Thinking about joining the Navy

Final thought. The military is a young mans game at the junior grades, regardless of Officer or Enlisted. The military generally stops accepting applicants in their thirties (not sure as they flux the age based on recruiting quotas). I enlisted at 17 and called it quits at 40+/-. The physical aspect wasn't getting any easier with age. When you are at the junior levels your age is a factor as most of the requirements are more physical. At the senior levels the mental stress starts to take its toll.

As Wrat stated good luck.

Wrat

Expert Member
Media
As mentioned above, in the middle, between the eas
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Your math is correct, but if you have not gone through a service academy or an ROTC/ Reserve program a college degree does not just get you a commission. Commissions are earned and awarded they are not just given for having a degree, unless the navy has a separate program that is not used in the other branches. If you enlist the usual route is OCS or in the Army the "Green to Gold Program".

That's not correct. A college graduate can go directly from college into Officer Candidate School and be commissioned as a 2nd LT upon graduation.
Here's a link to the Army site.

Officer Candidate School | GoArmy.com

uofmpike07

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That is correct. I did OCS as well....every branch offers a different version of OCS, so find out which one is for you.

Being an officer, you will have a hell of alot of responsibility, but you'll also sacrifice alot as well. Seeing your family and friends, leaving on weekend vacations/trips when you went, in general taking vacation when you want, long hours, sometimes w/ little to no sleep, and still expected to give 110%.

But comparing this to my 2.5 years in the private sector after college from 2007-2009, i wouldn't trade it for the world.