Thinking about joining the military.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mephistopheles, Apr 4, 2011.

1. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    Okay, I know there are a lot of people with a huge array of opinions here so I figure this would be a good place to ask questions about this scenario.

I'm 22 years old and was considering enrolling in college this upcoming year since I've retaken my tests and what not, but I also had another idea:

What about the military?

I mean I am alive to learn and to experience as much as possible and I often wonder if that is a life experience I want.

Sometimes I think: "Yeah, build character and what not maybe get help with college, learn more stuff I wouldn't normally have access to."

Other times: "Why would I want to do that, leaving home for long periods of time and all the hard work."

I am definitely not opposed to hard work, I just wonder if the means justify the ends, you know?

I used to live in Fayetteville North Carolina and I worked at Fort Brag when I did. I work construction and helped build the new barracks there maybe like 3 or 4 years ago, I'm not sure. The point is that while I was on the base I got a very, very unwelcomed feeling and everyone there who worked in the military were really pissy to people who didn't like me and the rest of my crew.

I'm not expecting to get my ass wiped for me or anything, I just don't want to be around people who are cruel for the sake of being cruel.

I just need some advice and maybe a nudge in a more informational direction. :confused:

**No offense to anyone in the military or with family members in the military, I know it all depends on the person. These are just my OWN experiences.**

2. B_jdunhill

B_jdunhill New Member

Military, police, firemen and nurses these are called callings for a reason. It`s not always the case, you take your good with your bad in everything but if it is something your cut out for it is either really clear, or not. IMHO

3. airman

airman New Member

hey man coming from someone who just got out the air force, i dont think its a bad idea at all..i certainly dont regret it i mean you meet so many awesome people and my job made me feel like i was really doing my part if you will lol...i mean i also would suggest either the air force or navy as the choice..hard to explain but trust me. after you graduate from basic ull be off to tech school and depending on your job those two can be the hardest part of your passage from civilian to military cause of lame ass people and long hrs and studyin and being treated like a preteen at times but after that youd be fine...hope it kinda helps. nice size tool btw...peace

4. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks a ton for the insight and the compliment.

This is the kind'a info I was looking for.

If I could get some more opinions that would be great!

5. maxcok

Gold Member

I think you need to figure out where you want to go with your life, what you want to do, and what your goals are before deciding whether the military, college, or some other path is best to achieve that. Also, if you're going to go into the military, you better be sure you have the sort of personality that doesn't mind taking orders and being very regimented.

#5 maxcok, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  6. D_Fizzy Cola Bottles

Albums:
    I was in the military for a while, unfortunately. I was a conscientious objector and opposed my service and was let out after much trial and effort.

No offense to people who take the military very seriously, but I don't have anything good to say about it. It was a waste of time for the most part. I would encourage any person wanting to join to seriously question his or her motives. It's a really long process to enlist, they probe your body, ask you all these meaningless questions, you have to sign tons of forms, some "doctor" grabs your balls and make you cough. You're a specimen, a number, a last name stiched into a badge.

Chances are the recruiting office will lie to you, make you believe things that are not true just to get you to join.

I never got all of the benefits that were promised to me. If anything goes wrong, it takes tons of effort to fight the system to get what was promised. Any you might never prevail.

It's an institution, it is more interested in making you serve it than in how it can serve you.

Basic Training starts with you getting on a bus, and you're told to put your head in your lap so you don't see where the drill sergeants are taking you and then they say all these cheesy lines like, "Now we're going to see who has what between his legs. Gonna separate the man from the boys." Then you get off the bus and they start screaming at you. They say cheesy stuff like "Are you eyeballing me, man? You think I'm sexy? You want a piece of me? Huh?!"

All the kids in Basic Training are really immature. They do all this immature stuff but they think they're all hard and stuff.

Whew!

If you want life experience, as you say, well it is an experience... But if you already took the tests for college, why not just finish what you started and go to college instead of starting something new?

And it's boring as hell.

Most important: remember with the military, if you think it's all bullshit, it's really hard to get out. Hope this helps. You can ask me whatever questions in you have, in this thread, or you can PM me if you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted