1. Welcome To LPSG
    Welcome to LPSG.com. If you are here because you are looking for the most amazing open-minded fun-spirited sexy adult community then you have found the right place. We also happen to have some of the sexiest members you'll ever meet. Signup below and come join us.

This should make any decent person mad as hell

Discussion in 'Politics' started by justmeincal, Apr 19, 2010.

1. JTalbain

JTalbain Experimental Member

That's messed up.

2. justmeincal

justmeincal Experimental Member

Albums:
    You're damn right it is. I hoped everyone involved gets their asses sued big time.

3. 392847

392847 Guest

Reading that really pissed me off and actually brought tears to my eyes. How could anybody treat another human like that? I truly believe in karma and those that knowingly participated in doing this will reap what they sow...

4. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy Banned

Already been discussed in another thread.

5. justmeincal

Albums:
    I didn't see a thread on it already posted. Can you give me a link to it or a pointer on how to find it?

Thanks.

6. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy Banned

7. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy Banned

8. HazelGod

HazelGod Sexy Member

Albums:
    Stories of human cruelty like this make me wish that I did hold some belief in perdition... :no:

9. Bbucko

Bbucko Expert Member

Albums:
    As I wrote in the other thread discussing this appalling tragedy, none of this would be an issue if gay marriage were allowed. Special rights? Bah!

10. justmeincal

Albums:
    Exactly! I hope there is a special corner in Hell for those responsible for this. What the fuck kind of person wouldn't at least allow them to stay in the saming nursing home together!

I hope this gets some kind of national press.

11. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy Banned

Or better yet, if the govt took its nose out of the marriage issue all together.

I was raised to understand that marriage is a religious institution, not a governmental one. I still can't figure out what in the hell government has to do with marriage...

12. B_Mister Buildington

Eh, the decision makes some sense.

13. BikerBear

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This is where the LGBT activists (yes, in a kind way) are getting it wrong.... It seems to be the word "marriage". It's freaking people out (mostly the religious right). The LGBT community is hell-bent on using the word "Marriage".

Until we agree to call it "Civil Partnership", "Life Partnership", or what ever term other than marriage, we will not see our partnerships recognized at the Federal level in the states.

I am an American, living in the UK. We have Civil Partnership here, and no one from the heterosexual communities give a toss; what they DO object to is the use of a word with religious connotations. Fine, let them have it.

We could care less what you call it..... we just want the same legal rights as "straight" partnerships/marriages.

This article made me so angry, I had to read it in two sittings....

Cheers!

14. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy Banned

What decision are you referring to?

15. houtx48

houtx48 Expert Member

This taken from Joe My God blog. "The full complaint is here. (PDF) Meanwhile JMG reader Rick, suspecting that this abuse was the work of evangelicals, uncovered this little biography of the wife of defendant Michael Brewster."............Religious wacks telling the rest of us what is good for us and they are worried about the government trying to take control.

16. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    That was very sad. I wish Clay the best of luck in reclaiming what is rightfully his, but nothing can justify that.

17. Sergeant_Torpedo

Sergeant_Torpedo Experimental Member

I am not gay so honestly cannot appreciate the cogency of this cruel ruling. If I remember my US history there was a time when black people were denied legal status marriage. If we had decent people in public office this sort of persecution wouldn't happen in the first place.

18. midlifebear

midlifebear Expert Member

Houtx48:

Thanks for the link to the the actual court complaint. It makes the ballad of Clay and his lover more than just a story. Also, checking out Joe. My. God. I discovered that Joe also has a Holy Crimes section. From now on I'll probably just provide a link to that section of his blog. I appears he covers almost exactly the same criminal religious horrors I've been gleaning. Plus, Joe is extremely humorous.

Yup, trust the christians of the world to destroy the peace, liberty, and freedoms of others in the name of their ideology. Truly a sad problem.

19. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy Banned

That's why I quit going to church after having gone to 4 local churches, and they all were full of fascist bigots. After a while, I just couldn't put up with it anymore. I don't need to go to church to know that I'm living an ethical life. If God is everything we're told he is, then he knows I did the right thing. And if not, then there's no need to waste my time anyways.

20. Bbucko

Bbucko Expert Member

Albums:
    You know, these two posts really remind me how different my upbringing was from so many others. Neither of my grandparents were married in a church; both had civil ceremonies. And although they were two very different couples, probably the one thing they had in common was that they raised their families with a non-denominational/Unitarian type of religious appreciation (albeit very Protestant).

None of my uncles, aunts or cousins ever have had anything but a condescending distrust for charismatic Christianity or any other type of fervent piety. My parents church-shopped and settled on very-low-church Episcopalian more out of a sense of parental duty than any actual religiosity, and everyone in my nuclear family breathed a sigh of relief when, in my early teens, we all just stopped attending.

Marriage was seen as a vital and necessary step in the maturation process: a "settling down". It conferred an adult status suggesting that one could begin his/her life of establishing a home and beginning a family. Among my female cousins, it was also a path to emancipation: they all married young (between 19 and 21) and made wrong choices. Not a single one of their marriages endured past the five-year mark, and despite their all having been married in churches, at no time were there any religious ramifications or consequences in those divorces.

As I came out while still in High School (as did my sister shortly after me), my relationships were never given the same weight of significance nor support. It's not that my parents objected to my being gay (they were both very accepting of me, though much less so of my sister), but the implication of maturity and "settling down" was just never considered appropriate. Deeply into my 20s, my parents' attitude toward my relationships was always of the condescending sort reserved for high-school crushes. When my lover passed of AIDS in 1992, neither could be made to understand why I chose to devote his last days exclusively to his care: they both thought that I'd have been better off abandoning him to his fate alone.

Again: religion paid no part in their inability to comprehend my relationships or equate them with the troubled pairings of my cousins, most of whom are by now on their third or fourth tries. And for all their "coolness" about having a gay son, they are still unable to conceive of my (or my sister's) relationship as being of the same importance as their own (which ended in 1975) or the subsequent marriages (one of which ended in divorce as well).

We have an existing institution that already confers all the necessary gravitas to relationships (including immigration rights): it's called marriage.

And although I'm currently an infrequent poster here, I'm on record as being personally ambivalent on the subject of same-sex marriage: I find the idea that we, as leaders of the avant-garde in society, are clamoring for enfranchisement into the world's most bourgeois institution vaguely appalling. But until we achieve full civil equality in the eye of the law (fuck the opinions of the bible-thumpers), our places as second-class citizens will endure. And as I continue to age, I'm finding that harder and harder to tolerate.

21. HazelGod

HazelGod Sexy Member

Albums:

As I get older, I become more convinced that not only does Kuhn have it right, but his theory applies just as well to all collective human social developments. Understanding of social and cultural norms is generational, largely because so few human beings are either willing or capable of following paradigm shifts when they occur. We literally have to wait until the previous generation dies out and takes their now-archaic notions of normalcy with them.

PS: Good to see you back in black, Uncle Bb.

22. Bbucko

Bbucko Expert Member

Albums:
    I've always been fascinated with the popular concept of "closing down",like those women who haven't changed their hairstyle in 20 or 30 years: how can they not realize how absurd they appear?

I call myself a social anarchist precisely because I've never allowed societal "norms" to interfere with my personal pursuit of happiness, but it's sure not a life I'd wish on anyone else.

PS: Thanks, babe: much like those old beer ads, some days are better than others :cool:

23. b.c.

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    IMO, what "government has to do" with it is enact legislation that, like any other CIVIL RIGHTS issue, would seek to protect people from this kind of discrimination.

24. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy Banned

^That's my point though, if the government gets out of the business of picking winners and losers in the first place, then there are no rights to abridge. The government's role is to be an impartial referee, not to impose moral values on individuals.

You should understand, I fully favor any committed couple of any orientation to have the same rights to the same economic benefits. Or conversely, nobody should get any special benefits, and we should just lower the tax rate on everyone slightly to account for the difference.

Either way, I agree that what goes on now is BS. Know what I mean?

25. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    Most Christians have made a mockery out of religion: they corrupted the holy teachings for their benefit as well as justification to be mean and hateful. And this is not unique to Christianity, either. All religions are guilty of this.

What you do sexually with a consensual adult is no one's business - NOBODY'S. Nor does anyone need to justify it to the world. That's sick and twisted.

That it wasn't "Adam and Steve, but Adam and Eve" is such an over-simplified argument used over and over again (Islam says that, too). It denies the complexities and individualities of the human person as if we're all just continued replicas of "Adam" and "Eve" over time.

26. b.c.

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

#27 b.c., Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  27. b.c.

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    In a more perfect world that might be possible: possible for government to stay out of overseeing fair wage and employment practices, protecting the environment against dangerous industry and business practices, protecting minorities and women against discrimination, protecting the consumer against unfair practices by banks and corporations, protecting drivers and consumers against shoddy and/or dangerous products, ensuring that most at least have a shot of getting some kind of relief when needed from unemployment, in health care, in financial assistance...

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need the government for squat.

#28 b.c., Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  28. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy Banned

^Not sure what any of that has to do with the current topic, which has no relevancy that I know of to the things you just mentioned.

Exactly what do married people need 'protecting' from?

:confused:

29. b.c.

Gold Member Verified

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I didn't say. I said government is needed to protect the rights of its citizens.

However, the author of the article (cited in the o.p.) seemed to argue the case for unions legally defined as marriage (and for laws guaranteeing equal protections for same sex marriages). I don't want to get into a debate as to whether this is necessarily so, or should be.

There are various definitions for "unions" in (so-called) heterosexual society ("civil union", for example). IMO, it should be plain and simple: Whatever rights and responsibilities that applies to heterosexual unions (civil unions, marriage, or otherwise) should also apply to same-sex unions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice