This one's for you, Stronzo

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DC_DEEP, Jul 21, 2006.

1. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I originally posted this in another thread, but realized it may not get read... Here's an update for those of you who like to stay current on social issues:

"Congressman Under Fire For 'Outlaw Divorce' Remarks
    by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff
    July 20, 2006 - 7:00 pm ET

(Washington) A Tennessee Democrat is under fire from Republicans over comments made earlier this week during the House debate on banning same-sex marriage.

Rep Lincoln Davis (D-Tenn.) lambasted House Republicans accusing the party of wasting time voting on amending the Constitution to block gay marriage - a vote GOP leadership knew was unwinnable - when it should be dealing with issues like Iraq and the economy.

"If we truly want to protect marriage, we should look and do all the things we must to go after the evils that threaten each and every one of our marriages," Rep Lincoln Davis (D-Tenn.) said. "These are the evils of divorce, adultery and abuse."

Davis also said that divorced people, adulterers and child abusers should be prevented from running for office.

"The amount of divorce that has occurred in this country has become a threat to marriage," he said.

"What do our children learn when they see their parents getting divorced left and right, only to remarry and get divorced again? What kind of example does that set?

"Mr. Speaker, this House must lead by example," he said.
    Some House Republicans are calling the remarks irresponsible while others are demanding a public apology.

Davis's spokesperson said the comments did not mean the Congressman was going to introduce legislation but to point out the marriage issue was being brought up by Republicans as an election year ploy.

"The intent of the Congressional speech was not to say that he intends to introduce legislation making divorce and adultery a felony," Tom Hayden told The Tennessean newspaper. "Rather the intent was to point out the purely partisan nature and timing of the amendment."

The proposed amendment was rejected in House of Representatives on Tuesday. It fell 47 votes short of the two-thirds majority they needed.
    A similar proposed amendment failed to get enough votes last month in the Senate."

The I underlined one portion to point out a blindingly, glaringly, inconsistent attitude on the hill. This is what we are dealing with. I am just nearly speechless <?> that any legislator would have the audacity to think it's ok to have a constitutional amendment against homosexuals, to "protect" marriage, but bans on divorce irresponsible??????

2. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Now we're talkin' DC

What's intensely interesting to me is what you've posted appears to be the large picture of our own little microcosm at LPSG.

Interesting the correlations to the back of forth of government one can draw from what you've just posted here.

Thanks DC for raising the bar. Will give initiating thread due consideration but wanted to acknowledge your good effort.

Since I've just given it a read-through (which indeed I had not before) it occurs to me that perhaps, just perhaps, marriage is obsolete given the way it appears to divide people so easily.

3. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

DC--

I saw early this morning but did not have the time to paste it here. Thanks for sharing.

My Greatgrandmother would say that the congressman's words were "too much like right"-- meaning--they make to much sense for anyone to actually pay attention or follow them through.

4. NCbear

Gold Member

Finally, a Democrat other than Hillary and Barack with courage enough to speak truth to power.

End easy divorces, and then let's see how long the anti gay marriage BS will last. Especially if gays and lesbians are agitating against easy divorces.

NCbear

5. madame_zora

Gold Member

Well, I am certainly a marriage culprit. I was a three time divorcee by 35 and no longer believe in the institution at all (for myself). If ANYTHING makes a mockery of marriage, it is the people who involve themselves in it haphazardly, like I did.

We have good excuses. We have a society that paints of picture of "Happily ever after" with absolutely NO acknowledgement paid to the hard work of living with another person. No one discusses marital roles, conflict resolution methods, very few people even discuss money or children- it's just based on feelings, which change so easily.

Lets be honest here- how many of our "marriages" really happen because they get pregnant? Yeah, great way to start off- makes it reall easy to love each other when you're forced into it.

Another thing- there's very little honesty left in the world. We can't be honest about even the simplest things, because much of our data is being manipulated for political reasons. Back in the 90s, I remember reading that two out of three marriages were ending in divorce. I tried to research this recently (within the last couple months) and couldn't find ANY statistics that weren't being reported with some political slant in mind. I found stats on first time marriages amoung certain groups, etc- but nothing that would just come out and say- "this many people got married, and five years later, THIS many people are STILL married- it wasn't there. I found numbers that said we were down to 40% divorce rates, but that's a lot of horseshit.

Like No Child Left Behind, if you just change WHAT you're measuring, you can make statistics say whatever you want, but it doesn't impact reality one iota. Hell, maybe gays could actually make marriage MORE respectable. Maybe that's what the straight repubs are so afraid of- gays just might be better at it. GOD knows straight people have made it a live joke, myself included.

6. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Ugh. Marriage.:redface:

** another victim raises his reluctant hand **

7. dreamer20

Gold Member

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Stronzo and MadameZ, (and others) I realize that there are lots of dreamy-eyed notions and misconceptions about marriage. But the plain and simple fact is, in this country (and probably any other country where marriage exists) there are certain social and financial aspects to the institution.

In the 5 or so years I have been with my partner, we have created/acquired a not-too-inconsequential amount of joint property. We will eventually no longer be together, most likely due to one of us dying, but at any rate, it would be nice for us to have some legal protections on our estate. The neo-cons simply do not want us to be able to have such protections, as if it were any of their business to begin with. If you think a Last Will and Testament, or even an insurance policy with a listed beneficiary gives legal protection, you are just flat out wrong.

To all you ostriches out there, go ahead and stick your head in the sand. The Nazis On The Hill will eventually come after something you treasure. I'll support you as much when that happens as you are supporting me now.

Draft saved Draft deleted