Think Im gonna cry now!

shad24

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
M life just turned to shit!! In another 5 wks I was supposed to join the police academy! I was excited so I doubled my workouts, morn and nite,
Was out running about 8pm last weds nite and got hit by a drunken driver, who left the accident, me, before you ask, the rds i took had no sidewalks.
I woke up about an hour later in the emergency room. road rash on legs, torso, arms hands face head, got a concussion,36 stitches on the left side of my head bruised brain?? from cat scan, broken clavicle or collar bone and severe memory loss. dont remember leaving my house that nite at all. I am hoping they will give me a deferment for a couple of months till i am whole again.
spent 4 days in the hosp and just got home sunday nite.
my biggest worry is my collar bone, they told me it would take about 4 months to heal.
any one got any other ideas/ or estimates?

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
shad24 said:
M life just turned to shit!! In another 5 wks I was supposed to join the police academy! I was excited so I doubled my workouts, morn and nite,
Was out running about 8pm last weds nite and got hit by a drunken driver, who left the accident, me, before you ask, the rds i took had no sidewalks.
I woke up about an hour later in the emergency room. road rash on legs, torso, arms hands face head, got a concussion,36 stitches on the left side of my head bruised brain?? from cat scan, broken clavicle or collar bone and severe memory loss. dont remember leaving my house that nite at all. I am hoping they will give me a deferment for a couple of months till i am whole again.
my biggest worry is my collar bone, they told me it would take about 4 months to heal.

Its alright, just contact the department and explain your situation, I'm sure you will be able to work something out, the most important thing is not to rush the healing because if you do you can make theings alot worse.

D_Pat_Sayjackoff

1st Like
Media
:cool: Not the same proceedure...but I had 1.5 inches of my clavical taken off....I was able to be put on light duty at first...about two weeks later I felt better....Now 2 years later my arm is back to pro-strength. I would just fill out all the paperwork needed and relax, that will help the issue greatly I am sure.​

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sorry to hear about that accident, shad, glad you're OK. Hope you recover as speedily as possible.

And, it might help to limit how much you worry about things that are out of your control.

rhino_horn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
shad24 said:

very sorry to hear that...im a night runner too(i go 2 miles, at about 10pm), but when I see a car coming I make sure it has my full attention.

i wouldnt worry about the collar bone(if it was broken in one place); it shouldnt prevent from you from running or doing any other serious exercise.

good luck with the academy. have u been hired by any department yet? if so, then they will definetly give you the time you need to heal.

*one of my roommates is a trooper.

shad24

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
my mom and nephew came up to stay with me for awhile. they r from Ky and I am in indy. grateful for their help but she is already nagging me about dishes n laundry:redface:
she took pictures and it looks like my brains are falling out. that is if i had any

shad24

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Rhino- yeah ipd hired me, they are soon combining with county to become metro. thats why i got hired. they needed more peeps

rhino_horn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
shad24 said:
Rhino- yeah ipd hired me, they are soon combining with county to become metro. thats why i got hired. they needed more peeps
well then, what the hell are you worried about...they cant give away your slot because you were assaulted.

*count your blessings, you're lucky your ass is still alive and, god willing, will recover. imagine how things could have been.:smile:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sorry to hear about your accident.

I was in a car crash in 1996. I was beat up pretty badly: fractured spine, dislocated shoulder, lacerations, internal damage. I underwent two major surgeries during my recuperation. I suffered from imbalance, clumsiness, body temperature swings, fingers tingling, weak limbs, etc. It took me about 4 months before I really started feeling whole again and about 6 months before I wanted to jog, run, ski, etc.

I did all the prescribed physical therapy with gusto and pretty much every thing came back to full strength. Support from family and friends helped and I liked having a goal to work towards. It sounds like you should be able to do the same.

btw, how do you know it was a drunk driver that hit you? Just interested.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
SpeedoGuy said:
btw, how do you know it was a drunk driver that hit you? Just interested.

"30 percent of Americans can expect to be involved in an alcohol-related incident in their lifetimes."-AMR Handbook

The majority of the time a pedestrian is struck a by a vehicle, it has something to do with alcohol, though most bike incidents occur with sober drivers.

I think Shad is just assuming...

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The reason I ask is that its also possible to get smacked by a driver who is too busy yakking on a mobile phone to pay attention to the road. Or, it can happen from just plain aggressiveness, orneryness, road rage or inattentiveness. God knows anybody who dares bicycle on the backroads of Clackamas County will see all of those.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The clavicle is the most comonly broken bone in the body. You can use your index finger and just a few pounds of pressure to break one. You will be fine. Will they need to set it with a metal plate? That would greatly increase your recovery time. And your pain. If not, no worries!

ceg1526

Experimental Member
Media
Shad:

Sad to hear. Contact your department if you haven't already (promptness counts BTW) and request a deferral to the next class. You've got a good reason. They'll make you take another physical before you matriculate to cover their tails. Remember, you've made it through background, they've spent a couple of thousand on you so far, every agency needs bodies, and you're prime. There should be no problem.

Good luck on recovery, and keep us posted

Ceg

yhtang

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
shad24 said:
.....(snipped).. got a concussion,36 stitches on the left side of my head bruised brain?? from cat scan, broken clavicle or collar bone and severe memory loss.

I hope you will recover swiftly and smoothly. Since you were preparing to enter the Police Academy, I would presume yoru are fairly fit, and as such, recovery should not be too much of a problem.

I fractures 4 ribs in 5 places 6 months ago; I am reasonably fit, and it took me about a month to recover.

I am more concerned over your concussion. I know you have had a cat scan, etc. and no doubt it was clear. Please keep an eye out on your balance, appetite and vision for the next two to three weeks. If you feel nauseous and/or have headaches plus any combination of the above negative ffects, please have another cat scan - you might be suffering from internal bleeding in your head.

My father had a fall when he was 70 year old. I made sure he had a cat scan, etc. and they all came back clear. However, as time passed, there was internal bleeding in his head. After three weeks, he had not appetite, had headaches, etc. It turned out his cranial cavity was filled with blood, and had to be drained. The doctors drilled a few holes in his head and it cost a lot of money.

The surgeon explained that the cat scan could not pick up the bleeding immediately after my father's fall because at that time, the bleeding was light. Three weeks later, the accumulated blood in the cranium had no where to go and it was exerting pressure on the brain.

May you be saved from this condition, and from having to undergo this procedure.

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
shad24 said:
u have insurance?

if u have insurance u cudvery well cash in