. There are certain key things which they can do your food which you'll never detect but were you to know they'd been done you'd be sick for a week.

Waiters/waitreses get a base pay and rely on those hard-earned tips to make a fairly good living (if it's a high-end spot). The rule of thumb is 17% for good service and 20% for exceptional.

9. Sassy

Sassy Member

This was always a litmus test for me in a relationship. If a guy can't be generous and courteous to the wait staff, cashier or other service personnel, they weren't with me past the trip home.

10. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Kind of like some countries force males to join the army for a year when hey turn 18, I think there should be some kind of program in high school where students have to work as a server or be in that position.

Education is important. And once people know what it is like to be on the other side, they will treat people more with respect. I could add a few other things that servers wont tell you.

Draft saved Draft deleted