This guy is one of the most incredible guitarists ever.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stanley Jordan called and wanted his style back. He needs to lay off of that chorus effect, it's ridiculous. He is very good though and has an interesting style... I'm typing this as I am listening to it so he is getting better as it goes along. His distorted sound is pretty fucking cool and the harmonizer effect he uses is tasteful as hell... forget what I said about the chorus effect. He sounds like he would sound right at home in Zappas band and I see Zappa himself was a fan of Glenn's.

I am not a fan of the chorus effect on guitar... I mean, I still have my CE-3 pedal, but I don't use it... more so on keyboards (he does have a masterful control of some wicked effects though, his slap or spring reverb sound is killer!). He sounds like a cross between Zappa, Vai, Garcia and Anastasio... his vibrato technique is top of the line... I mean, really impressive! His backing band the "Hampton Grease Band" is pretty awesome too. Does he really need a backing guitar player?

He might be the most bi-polar sounding guitar player that I have ever heard... which is maybe a good thing if you take anti-depressants and are on a first name basis with the workers in the psychiatric ward.

Very fucking impressive Hickboy, I am on the fourth song and I LOVE it!!!!

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, Glenn was doing that bar with right index finger/tap with the left hand thing first. Before Stanley, before Eddie van Halen, before any of those guys. I could learn a lot about loopers from Glenn.

The Grease Band is actually Bruce Hampton's creation. Glenn used to be their guitarist, and was just sitting in with them in that video.

If you want to get one of Glenn's CDs, I recommend "Walking Through Walls".

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Incredible indeed. Thanks for the link.

And y'all can probably enjoy his music for an affordable cover charge in a club or bar. Amazing. (Never as amazing as that fact is to the underpaid musicians themselves)

Here in Toronto, many guitarists and guitar fans make up the audience at the Orbit Room most Monday nights to see virtuoso guitarist Kevin Breit perform with the Sisters Euclid. The floor is scarred with the avalanche of many dropped mandibles over the years.

A paltry $10.00 Monday night cover for an evening of top level improv in many unexpected genres. The legendary club was co-founded and is partly owned by Alex Lifeson of Rush fame.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That would be reason enough to visit Toronto right there. I'd bet Alex doesn't let any old body just wander up and start plinking.

You're right about the cover charge. I've never paid more than $10 to see Glenn.

Your cash would be king here. I'm talking $10 CAD. That's $8.17 US, man.

Mind you, the drink charges here are probably higher than yours.