Thinking of buying a new laptop, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by youngdumbfullofcum, May 27, 2010.

1. youngdumbfullofcum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Don't really mind about the make. Right now i have an Acer Aspire 5000

Does anyone here have any suggestions? You don't have to configure actual systems for me, I'd be happy with brand suggestions (Dell, Toshiba, etc) or certain parts that I should look for (like certain Nvidia cards, etc) I don't want to pay for a $2500 alienware machine. :rolleyes:

#1 youngdumbfullofcum, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

3. youngdumbfullofcum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  4. btmboy

btmboy Active Member

Albums:
    Well I can highly recommend what I use - MacBook Pro 15in. Had it 6 months, sexy little beast.

If you don't like Apple, my housemate has a rather sexy HP Envy laptop which is a really nice Windows machine. I don't know the model number though but you might wanna check their website, its aluminium similar to a MacBook. Very well built!

Best of luck in your hunt! LOVE laptop shopping =)

5. D_CountVonBhigBohner

D_CountVonBhigBohner Account Disabled

6. curious_angel

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Get a mac. More reliable, sexier design, better software, less updates and security risks. What's not to like? ...OK they're not cheap

7. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    DON'T get an HP! I've had so many problems with mine. Good thing I bought the 4-year warranty! It's paid for itself about four times over given all the free repair work that it's had done since I got it almost four years ago.
    Mac seems to be the way to go.

8. Incocknito

Gold Member

How long did you have your last laptop for?

Desktops last about twice as long as laptops. They're also cheaper to repair when something goes wrong and can be easily upgraded. Laptops cannot.

There is no reason to use a laptop unless you absolutely need the portability and enjoy buying a new one every two to three years.

If its a space issue then there are new small form factor PC's such as NanoITX and MicroITX which are around the size of a Nintendo Wii.

The HP Pavilion series have a lot of well documented problems. HP offer extended / free warranties on those.

9. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I don't think a laptop's life span is that short. It is true that a desktop does have the ability to outperform and outlast a laptop, but IMO it's usually around 5 years before technology evolves to a point where you need to consider upgrading. I use major hardware & software developers like Adobe, Epson and others as a guide. Once they start abandoning certain versions of operating systems, I know then to start looking past machines that can actually support it.

With that said, my recommendations for a CPU would be a Mac just for the simple fact that they can easily be setup to dual boot and run both the Mac OSX and Windows XP/Vista/7 operating systems. I know there are PCs out there with the ability to do the same thing after a lot of finagling and hacking. However, who has time to deal with the headaches and the long, touchy setups? Plus... Macs are pretty! :biggrin1:

10. SuperSizedBalls

SuperSizedBalls Active Member

Albums:
    For whatever it's worth ..... Todays laptops are mostly designed as Desk Top replacements, and with reasonable care and maintenance will perform well as such.

I have 4 (all Top of the Line) Laptops ..... 2 brand new Dells running Win 7, and 2 older Gateways running Win XP Pro ..... and they've all been EXCELLENT !!!

I always buy the most (best/most) laptops/PC's that I can reasonably budget, and even though my Gateways near 7 years old, I find that they are STILL reasonably current with todays technology and features.

11. youngdumbfullofcum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Well i have not had time to really look around just yet. But i keep hearing get a Mac get a Mac.

12. youngdumbfullofcum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

I hear once you go Mac ...you never go back :rolleyes:

13. youngdumbfullofcum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

I hear they are awesome.

14. youngdumbfullofcum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have had my laptop for 5 years now. Yes i was having problems with it, it would just shut off by its self if i was playing games or watching music videos on youtube. brought it in to get it checked out, they cleaned the dust out...seemed to help for a few weeks but still shuts down every now and than. they also told me it could be the battery. but I have been way to busy with work to even look around or even to get this laptop checked on again.

15. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

the cost of a new battery is one reason for considering a new computer. another is that a new computer comes with the latest operating system (Snow Leopard in case of Mac) which should be considered. I think the extended warranty is more beneficial for a laptop since it sees a lot more wear and tear.

I've been using Apple Computers since February 1978. I don't argue with people over which is better, but I don't hear near as many problems in Macs compared to PCs.

16. midlifebear

Gold Member

I've had good luck with Dell Inspirons. i had a Dell Inspiron 8600 that served as a damn good work horse for more than five years. The only problem was Microsoft. I hung on to Windoze XP II as an operating system until a power surge blew my Inspiron's little brains out.

I replaced it with a MacBook Pro with the extra large screen (17"?) and the maximum RAM, CACHE and ginormous hard drive, plus several other tits and feathers features. It wasn't cheap. But I have to do a lot of video editing when I travel as well as other visual media stuff (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc.). But I'm rather fond of this new MacBook Pro. Although for some unknown reason the original hard drive wouldn't boot up after I was irradiated going through customs in Atlanta and I kept getting an "Invalid B integer" message when I ran diagnostics on the damn thing. Fortunately everthing was backed up using Apple's Time Machine software. So I was able to retrieve it from online when they cheerily replaced my original hard drive in the Mac Super Store in Atlanta before I caught my connecting flight back to BCN.

One nice thing about Apple is they haven't "completely redesigned" their OS interface much since I had an old MacII. They've just kept refining the old interface. The new Snow Leopard OS is without question a far superior product than any version of Windoze I've ever suffered with. But they ain't cheap.

If it's just for kollege (school) then look at what Dell has available.

#16 midlifebear, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  17. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hey, I had an Aspire 5610z and an Aspire 3680. Both were from Wal-Mart and both are still running beautifully, and have been since the back to school season of '06! I can't knock Acer for reliability AT ALL. Plus they seem to have pretty damn good specs for the price. I can make one recommendation that I hope you'll stick to... Please don't buy a notebook with an AMD processor. For desktops AMD's are fine, but they have way to high a TDP rating and put out significantly more heat than their Intel equals. Until AMD can remedy the heat issues I'd steer clear of them in the mobile sector. The new Intel i3/i5/i7's are beasts of processors, especially for notebooks. Clock for clock a good mobile Core2Duo would make an AMD Turion II cry, and that's last generation Intel equipment. The i-series are clock for clock MUCH faster and cooler than anything AMD right now.

Sorry for that spiel, but I've been burnt by AMD before (figuratively and literally), so I have a somewhat one sided argument. Brand wise, I can back Apple (as I do have stock in them..lol) but only if you're not going to be using it on your bare legs or lap. If that be the case you might want to invest in a nice lap-pad also or some heat shields from the Discovery Space Shuttle. Other than that, I've had tremendous luck with:

ASUS.... bar-none they have the best warranty of all of them.
    Apple.... very stable, stylish, and usually long lasting (BUY THE APPLECARE!!)
    Acer..... Awesome reliability, but sub-par construction.
    Dell...... Don't go consumer Dell, go business dell. Latitude's are the BEST. (My E6400 is grinning at you :)
    Lenovo.. BUSINESS CLASS ONLY. Consumer line is Shiz.
    Viliv...... Best Ultra-Portable EVER. I have the S5 and S10 "Blade".

Stay away from:
    HP (!) They have NEVER made a notebook with an adequate cooling system. EVAR.
    Gateway... They're still improving since Acer acquired them not too long ago, but I'd give them a little more time.
    Toshiba... Many will argue this one, but they have VERY sub-par build quality. Components are usually good though.
    Compaq... Just a budget HP, with all the same flaws.

18. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah...try soliciting recommendations from the members of a tech-oriented site instead of a dick-oriented one.

19. youngdumbfullofcum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed today:rolleyes:

20. exwhyzee

Gold Member

You are on a good site to discuss this...we talk about all sorts of stuff here, including technology and even politics.

Draft saved Draft deleted