This is the week American Idol winner is chosen

bbristow

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ON a side note... I think Carly should have been in the finals she was always my fave along with David C. :)

i agree, Carly should've been in the finals! or maybe the top 3. i'm glad i found a Carly fan around here. her tattoo's great :biggrin1:

Kevbo

Sexy Member
Media
A little late joining in, I haven't logged in since Tuesday...

VERY GLAD to see David Cook win. I loved his arrangements (even though they weren't always his) and he sang the hell out of them. He sang the Chris Cornell version of "Billie Jean" better than Chris Cornell, and that's saying something.

I would put Cook's performances of "Hello", "Billie Jean", and "Always Be My Baby" among the best ever on American Idol. Gotta make him the champ on that criterion alone! What differentiates him from Chris Daughtry are 1) much better feel for good arrangements, and 2) much better outside his "genre". He killed "Music of the Night" on Broadway night. Daughtry, as good as he was, would've been out to sea that night.

Other great performances this year (IMO):
* Jason Castro - "Daydream"
* Ramiele Malubay - "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me"
* David Archuleta - "Imagine" (the first time)
* David Hernandez - "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone"
* Amanda Overmyer - "I Hate Myself For Loving You"
* David Cook - "Eleanor Rigby"
* Chikezie - "She's A Woman"
* Carly Smithson - "Here You Come Again"
* Michael Johns - "It's All Wrong But It's All Right"
* Syesha Mercado - "One Rock and Roll Too Many"

Others will disagree, assuredly, but I never "got" Brooke White, barely got Jason Castro, and just didn't dig the tone of Carly's voice, though technically she was the best singer in the Top 24.

For "Failure To Choose The Right Songs", I would grant awards to Ramiele Malubay and Michael Johns. Both should've placed much higher. Ramiele, in particular, had a great first week and then completely played against her strengths.

For "Totally Jobbed By The Judges", I would nominate Robbie Carrico and Carly Smithson. If you go back and listen to Robbie's 2 performances, you'll note that he is technically perfect -- all his notes are dead-on and his range is excellent. But the judges concocted some issue that he wasn't really a "rocker", maybe because his tone was so pure (not scratchy or "full-bodied" enough) or maybe because they spotted David Cook's potential earlier on and didn't want to dilute his appeal. At any rate, Robbie found himself defending against a non-issue, the defense against which is "So what if there are 2 or more rockers amongst the finalists?" As for Carly, she would sing the blazes out of a song, then have to face nitpicky comments about her clothes or what her song "meant".

All in all, though, a much better season than last year, with a much better Top 12. The finals were very satisfying, and I wish David Cook the best.

One final thing: I know that a lot of David Cook's appeal came from "Cougars 4 Cook" and other MILFs. Just let me say, in the spirit of reciprocity, that Cook's mother was quite delectable, and I would cherish the opportunity for instruction at her, er, knee.

Kev