Thinking of visiting Atlanta

njreg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm in need of a short vacation, so I was thinking about visiting Atlanta, Georgia for a four-day weekend, possibly at the end of March or beginning of April. Does anyone have suggestions about "must see" sights or things to do?

I'm not a club goer or big sports fan, so that's pretty much all the limitations I have on what I don't want to do. That said, I wonder if the Olympic Park would be worth a visit?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just want to warn you that if you are planning to fly, their airport really sucks. It's just craziness and they are always changing the flight schedules... and the day before Thanksgiving my plane to Reno left there at least 10 minutes before scheduled departure time and it left me and at least 5 other angry people behind.

D

deleted116951

Unfortunately some big real estate investor bought out all the bars in Buckhead and is turning the whole area into high end retail, effectively destroying the bar scene down there. If you're looking for a drink I'd recommend the Highlands in Midtown, it just has regular bars and taverns no ritzy clubs.

As for the sites....Centennial Park is kinda meh. It's got kinda of a neat fountain though. I'd recommend the Aquarium. It's got what I think are the only two whale sharks in captivity as well as the second thickest sheet of glass in the world!

If you're a fan of soda you can also check out the World of Coke. Best part of that is tasting all the different kinds of soda Coca Cola makes around the world. Some of them are flat out nasty.

Oh, and our airport rules! I fly out of there all the time for business and pleasure and rarely have a problem. Since its the busiest airport in the nation they tend to keep things running smoothly unless there is some sort of crazy weather like snow (which the entire city shuts down for) but snow shouldn't be a problem in April.

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
I have visited a couple of times and enjoy the Georgia Aquarium and Coke World. They are basically next door neighbors. The Aquarium was the largest in the world when it was built, one tank holding 6.2 million gallons of water. They have whale sharks, and beluga whales on exhibit. There are also a couple of other big tanks....one of my favs is the coral reef tank. They also have a nice exhibit of Jellies, aka as jelly fish.

I was a bit surprised at coke world...I thought it would be the history of coke and we all might get a line....boy was I mistaken....it is all about Coca-Cola....(LOL). very interesting and lots of fun, especially the first video they show.....I laughed my ass off....and I think the people who put it together might have been high on coke, or some other psychedelic.....I was told they were high on caffeine. You can taste test different coke products from around the world...some good and some not so good.

Both have web sites so you might want to check them out. I was also told underground Atlanta was neat, shops etc....but it was undergoing lots of remodeling last trip there..

If you into the Civil War Kennesaw Mountain is right there also.

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
I forgot the CCN tour...interesting.

Be sure to bring some $$$$$ all of these have admission fees. If you are military be sure to bring your military ID....CNN is free with ID and I think Coke World is too.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Atlanta is a great place to goof off. There's a restaurant called Mary Macks that still exists (they moved from their old location) north of downtown that you should definitely check out for classic, southern comfort food that will guarantee to clog your heart, but good. You can go to Buckhead and visit the Swan House a typical 1920's Atlantean manse where the left over faded elegance of the reconstructed Old South can be gawked at. Nice gardens and house. In the same neighborhood as the Martin Luther King Memorial is one of the most classic rib joints you'll ever encounter (sweet and wet, not dry rub) and they sell out by 12:30 1:00 every day. You don't eat there. You just take an order to go, and then find some quite place to gorge yourself and get sweet and sticky. Can't remember the name, but the concierge at your hotel or a real native local can direct you (seems there are more non locals than locals these days). It's worth the visit.

I'm not a great sports fan, but they have an amusing baseball team. So, you might check out tickets for a Braves game if they're still playing ball. Peach Tree Plaza is a bit overrated, but what is worthwhile is taking the tour of CNN headquarters a few blocks away (I think it's about U$S10). And Atlanta's art museum has one of the best collections of southern folk art in the USA. The Atlanta Underground is just a shopping mall, but its historic relevance makes it worth wandering around -- underground. And of course, you can always take the Disney-like tour of Coca Cola's International headquarters. You at least get a free Coke.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's been many years since I lived there but no one mentioned SPRING, so I will. Atlanta is spectacular in late March/early April. April wil probably be better, depending on weather conditions. If you ulike looking at landscapes in full bloom with dogwoods, azaleas, irises, peach trees (of course), and wysteria, to name but a few, the Atlanta area is a good place to see it. It's my guess that the Druid Hills neighborhood just east of the city has probably retained it's character. As someone else mentioned, the "Highlands" tend to be cool and fun, also pretty.
Although driving can be a bit of a challenge (there are sometihing like seventeen versions of "Peachtree" (street, road, drive, etc..) renting a car so you have mobility could be a good things. Atlanta IS NOT laid out on a grid. You have to follow maps and memorize. Swan House is good. My guess it that most of the mansions on West Paces Ferry have been torn down to make room for condominiuns and McMansions, some may still be there.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
It's been many years since I lived there but no one mentioned SPRING, so I will. Atlanta is spectacular in late March/early April. April wil probably be better, depending on weather conditions. If you ulike looking at landscapes in full bloom with dogwoods, azaleas, irises, peach trees (of course), and wysteria, to name but a few, the Atlanta area is a good place to see it. It's my guess that the Druid Hills neighborhood just east of the city has probably retained it's character. As someone else mentioned, the "Highlands" tend to be cool and fun, also pretty.
Although driving can be a bit of a challenge (there are sometihing like seventeen versions of "Peachtree" (street, road, drive, etc..) renting a car so you have mobility could be a good things. Atlanta IS NOT laid out on a grid. You have to follow maps and memorize. Swan House is good. My guess it that most of the mansions on West Paces Ferry have been torn down to make room for condominiuns and McMansions, some may still be there.

lol.. I live here and you could not have said it any better.:cool:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've only "passed through" Atlanta - once on my way to Orlando from Indianapolis, and once as a layover in their airport on my way from San Antonio to Indianapolis. I'd like to actually get to see the city someday!

I would really like to go to the World of Coke and taste the sodas from around the world. Other than that I don't actually know a whole lot about the city. I'd also like to hang out some in Athens, GA. Not sure how far from Atlanta that is. Athens is known for the University of Georgia, and the hometown of bands such as REM and the B-52's.

D

deleted116951

Athens is an hour and half northeast of Atlanta (an hour if you're driving fast and there's no traffic) and is the greatest city in the world.

Yes, I graduated from there, can you tell?

Kevbo

Sexy Member
Media
Before you arrive, I would check the concert schedule to see who's playing. There are a lot of options there. I like the Variety Playhouse for the ratio of boho hipness to audience size.

Are you into the Civil War at all? If so, lots of sites to check out, particularly to the northwest of the city proper. A hike up and down Kennesaw Mountain is a nice little workout.

In a similar vein, Stone Mountain is just east of the city. I haven't visited it.

To the west of the city 5-10 miles, you have Six Flags Amusement Park.

If you have a whimsical side, try to make a pilgrimage to the Big Chicken in Marietta.

If you like waitresses with large breasts, the Cumberland Hooters is the "flagship" restaurant for the chain and often has the creme de la creme serving there.

If you rent a car, you will want to be careful on 285, 75/85 (middle of the city), 85 (as it crosses 285 at "Spaghetti Junction"), and 20 (where it crosses just north of the airport). These interstates can all be quite hellish at rush hours; the lanes on 75/85 are particularly tight, and 20 has a vestigial shoulder that people still insist on parking on, causing tense moments for drivers in the passing lane. Also, keep an eye on the weather -- if heavy rain is predicted (or looks imminent) try to avoid 285, since it curves a lot and the lanes quickly disappear in washout conditions.

If you intend to stay in the city:
* if you're going to be downtown and have extra $$$ for lodging, consider the Marriott Marquis -- it's a really impressive hotel;
* you can probably get around fine on MARTA, which is run quite well. Like any major transit system, you need to be a little more careful at night;
* the Midtown (*not* downtown) area has a really interesting feel to it, with small clubs, shops, etc., and neighborhoods with actual lawns.

And I'll add that I think the airport is really good, especially for its volume. Excellent dining options, shopping opportunities, and people-watching experiences :->.

Kevbo

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
Traffic and streets.....I have a nice Garmin 350Nuvi with a nice voice which tells me when to turn etc. Punch in the Street address and takes me right there. I used to use Google maps, but not anymore.

Again, check out the websites for the places suggested and you will get lots of information.

You could also hit up the website for the visitors bureau....

Hugh Mann

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Check out the Claremont Lounge on Ponce de Leon. It's been almost a decade for me, but there used to be a stripper there named Blondie who could crush PBR cans by dropping her tits on them. I made pizza for her once when I worked for a local pizza joint...very nice lady.

hobbitDJ

Just Browsing
Media
Now that's information you will not get at the visitors bureau!!!!!

Actually, you will. Blondie and her beer-crushing bazoongas are like a local treasure, and have been featured in ad campaigns, news articles, and visitors guides.

I would definitely visit the Flying Biscuit in Candler Park. This is set to become a chain, and the two newest locations are crap, but the original Flying Biscuit in Candler Park remains a true culinary landmark. Mary Mac's tea room is the preferred comfort food destination, though Agnes & Muriel's offers more modern takes on the classics. Also, Collonade is the revered home of all that is fried chicken. And it's attached to a hotel that fights tooth and nail every weekend to NOT be a sex club (notorious Chershire Motor Inn).

Check Ticketmaster for concerts, as we get a lot of good ones. Best venues for out of towners to get a unique experience would be Tabernacle (converted church in downtown) Variety Playhouse (intimate and small, gets some serious names), and Chastain Park (outdoor venue, some very high end tickets there).

Georgiaboy69

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you are into history, The Margaret Mitchell house is open for tours (10th St). Atlantic Station in Midtown has a few good restaurants and they have a huge Ikea store there. I definately recommend Mary Mac's also. Plus, check out whats playing at the Fox.