This is the week American Idol winner is chosen

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This would be the week, the week David Cook and David Archuleta find out which one is Americas favorite. The past years statistics say Archuleta is the winner because of the demography of the voters. Alot has been said over the last weeks about his dad and past years and being Mormon and just plain bullshit. Do you think the sure thing David A thinks he has is gonna back fire. I totally thought he could have been gay by his responce to questions about girls and date to proms and stuff like that. But being gay and Mormon is a very difficult thing to be. Could this be why his dad was so arguemenitave about david singing the line "all you beautiful girls" in his rendition of Stand by Me. American Idol producers say they want David to be able to make his own decisions. When David turns 19 being mormon means he will have to spend the next 2 years in sevice to his church before he goes to any university. Would David Cook be the easier idol to work with , could American Idol's show of audience decision just be a hoax, could the producers override the audience vote to put through who they think would be the better talent.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Donnie and Marie Ozmond didn't serve missions. Not all Mormons do.

Whichever David wins, it could be a curse. Not many of the AI winners have gone on to career success. Most of those who have succeeded have finished as runnersup.

My vote goes to David Cook.

dudepiston

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yep I agree with Pecker, it doesn't really matter now either one has as good a shot as any in that biz to make it big. I think Cook's the better talent, but Archie has his following & he's got a great voice so I think he'll go far in contemporary Christian music, maybe.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
cook is certainly more original than archuleta. i could build a david archuleta robot and the result woult be the same, technially executed songss with a minimum level of passion or conviction. david's novice is proven with new material. when he sings a new song, he usually goes off-key and even has trouble keeping up with rhythm. the only GOOD performances he's had is with the songs he's been doing since he's a kid. that's like going to a good restaurant that only offers chicken a la king. great dish, but at some point you've gotta learn to make something else.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I find them both exceptional talents, but for me, David Cook is really the more original and deeply moving.
I hadn't seen the show at all and merely seen clips of Archuleta on YouTube ... had never, until last week, seen Cook at all.
I expected to prefer Archuleta but just didn't once I'd heard Cook.
Fine though Archuleta is, Cook just gets you at a deeper level.
My opinion anyway.

I don't think Archuleta's Mormonism will be a factor.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
All I can say is he tore up "First Time Ever I saw Your Face" I am hoping there is a studio version on youtube soon so I can record it. If you search youtube for the artist and add studio version you can usually find a full studio version of some of there song. David Atchuleta moves me emotionally but I don't want to listen to sad song that make me cry stuff all the time. David Cook would def be the more commercial choice in my opinion.

I did read where David A's bishop suggested that David singing to all these people in his carreer could be considered as service, so I wouldn't doubt he'd have a religious nature to the themes in his music.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
I predict David C. all the way and that it won't be much of a "humdinger" as Simon expects. David A. is a good singer and all, but still quite young and lacks variety. Save a few, winning it all has been the kiss of death, though, and is something I don't really wish on either of them.

EDIT: My prediction is based solely on the merits, incidentally... my fear is that in reality David A. may still walk away with the teenybopper vote. :rolleyes:

bbristow

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cook should win. I'm sick and tired of the cutesy-cutesy singers whose songs were chosen by their mothers or something.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^same here. archuleta lacks confidence and it often looks like he's singing to please his father more than he is from enjoyment. he usually looks awkward and uncomfortable unless he's singing a song he mastered earlier in life. i can't imagine paying for a concert to watch somebody stand in the same spot for an hour and a half and sing ballad after ballad after ballad, interject an uptempo song with weird, jerky rhythmless movements, then sing another ballad, then another, then another.

i'm not excited about either contender, what david cook is doing has been done before, but i'd definitely rather pay to see him than david a.

the show is getting stale and needs MAJOR revamping. if i hear one more top-10 "ain't no stopping us now", i'm gonna hurl. clay and ruben did it, a few other contestants and groups did it, i know they can afford more songs for their catalog. they need to find a way to make more songs available cuz you've heard one amateur version of whitney or the beatles, you've heard em all.

the hour-long results show needs to end too, it feels like 4 hours. i like the concept of the show, especially when diamonds are found in the rough (fantasia, kelly, carrie, etc...) but the execution is awful and its to the point that i just record it and fast forward to watch the contestants i like, and hear the judge's antics.

*simons face after fantasia performed was PRICELESS.

cm70874

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Honelty Marely if your thing about the producers picking the winner are true they will pick Cook becuase he is so much more marketable than Archuleta.

But for real, David Archuleta is far more technically gifted vocally than David Cook. D. Cook seems to scream in alot of the songs he sings, but everyone likes it (don't know why).

I am actually over American Idol. I believe Jordin Sparks was the last, truly different sound they will ever find. David Archuleta sounds like Elliot Yamin, and David Cook sounds like Chris Daughtry.

cm70874

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Oh and B-T-Dub, did anyone else catch that disaster of a performance by Fantasia? Oh my eyes, she still sounds ok, but....Wow!!!!

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^amen. i'm watching the finale just for the sake of seeing it, i've never been less excited about a finale than this year. they're both decent, but unoriginal. there are a million david archuletas and a million david cooks, and another million of people who are better than both.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oh and B-T-Dub, did anyone else catch that disaster of a performance by Fantasia? Oh my eyes, she still sounds ok, but....Wow!!!!

disaster?? she displayed more energy and originality in 4 minutes than syesha+david archuleta have the entire season. like her or not, she danced, she didn't stand in one spot, and my favorite (though many don't like) is the different cadences and timbres of her voice. i wish people appreciated the musicality of her voice. when she's "screaming" she's sometimes hitting several notes at one time. janis joplin was the queen of this, being recorded once as hitting 8 notes at one time. fantasia isn't a master of the technique and usually just sings the same note in two different octaves, sometimes she throws in a color note which adds a nice flavor. fantasia is a ROCK STAR. few women sing with enough balls to match james brown or steven tyler or other rock stars, i've had my fill of one-dimensional, one-toned operatic belters (mariah carey, david archuleta). i like voices with different sounds to them. plus tasia's use of improvisation is unmatched by ANY idol winner or contestant. her use of scats and runs is the difference between belting a song like a robot (david archuleta), and singing it every word has immense meaning and importance.

bbristow

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
since we're delayed here by 2 weeks, i haven't seen the Fantasia performance in full, but i saw it in the news...

WHOA!!!! i think i'd enjoy that performance of hers. weird, but fun!

can't wait to see the whole thing!!!!

cm70874

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
disaster?? she displayed more energy and originality in 4 minutes than syesha+david archuleta have the entire season. like her or not, she danced, she didn't stand in one spot, and my favorite (though many don't like) is the different cadences and timbres of her voice. i wish people appreciated the musicality of her voice. when she's "screaming" she's sometimes hitting several notes at one time. janis joplin was the queen of this, being recorded once as hitting 8 notes at........... quote]

I never said she couldn't sing. I met her, actually sat outside her massive house in Ballentyne (sp?) I was just turned off by the hair color, the random body spasms and the guy who sang with her and forgot some of the words.

I just wish she would have sang "Only one U" (tear) My favorite song. And don't get me wrong, I love a good "sanger" myself. Christina, Whitney....I know a voice when I hear one. And I have no problem saying Fantasia is in that list. :biggrin1:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^lol that was her brother rico and he looks to have lost a lot of fat and gained some muscle. may have just been the shirt but it looks like brotha was hittin the gym. lol @ the spasms, you call em spasms i call it better than standing in the same spot or doing the generic moves everybody on idle does (the knee slap, the hand-elbow clap, the 2-step).

i actually liked the hair color, it doesn't look good with her skin color but its a hot color and she did look a little ghetto trampish but she's never tried to play the beauty queen card.

Altitude

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
*simons face after fantasia performed was PRICELESS.

Haha, indeed it was. I loved it! I think Syesha should've won the whole thing, but if it has to be then David Cook should win merely for showing something original and stepping out of his comfort zone. David A singing "I need you boo" wasn't even funny. He looked awkward as hell up there. Either way I think both of them will have careers in the future, but neither will probably match the successes of, say, Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^kelly rocks. syesha though, seriously? she's awfully generic and unoriginal. she goes in the idol-contestant-who-would-do-well-on-broadway bin. her voice is nice but there's little originality there and i can easily imagine her making a throwaway r&b album that sounds like whatever else is popular at the time. me personally, as far as cd's, i like an artist that speaks to me, that communicates something with the song as opposed to robotically belting out passionless-but-brilliant notes.