This is funny

Pappy

Media
What makes it funny?? Two people had to endure discrimination on a night that should hold pleasant memories for them. I think the student should file charges against the school and it's policy. Not for monetary gain , but to get their policy changed.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pappy I agree, it's pretty pathetic when the least little bit of individuality is squeezed out of our youth! I fought this fight to very little avail while my daughter was in school, but at least she knew I was always on her side. Her principal had my cell phone number on speed dial! No matter to me, she won- she emerged from that horrible system with her own uniqueness intact. I had no idea that our schools had become so reform-school oriented, that was certainly not my experience and I went to a country school! Sadly, for a child to graduate with any of his own ideology intact is an uphill battle as the schools seem to focus on cattle-drive tactics. This is surely where we will be feeling the most damage for years to come.

Good for the kid for standing up for himself, although I'm sorry he had to sacrifice what should have been a better memory.

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Some people think the only way to run a school or classroom is to micromanage everything possible. I have one rule in my class...I expect civilized behavior. The kids are great. I don't care what they wear or how they do (or do away with) their hair or whatever. Personally I think the kilt is a great idea and they are classy. The mind is the important thing, and a kid who is willing to do something positive and different is a blessing in a school.

willie

Just Browsing
Media
Young people will always try to push the rules, it's part of growing up. Eventually they will push just a little bit too far and the authorities will look stupid, wherever they are forced to draw the line.

In this case the rules said trousers. If he had asked a few weeks in advance, my guess is that the rules would have been amended. Turning up on the night is being confrontational.

viking

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by willie@Apr 27 2005, 02:36 PM
Young people will always try to push the rules, it's part of growing up. Eventually they will push just a little bit too far and the authorities will look stupid, wherever they are forced to draw the line.

In this case the rules said trousers. If he had asked a few weeks in advance, my guess is that the rules would have been amended. Turning up on the night is being confrontational.
[post=305517]Quoted post[/post]​

My best friend in high school (female) wore a Tux to prom.
She looked great! Her date wore a matching tux.

I personaaly wear a kilt a lot.
I think it's just a stupid rule.
I mean, if a guy showed up in a tight leather miniskirt with his ass hanging out,
well, I MIGHT protest. but then again, Teens usually regulate themselves in that way.
A kilt is becoming cool again. Just like hip huggers did and Bell bottoms etc...

But there's always a control freak in the mix to make it a big deal.

Wonder if they have an underwear rule.
At least in a kilt, the guys underwear were not hanging out!!

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by db03@Apr 27 2005, 03:40 PM
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13336301,00.html
[post=305473]Quoted post[/post]​
I believe that to deny him entrance to the prom may have been illegal. There is a loop hole in the law that the school could have used and that is to specify in detaiil what the dresses and tuxes looked like. As in, they must be black with white shirts with this type of bow and cumberbund with patton leather shoes. In short all rented from the same store. But then are all the girls going to wear the same identical dress? Hardly.

Formal attire at school proms is usually a bit optional. And the variety of styles of tuxes is very broad.

So it is highly doubtful that this expulsion meets those strict criteria for a "uniform" which is what the school would have to prove was mandatory.

Personaly, I think the prom is for the kids. This is not English class. This is a social event. And youth more than anyone else sets the norm for social events. Prince Charles and Prince Phillip regularly wear a kilt when in Scotland.

I would think that attire that is appropriate enough for the next King of England would be appropriate enough for a high school senior.

And yes, this is hilarious. That is until you realize that two young people's lives were affected. They don't have those wonderful pleasant memories of prom night like the others do.

Shame, shame on the school.

For the record for new members. I am a retired teacher. God I wish the worst problem I had to deal with was what a high school boy was goning to wear to the prom (unless it was vulgar or something like that) No, in my day we worried whether he was going to pass, get into Harvard and things like that.

That school not only screwed up a prom night, but may have ruined a college career greatly affecting an entire lifetime. I am glad I don't have to carry that guilt around.

A Scottish outfit is becoming. I have Scottish ancestry. It offends me that someone would ban someone from wearing the beautiful attire of my ancestors.

Funny no. Tragic, yes.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
More proof that Americans are insane. I mean, it's not like he's flying suspended right above the audience from a helicopter wearing a kilt.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Freddie53@Apr 28 2005, 09:46 PM
I believe that to deny him entrance to the prom may have been illegal. There is a loop hole in the law that the school could have used and that is to specify in detaiil what the dresses and tuxes looked like. As in, they must be black with white shirts with this type of bow and cumberbund with patton leather shoes.

However, the salient detail was described: male students are required to wear trousers at Osakis High School. That's pretty clear. He wore a kilt; a kilt is not trousers; he didn't fulfil the disputed requirement. The school has a right to enforce its dress code.

Plus, the 17-year-old student was given the option of changing into a pair of jeans before entering the event earlier this month. It was his choice to decline. If one chooses to disregard the rules and refuse to correct the situation when given the opportunity, why does he have the right to whine about it? He knew, or at least was made aware of, the rule. Why did he expect it to be deferred in his case?

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Apr 28 2005, 09:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Apr 28 2005, 09:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Freddie53@Apr 28 2005, 09:46 PM
I believe that to deny him entrance to the prom may have been illegal. There is a loop hole in the law that the school could have used and that is to specify in detaiil what the dresses and tuxes looked like. As in, they must be black with white shirts with this type of bow and cumberbund with patton leather shoes.

However, the salient detail was described: male students are required to wear trousers at Osakis High School. That&#39;s pretty clear. He wore a kilt; a kilt is not trousers; he didn&#39;t fulfil the disputed requirement. The school has a right to enforce its dress code.

Plus, the 17-year-old student was given the option of changing into a pair of jeans before entering the event earlier this month. It was his choice to decline. If one chooses to disregard the rules and refuse to correct the situation when given the opportunity, why does he have the right to whine about it? He knew, or at least was made aware of, the rule. Why did he expect it to be deferred in his case?
[post=306010]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
I stand corrected on the loop hole which the school did follow. I missed that part in the discussion so that made the rule mandatory. UNLESS: The student and parents in this case want to challenge the school&#39;s right to require males to wear trousers at school functions. Who knows how a court might rule on this at a formal occasion.

I disagree with the rule, but it may be legal. And the young man while being right morally has chosen to possibly ruin his college plans. It would have been better to document the situaiton, wear the pants and then sue the school later for the rule being unconsitutional if that is what the parents wanted to do.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by jonb@Apr 28 2005, 09:12 PM
More proof that Americans are insane. I mean, it&#39;s not like he&#39;s flying suspended right above the audience from a helicopter wearing a kilt.
[post=305985]Quoted post[/post]​

I wonder if helicopters wear drawers under their kilts?

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Totally asinine that the school didn&#39;t allow the kid to express himself as well as honor his relative at a social function. Sad but true, this kind of shit, (The shit part being the discrmination)happens in perpituity with students. Yet we are told to respect foreigner&#39;s other&#39;s customs when they are here.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow,

This is getting insane. Go after the real juvenile delinquents&#33; This reminds me of the upswing in schools handcuffing young children recently. I am sure you all have heard about that too....

Naughty