This is funny

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Apr 29 2005, 02:13 AM
He knew, or at least was made aware of, the rule. Why did he expect it to be deferred in his case?
[post=306010]Quoted post[/post]​
cos it's a stupid rule. rules are only gonna be followed while they're acceptable; once you make dumb ones like that you've effectively forfeited your right to enforce them.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
One of the things kids should be learning about demonstrating against stupid rules/laws is that there are consequences to their actions.

If you are going to choose (civil) disobedience, be ready to pay for breaking the rules.

M. L. King, Jr. showed us that principle admirably.

Pappy

Media
I don't think the kilt was the problem OR the reason for expelling the boy, I think the knife was the core of all the trouble. Which is still ridiculous.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I thought that was a different kid. anyway, pecker is correct about having the courage of your convictions, but I don't think anyone should be using that as an excuse to tell kids NOT to challenge authority - there are enough shitless nobodies in the world already without raising yet another generation of them.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Apr 29 2005, 01:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Apr 29 2005, 01:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper@Apr 29 2005, 02:13 AM
He knew, or at least was made aware of, the rule. Why did he expect it to be deferred in his case?
[post=306010]Quoted post[/post]​
cos it&#39;s a stupid rule. rules are only gonna be followed while they&#39;re acceptable; once you make dumb ones like that you&#39;ve effectively forfeited your right to enforce them.
[post=306145]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Wrong. The school is totally within its rights to enforce whatever rules it has established. I agree that it&#39;s a stupid rule, but to ignore the rule and think that nothing will come of it is equally stupid. He should have addressed this concern well before the event, and perhaps some agreement could&#39;ve been reached. In the eyes of the school, a kilt is a costume. If he could have demonstrated that the wearing of a kilt is in honour of his cultural heritage and not an attempt to dodge the dress code, an exception might have been made. But he didn&#39;t do that. When he decided to take it on himself to break the rules without forewarning and let the chips fall where they may, he should not complain when the chips fell differently than he had hoped. I agree that he should be allowed to wear a kilt, especially on a special occasion, but I can&#39;t agree that it was his place to think he has a special right to disregard rules that apply to the entire student body. The school&#39;s superintendent said that the school might reconsider its policy next year. This, to me, is an indication that the school&#39;s administration might well be willing to listen to arguments that a kilt can be considered as appropriate attire in certain situations. He should have pursued a dialogue with the powers that be at his school, but he did not. In real life, bucking the establishment has repercussions. If we&#39;re not willing to suffer them, we shouldn&#39;t test the flexibility of the rules.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
yeah but my point was that it&#39;s a dumb rule and the school authorities are doubly dumb for enforcing it. I&#39;m sure it would&#39;ve been BETTER if the kid had done as you suggest and made some agreement with them before, but he didn&#39;t and they decided to be anal about it instead of just ignoring it. ti my mind the kid may not have been 100% right, but the school was definitely 100% wrong.

willie

Just Browsing
Media
The school was 100% right. Kids will always try to push the limits and schools are doomed to look stupid, when they draw the line.
Let in a kilt and the next year it will be a fancy dress party.

A sensible approach would be that students would have to apply in advance, if they wish to deviate from the set dress code. But the school wasn&#39;t given a chance to be sensible.

Challenge the rule, not defy it.

Pappy

Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Apr 29 2005, 02:16 PM
I thought that was a different kid. anyway, pecker is correct about having the courage of your convictions, but I don&#39;t think anyone should be using that as an excuse to tell kids NOT to challenge authority - there are enough shitless nobodies in the world already without raising yet another generation of them.
[post=306236]Quoted post[/post]​

Rock you&#39;re absolutely right, it was a different case that I referred to in my earlier post. I understand that you have to have rules to keep some semblance of order, BUT at the same time rules are made to be broken. What would they have done if he had shown up in a pair of clear vinyl slacks without any underwear?? He&#39;s wearing slacks as per the school policy. I know that a ridiculous comparison but you get the point.