This just pisses me off!

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Fredro, May 23, 2009.

1. Fredro

Fredro New Member

Ya know, I sometimes read through some of the profiles of people on the internet and check them out. I understand that people become HIV+ and I do not hold that aspect against them.

That being said, I'll say this - So many times, I have read profiles where a person writes "HIV+ but undetectable" or "POZ but viral load is undetectable". This makes me think that these people are trying to make it look like they are no risk/low risk to a NEG playmate. People are having a hard enough time understanding the message about safe/safeR sex without throwing this crap into the equation.

Why do these people decide to throw that business in their profiles about low or undetectable viral loads? Am I missing something here? Is a person with a low viral load any less virulent than a person with a high viral load? Is it worth finding out by playing unsafely?

Don't mean to piss any one off but I really don't get it.

#1 Fredro, May 23, 2009
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. B_LgPenisSupporter

B_LgPenisSupporter New Member

Why assume these statements are for the sole benefit of NEG playmates? Perhaps these statements are not so much about virulence but to quantify their health state across the spectrum of HIV. Such statements are more concrete than say..."HIV+ and healthy". What's "healthy" to one may not be to another; undetectable can be meaningless as well, but more people (POZ & NEG) understand that. Besides, kudos to the person credit for disclosing to begin with.

3. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Might i add my 2 cents in here as well? I believe this statement is probably not to assume they cant spread the virus, but to give notice to the people who might be interested that they dont look or appear sickly. Some people are in the more advanced stages of AIDS and might be on their way out the door so to speak.

I think this gives information that they have a lot of life left in them for potential relationships, long term wise.

4. Fredro

Fredro New Member

You both are correct about all that. Those aspects did not occur to me.

I did try to go back and change my header from "This pisses me off" to "I don't understand this". It seemed too harsh.

5. B_LgPenisSupporter

At least one can change replies...if you're quick. My original was "F--- you, ignorant a--hole". I'm just kidding...;)

6. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Its a legitamate diagnois' numbnuts, I believe it mean their viral load is under 75, another words undetectable. It doesn;t mean they can no longer transmit the virus and Im sure they know this...Get your facts dude.

Last I checked you can't catch anything but ignorance on the net.

7. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Maybe you should get your viral attitude checked out. Sounds fatal DUDE.

8. Fredro

Fredro New Member

Hey, I was only trying to understand all this. The first two put things into perspective and helped me understand it all. No need to get testy. You tell me to get my facts. I think that's what I was trying to do.

9. Fredro

Fredro New Member

But ya know - On the other hand - How many people out there read these profiles and ignorantly assume that the person has a viral load so low that you can't become infected by them?

I was talking to a guy one night a long time ago. He said "You know, ***** really likes you. He's poz but his load is so low that it's almost like he's negative."

10. B_LgPenisSupporter

Okay class...

1) The only legitimate, and medically acceptable diagnosis is "HIV disease" (ICD-9: 042) - this diagnosis covers the entire spectrum of the disease from asymptomatic HIV+ thru ARC (AIDS-complex) to full-blown AIDS.

2) Undetectable refers to the blood testing, NOT the disease. All viral load tests have a cut-off point below which they cannot reliably detect HIV. This point is called the limit of detection and varies from one test to another.
    However, just because the level of HIV is too low to be measured by these tests, it does not necessarily mean that the virus has disappeared entirely. The virus may still be present in blood, but in amounts too low for the test to pick it up. Viral load tests only measure the amount of HIV in the blood. Even if you have an undetectable viral load this does not mean that your viral load in other parts of your body, such as your lymph nodes, is undetectable.

3) For older viral load tests, the lower limit of detection was 400 or 500 copies. However, ultrasensitive tests measuring to 50 copies are now routinely used. Some tests can measure even lower and are mainly used in research.

4) Having undetectable viral load is desirable for two reasons: A very low risk of developing AIDS and a very low risk of developing resistance to the drugs the person may be taking.

11. Fredro

Fredro New Member

Hmmmm - very informative and interesting. Thanks!

12. ejection_handle

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Simple enough and now it makes sense; keep it simple stupid, thats my moto.

13. B_LgPenisSupporter

Exactly...being "undetectable" has meaning only for the individual w/HIV.

14. Dr. Algonquin

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yeah, it's just a way of letting people know they're currently healthy (knock on wood) so they don't worry that they'll be in and out of the hospital, bed ridden, or likely to die as soon as you get attached. If they were trying to lull someone into a false sense of security they'd probably just not admit being positive at all.

15. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge

Ignore him; he's an idiot. You asked a valid question and you're getting valid answers. You did the right thing.

16. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Still BAITING people huh, thought you got FLUSHED

17. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I saw you in the sewer and changed my mind. Guess who's back....back again.

18. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Not for long WE hope

Draft saved Draft deleted