Thinking about joining the Navy

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by flyeva02, Apr 5, 2011.

1. flyeva02

flyeva02 New Member

Hey guys, looking for some advice.
    i'm 31 and seems like I am in a life rut. I have a job, and even though its okay, it pays no where what I have the potential to be making for my college degree.
    The thought of starting a new job scares the hell out of me, and besides, I have no idea what field I would want to go into.
    Any advice on joining the Navy ? I have a bf of 2 years. Going to talk to recruiter here in the next week.

2. B_Anita Dick

B_Anita Dick New Member

Hmmm, ex-Navy man here. Although, I went in right out of high school many, many years ago. The climate for you should be much better than it was when I went in. Being 31 you'll be on the upper scale of guys there just entering agewise so you will be seen as more experienced and avoid alot of the harassment shit right from the start. Can't go wrong careerwise. Are you thinking of a rate that is close to what your degree is? Don't go into it for the financial aspect. You can make much more on the outside, however, with your housing/food taking care of you can put a lot away. Big question is... how does BF feel about it?

3. azladd

azladd Active Member

Albums:
    If you and your bf are planning on staying together, you may need to consider the financial burden of housing and relocating. While the navy may provide food and a barracks room to sleep in, you would not qualify for military housing. Thus , if the military is not willing to provide enough money for you to live off base, your bf may have to consider the costs of relocating, and possibly finding another job every 3-4 years which could affect some major career choices on the civilian side. You will also need to consider who can take part in any medical benefits etc .

4. reallybigcock

reallybigcock New Member

if you want to join the navy you must rember one policy, dont ask dont tell, if you think you have the self controll to be able to be around all those men for a long period of time, you can get into alot of trouble for messing around with the other men.

5. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is no more don't ask don't tell.

6. Gnothiseauton

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    DADT may have been repealed, but the repeal is not in effect yet. And for that matter, the GOP is actively trying to block it from ever being enforced and/or repeal the repeal. Things don't hapen overnight with the military and changing its policies and views

7. reallybigcock

reallybigcock New Member

god damn i gotta start waching the news, sorry about that, but still...
    if your in a relationship, you will be away from your partner for a long time and there will be temptations, if you think you can controll yourself then go for it

8. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd find a better job and re-locate with the boyfriend. You'll be further ahead.

Like the others have said, DADT is in limbo - and the mentality won't work out of the system for a few years after it's officially removed.

9. azladd

azladd Active Member

Albums:
    DADT has been repealed and may be the least of his worries. He'll be able to join the military. DADT only affected his ability to join and serve. It does not solve the issue of how what is considered a dependent when it comes to same sex partners. If he enlists, he can be sure that he'll be relocating several times. The question is, 1) will he be able to support his bf on a new enlistee income 2)when will he be able to live off base and receive housing allowance 3) will his bf be able to cope with having to quit jobs and relocate every time his partner is stationed somewhere else. DADT is not the larger issue and as far as harassment, that falls under general military conduct for which he would have remedy.

10. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    They have already begun the sensitivity training phase. Seems like they are going forward. I agree with the other posters that DADT is not his major problem whether it exists or not. As a new recruit, he will have to live on base. They will pay him roughly 14K a year, and not grant him BAH. If he gets into a Navy school, for a rate that requires extensive training, he will be able to advance to E3, and maybe even E4 very quickly (1-2 years, I believe), and at that level, he will be able to have BAH, and it won't matter whether the boyfriend can be considered a dependent or not. If he's just going straight to a ship, that will take much longer. Either way, the navy deploys from 6 months or more at a time. It is a hard life for a young relationship.

11. Mr_Bulldog

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    DADT is still in effect until the policies are put in place for men and women already serving. The new policies don't come into effect until the end of the military's fiscal year in october. believe me I know because it affects me as well.

12. Mogluver

Mogluver Member

With your college degree you will go in as an officer. I agree with others that the issue is more with the BF and issues around relocation. I would look at the Air Force, you might have better duty options in that branch. As soon as DOMA is gone, benefits for your partner will improve, and logistical support should be realigned to support same sex partners.

13. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    I believe you. I only know what I know. They already made my husband go through some kind of training.

14. flyeva02

flyeva02 New Member

Thanks guys for the advice. I have promised to give myself at least 3 months of time to think about this. As someone who knows there are better career options out there, I just want to be aware of all that is being offered.

15. jerryhall

jerryhall New Member

Albums:
    Don't be stupid. It sounds like you are joining the navy because you are afraid of all the other options. Face us to your challenges and move forward with your life.

16. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

You didn't mention what you have a degree in! I'd be inclined to recommend searching for a job you like even if it's in another city or country. You might think about going abroad for a few years, learning or improving a language and enjoying new cultures. The BF could go as well (unless he's REALLY anchored in his job). Even teaching English to kids in China could be an adventure.

I should add, that overseas experience goes a long way when you're back in the job search at home.

#16 B_thickjohnny, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  17. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

There are many advantages to joining the military - especially for a younger person. If you can stick with it until retirement age, you'll see many benefits. I wish I had.

18. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Look north and turn left, real sudden like
    Verified:
    Photo
    Negative, DADT it is still in transition. The Active Component is still being trained before the lifting of it goes into complete effect. It will soon, but stay abreast before you spill your guts to a recruiter.

Regardless of the policy I would not enter the military under the auspice that the Navy is waiting with open arms for everyone to come leaping out. Recommend that if you decide to go in you maintain your privacy and watch the atmosphere. Rome wasn't built in a day and old habits/attitudes die hard and slow in military institutions.

With regards to your degree, once you are in the Navy (or any other branch), the possibility of going to OCS or Warrant (Army/Marine) exists. The pay is or will equitable to your education with a commission. If not then the degree will help you advance faster as an NCO.

If its what you really want then go for it, but don't assume or take anything for granted.

19. Wrat

Wrat New Member

Albums:
    As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
    Being a Naval officer is a fine career if that is what you want to do. It is a piss poor substitute for something else you would rather do if you can do it.

and from above:
    "With regards to your degree, once you are in the Navy (or any other branch), the possibility of going to OCS or Warrant (Army/Marine) exists. The pay is or will equitable to your education with a commission. If not then the degree will help you advance faster as an NCO."

It is not necessary to enlist in the Navy and then go to OCS to become an officer, although you certainly can. Officers get paid quite a bit more than enlisted, so if you have any issues regarding supporting a household it only makes sense to go in as an officer.

An E-1 in the first year will earn $1467 per month. The highest paid enlisted (under 30 years time in) is paid $6215 per month. Slightly higher for years over 30, but you won't get that in if you are over 30 now.

An O-1 in the first year will earn $2783 per month. An O-6, which is a Captain in the Navy or a Colones in the groudn forces,(under 30 years time in) is paid $10188 per month. I stopped at Captain because there is no guarantee at ever being an Admiral, which is the next step. There's no guarantee of being a Captain either, but the next step down earns over $8k per month after year 20, and that's not so bad.

An O-4 over 10 years makes more than an E-9 over 26 years.

That's math you should be able to do in your head, being as it means money you put in your pocket. Not only that, but the benefits are very good.

But if you are doing it because you don'tknow what else to do, then go get your MBA and strike for a good job on the coast. It will probably be more to your liking.

good luck.

#19 Wrat, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  20. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Look north and turn left, real sudden like
    Verified:
    Photo
    Your math is correct, but if you have not gone through a service academy or an ROTC/ Reserve program a college degree does not just get you a commission. Commissions are earned and awarded they are not just given for having a degree, unless the navy has a separate program that is not used in the other branches. If you enlist the usual route is OCS or in the Army the "Green to Gold Program".

Draft saved Draft deleted