• The child names mommy's breasts
  • When your son and husband start fighting over who gets the good breast

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi,

Now you may want to shoot me for saying this, but no one mentioned the dependency issues in the mother. We all know this is not an unpleasurable experience for the mother either.THough I have never been a mother nor engaged in breastfeeding, I do think a great big 8 year old with teeth needs to get with the program. My mother used to crack me up looking at some younger mothers stretching out the process into the 4th and 5th year. She would just say, "Mmmhmmmm, that baby isnt the only one enjoying that experience! " LOL! I will say no more....:rolleyes:

I agree I think the mother may like the fact that her kid is still depending on her for breastmilk. It may be making her feel more important. Or she may not like the fact that her kids are growing up and they are not babies anymore.

Ed69

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is just odd,mom's gotta be doing something.Both of our kids stopped breast feeding under two years of age,on thier own.My wife was more than happy to have it end.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I really don't think of myself as a prude, but I do think a child should definitely be weaned by that age. When their teeth start coming in, that's for a reason - they are biologically maturing to the point of moving on from breast milk to solid food. I agree with the analogy to potty training.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hrm. I guess if the child is going to continue drinking breast milk, then the least they could do is pump it. No more boob attachment, but they still get that nutrition. Another thing... I haven't looked this up or anything, but my pediatrician and my friends pediatricians all said to top letting the baby have a pacifier and a bottle at one year of age because after that point, in can also start affecting their teeth and how they grow in. Children who continue to use those for extended periods generally have worse teeth than those who don't. Is sucking on the breast not the same action as sucking on a pacifier or bottle?? Wouldn't it cause the same result?

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Gerber, Similac and Enfamil are not natural, and cannot possibly be better than breast milk.

Though I understand what you man about formula prducts being "unnatural," I have to disagree that the y can't possible be better than breastmilk-- many mothers simply cannot brastfeed for various reasons, including mom's milk supply being too little or not nutritious enough, or that the child can't tolerate mom's milk. I personally chose not to breastfeed because I was on medications that pass into breastmilk and to me, the risks of that outweighed the benefits of breastfeeding. In defense of formula, millions of children from all walks of life have grown into exceptional adults. Also, the formula companies have made a sincere effort to make formula nutritionally consistent with breastmilk.

I'm not going to argue that breastmilk isn't better for a child's immune system, however, to make a blanket statement like that is a little disingenuous.

The women in other countries who do not have access to these "wonderful" products certainly do have access in many cases to at least a limited variety of fruits or vegetables and cereal grains. They also have mortars and pestles. If they thought food was better for their children, they'd feed them these things mashed up, minus the preservatives added by Gerber.
This is quite untrue. The problem in developing countries with malnutrition is that mothers have limited access to any food-- which puts them and their children at risk whether breastfeeding or not. It is a lot easier and more nutritionally complete for the child to nurse because the body makes the milk supply first at the expense of mom. And, in fact, mothers in those countries do feed their children solid food if it's available to them. Gerber and other companies make plenty of organic baby food, which I bought for my son. He didn't like it so he ate mostly "adult food" when he was weaned, but there is quality baby food out there. And if not, there's the blender.

My point is, NJQT, as far as I see it, was making the point that many times food is in short supply in developing countries, so breastfeeding longer is necessary.

The girls eat food. They are getting what they need physically and emotionally. The girl who no longer breast feeds talks about it like she wishes she still were.
My concern with this is that at some point, children need to start separating themselves from their mothers and becoming individuals. This is a mother's main job. In our culture and in the culture these girls are a part of and will need to assimilate into, kids are expected to go to school, play with their friends, and eat and drink independent of their mother's breast. This may emotionally stunt these girls because they are too dependent on their mother at an age when they are expected by society to be more independent. This can cause a lot of problems. We do not raise our children in isolation, and even if we don't love the norm in our culture, we do have to realize that children are expected to live in society at large and therefopre have to stay at least somewhat aware of that. What this woman is doing is so far from the norm that it can't be healthy for her children's growth among her peers.

To each their own. I know a woman who was still suckling her 3 year old son, who said she'd do it until he stopped wanting it. He gave it up on his own around the age of four. She was feeding him a high fiber (vegan) diet, and he was just too full for milk too, though he still loves to be cradled. I don't see what the big deal is, or how it's abusive.
Actually for all of your railing about formula, vegan diets in children are extremely troublesome because it is very hard to meet the nutritional needs of children who are fed vegan, much moreso than formula. Like mothers in developing countries, it was good that your friend breastfed so long because it helped meet that child's nutritional needs in ways that vegan diets can't. There have been numerous reports of abuse because children fed vegan are often malnourished. Children need much more fat and protein in smaller amouts of food than adults do. Vegan diets are not as nutritionally dense.

I agree that breastfeeding can probably be healthy for your child forever. Not arguing that point. In fact, almost everything I found online says that breastfeeding should continue until you and the child decide to stop. But when does it "cross the line"? I never breastfed, wasn't able to. I tried, though. But I couldn't have seen myself breastfeeding my son past 1 year, MAYBE 18 months. It's incredibly inconvenient.

I'm in the same boat as you, meg, and so far it seems to have worked just fine. I have a two year old right now, and I can't see him wanting to breastfeed-- he's extremely energetic and will stay on my lap for all of 3 minutes. This is something that I think is wonderful-- an independent child will be an independent adult.

And after a certain age, the nutritional benefits do decrease, as njqt466 said. What five year old wants to tell his friends that when he gets home from school, he's going to snack on cookies and boob? Seriously. My son was strictly formula fed. Started on cereal when he was 4 months, baby food at 5 or 6 months, and some normal "adult" foods (i.e., hotdogs, dry cereal) at 9 months. He's incredibly intelligent, fully functional, independent, and has no health problems at all. Not even seasonal allergies. So I guess formula can't be all bad. I do make an exception for people in 3rd world countries who don't have milk or formula or whatever other items their child would need to have a healthy, balanced diet. That comes out of necessity. But here in America, I think it comes out of want/need/insecurity on the parents behalf.
The nutitional value does decrease simply because your body knows it's time to wean. Mothers have always weaned their babies either because a new one was coming or they had to take care of the home or otherwise work. I don't know any statistics, but I'd say that pre-contraception, children were weaned WAY earlier out of necessity than 3,4, or 5. I would venture that school-age children is really only possible in the modern world, especially as old as 7.

Now you may want to shoot me for saying this, but no one mentioned the dependency issues in the mother. We all know this is not an unpleasurable experience for the mother either.THough I have never been a mother nor engaged in breastfeeding, I do think a great big 8 year old with teeth needs to get with the program. My mother used to crack me up looking at some younger mothers stretching out the process into the 4th and 5th year. She would just say, "Mmmhmmmm, that baby isnt the only one enjoying that experience! " LOL! I will say no more....:rolleyes:

Naughy, I agree with this. A lot of mothers that I know personally seem to have more attachment to the brestfeeding than the kids-- and children go along with their mothers because, well, that's what kids do. A friend of mine refused to pump because she simply didn't want to be separated from her child. At this point, he's almost a year old and she's seeing that he doesn't want to breastfeed as much because he's eating solid food-- and she's not pushing him to feed anymore than he wants, even though she misses it. Kids know when they are ready to wean, and though some may take until 2 or 3 to get off completely (one feeding, usually at night), it seems like it's mom who wants the child to feed longer, not the child. Many mothers depend on their children much more than they should to fill their needs above their children's. I can't see how this is not the case here.

I wanted to say something regarding the family bed. My son slept with us in bed until about 2-3 months ago. We'd put him in his bed and if he fussed we'd read him a book or give him a sippy cup of water, and if he woke up inconsolable, we'd bring him into bed with us. Over those months, he's been staying in his own bed more and more, and comes into our room only in the morning to wake us up so he can jump on our heads. I don't think it's a bad thing that he was in our bed, but I also think he needs to learn to be on his own, even if it's at his own pace. On another note, my husband dearly misses having the boy in our bed, much more than he does. My husband works long hours and sleeping with the baby has been very special to him. However, he's also realized the need for the child to become independent, or make room for another baby who would co-sleep. Also, there does come a point where it gets very hard to get a child into their own bed, and I imagine breastfeeding is the same way. Both, at 8 years old, seem unhealthy to me, not to mention inconvenient for the parents. At some point, mom and dad need to have a life together again.

B_Jeremy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm pretty much agreeing with AlteredEgo here.... really don't see the big deal. From the video we can clearly see that they can act as normal as any other family, so it's not like it's ruined their lives... or any of ours.

I see it in a few different ways, clearly they aren't being forced and it's not abusive in any sense that way, but also, they don't seem to be taught on what is "normal" (I use the term loosely, since normal is basically defined as what we agree with), and how what they're doing can be viewed as "wrong".

Different strokes for different folks. Earth has what... close to 7 billion people? We're not all molded the same way.

Also, naughty, had a laugh at what your Mom said. LOL

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ever notice how some folks who get all righteously indignant when judged by others are quick to be judgemental themselves?

Ever notice how some folks who can only make snide comments with little sustance are quick to get snippy at others who make a reasonable attempt to intelligently comment on a topic?

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
The mother deffinatly has a seperation problem then.

Hi,

Seperation/dependency :p

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I breastfed my daughter for all the "health benefits" and of course to experience the bond that is formed between mother and infant. The bond that we gained was awesome, however her immune system sucks. She gets colds a lot, and has seasonal allergies, and if a cold gets bad enough will develop upper respiratory induced asthma. I don't know what I’m doing wrong, but what I did right in the beginning didn't seem to help. I weaned her from the breast, and put her on pumped breast milk at about 4 months, and pumped for 2-3 more. I tried, but there came a point when the positives outweighed the negatives (milk let down in public, engorged breasts, leaking, mastitis, etc, ick, etc). This woman CANNOT be enjoying the negatives, trust me, I remember.

This lady might think she's allowing her child to feel secure by allowing this to continue, but it's really only enabling her to be dependent on her mother for security. At age 7, it is long overdue for this child to be developing these skills on her own, not via the breast. Not to mention it's just a little creepy to see a full grown child laying there in the cradle position suckling her mother's tit. Just think if she had a friend over, and decided she wanted to nurse....do you think this little girl would have many friends after that? Hell no. Why? Because it is socially unacceptable in our society. This lady is hurting her children, and if she wants to behave as if she lives in a village in some third world country, she should move there.

Ooooh. I need to stop, I'm getting pissed.

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is a difficult one in a lot of ways, because it is on the line of "where does a parent get to decide what is good for their child?". It is a parent's responsibility to look after her child, but the child isn't his/her property to do as he/she wishes with.

I think it's an interesting debate, where do the rights of parents to choose how to bring up their child stop and the right of the child to be given a good and normal life begin?

bluekarma

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
This is a difficult one in a lot of ways, because it is on the line of "where does a parent get to decide what is good for their child?". It is a parent's responsibility to look after her child, but the child isn't his/her property to do as he/she wishes with.

Actually, the child is his/her property to do as he/she wishes with. Not to abuse, of course. And not in a cave man sense. But until that child is (in the US) the legal age of 18, the guardian/parent is responsible to make decisions in the best interest of that child. A parent always gets to...no, HAS to decide what is good for their child. That's what we do, that's why we're here, and of course to love, protect, teach and nurture them.

I think it's an interesting debate, where do the rights of parents to choose how to bring up their child stop and the right of the child to be given a good and normal life begin?

The rights of a parent to choose how to bring up their child stop when the child becomes either self sufficient, or a legal adult. Otherwise the parent is obligated, and must choose a plan to bring up their child and give them a good normal life. This isn't the Childs decision, ever. Of course they can have options, or choices, but ultimately...it is up to the adult, otherwise, why would children need us?

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I recall watching an american News magazine tv show a few years
ago in which Lindsy Wagner of tv fame Breast fed her children until
they were 7 or 8 years old. And on the same show they had a former model Carol Alt who breast fed her kids until they were 5 or 6.

My own kids were breast fed for a short while, 6 1/2 months and
7 months respectively. My wife and I did not want to go the Formula route. But luckily both kids would'nt take to it.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
It's Time to Stop Breast Feeding When:
  • The child can ask for the breast
  • The child is able to undo the nursing bra and pull the breast out
  • The mother is no longer comfortable with breastfeeding
  • The child draws pics of him/her self breastfeeding
  • The child names mommy's breasts
  • When your son and husband start fighting over who gets the good breast

I remember my health teacher in middle school told us the story of how she found out that her friend was still breastfeeding her son, who was nine years old. She said that they were sitting having a casual conversation one day and her friend's son came into the room with a blanket and sat across the mother's lap. The mom then proceeded to unbutton her shirt and cover her son and breast feed him in front of my teacher!:eek: My teacher said she was dumbfounded and very uncomfortable, and told her friend that she'd go to the kitchen until they were done.:redface: She told us that what she really wanted to do was to run out of the house screaming!:biggrin1:

Anyway, we ended up discussing until what age it was appropriate to breastfeed a baby. We all agreed that if a child can walk up to the mom and ask to be fed, or open up the mom's blouse, then it was probably no longer appropriate for him to be breastfed.

ssnead

Just Browsing
Media
I agree with the posters who want the kids taken away to become wards of the state, and the Mother shot. We have far too many people in charge of the upbringing of their own children in this country.

Blocko

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Actually, the child is his/her property to do as he/she wishes with. Not to abuse, of course. And not in a cave man sense. But until that child is (in the US) the legal age of 18, the guardian/parent is responsible to make decisions in the best interest of that child. A parent always gets to...no, HAS to decide what is good for their child. That's what we do, that's why we're here, and of course to love, protect, teach and nurture them.

Being responsible to make the best interests is a service, where as property is a sense of ownership and entitlement. No one owns a child (legally) in the first world and all first world countries have law on childrens rights that would contravene property rights. I would say parenting is a contract, between a parent and their child.

Often the role of the parent isn't just to make decisions in the best interest of the child, but be able to provide a good range of choices for their child to make their own decisions and to enable them to make good decisions, as a child is a thinking and feeling independent entity.

In return, a child's love is an extremely precious gift, the reward for upholding your end of the bargain.

I'm not a father, but I have helped raise more than one child... and that was the bargain I always felt like I got.

The rights of a parent to choose how to bring up their child stop when the child becomes either self sufficient, or a legal adult. Otherwise the parent is obligated, and must choose a plan to bring up their child and give them a good normal life. This isn't the Childs decision, ever. Of course they can have options, or choices, but ultimately...it is up to the adult, otherwise, why would children need us?

Well, I think the line is a bit more blurred than that. If the child is capable of making a decision, he/she should be able to, within healthy bounds set by the parents. Children aren't soldiers to march to orders, they're people who aren't yet aware of the dangers of the world. I'd say it's a parent's job to make sure that the right options and information are presented to a child to make them choose one of the many right paths... you can't make a bad child behave, but you can give them the best information and options such that they'll see it's the right choice to make.

Abuse is often when parents give the wrong information and wrong set of choices to their children... The wrong information in this case being that it's alright to breastfeed at several years old.

Being young is a time for learning and learning involves making choices and decisions... sometimes making mistakes. My parents let me make a lot of my own decisions and a lot of my own mistakes, even when the knew the consequences... and I guess this is the model I intend to adopt myself. :smile: