This site

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Nitrofiend, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Nitrofiend

Nitrofiend New Member

Has anyone really thought much into what this site is a culmination of? We have the capabilities of engaging in trivial or significant discussion. We have lengthy debates over all things concievable. Some of us have furnished probably are best essays to date on the forums. Most of us are in open acceptance of our widely varying sexual orientations and walks of life. At the click of mouse, we can flip through galleries containing our exposed bodies and faces, and link them to the personas evident in our individual styles of posting.

What we have here, is effectively an interactive and widely participated membership base of Playboy Centerfolds. Except not only can you read some broad details about the model's life and personality, you can contact them and they can personally see your leers. Or you can discuss topics of interest and engage in intellectual discussion. Or nonintellectual discussion as a situation may warrant.

My point is, has anyone really considered the broader ideals this site so effortlessly encompasses? On LPSG.org, we have public acceptance (and even indifference) to sexual orientation and nudity, and legitimate debates about topics that are ever ranging in scope and detail. And last I checked, there are only thousands of actively posting members on the board!

Do you think it's just people with our personal attributes that can coexist like this, or do you think much more people could participate if only given the chance by society to do so?

2. Belly_Dancer

Belly_Dancer Member

It's kind of like a naked "Breakfast Club."

3. SassySpy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gosh. Kind of spooky that I find this thread after the one just 're-opened' by Gisella in Women's Issues. Now I'm all talked out. Dammit.:rolleyes:

4. GoneA

Gold Member

This is such an excellent thread! To answer your question: yes, many more people could participate if only give the chance by society, and very much so. What we have here is definitely extraordinaire, evident, I'd say, by people's inability to leave.

5. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

I can't believe Gone A is going to hit 5000 posts before me - he is such a whore :wink:

Yes Nitro - cool isn't it.

There are probably as many reasons to enjoy the site as there are people here. That isn't very profound, I know, but we generally accept anybody's reason for being here and don't judge it. Then we have fun etc..

6. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

I missed all of that excpt you called me a playboy centrefold

I LOVE YOU
    :kiss:

7. Bacchusbigboy

Bacchusbigboy New Member

Albums:
    WOW a real deep question

Anyone can join this site and Web 2.0 is a powerful thing that anyone could do what happens here - but they don't, why? May be it is the people here as well as the technology the culture that incourages good and healthy dicussion.

So can the culture be transfered?

8. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

I would imagine that there are lots of more people who would participate in this type of a forum. There are, of course, exceptions. There are those who would prefer to interface with people who share their political ideals, their own race, orientation etc... exclusively. There are some who are too hate filled to be a part of this community. There are also some people who do not have the confidence to post what they believe in and still others who lack eloquence and an ability to express themselves. There are millions of people who either do not have internet access or are unable to type.

I would say that this site evolved into what it is now. It did not spring up overnight. It required interesting people to read, people who could have knock down, drag out fights and still remain on the same board and not hate each other. In short it required a special group of people.

I have no doubt that it could be duplicated; perhaps on some smaller and more obscure board it already has; after all, this site was not always at the top of Google nor was it featured on a BBC program for years after it all started. I like to picture a few other sites that promote the same ideals as flourishing but still just under the radar.

9. D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Excellent thread, Nitro. I have given this a little thought over the past few months because this is the most accepting and diverse group of people (notwithstanding the occasional troll who usually gets his exit visa quickly) I have ever encountered and wondered why this is not replicated in RL. I think the anonymity is what drives this openness, and it's doubtful that in the harsh light of day it would flourish. Too many people are reluctant to voice their acceptance of things that are supposedly outside the mainstream for fear of being criticised or teased. Maybe in sophisticated circles in metropolitan areeas there will be a slow growth in this kind of refreshing sense of community, but it will not gain momentum in small-town or Midwestern America. Frankly, even this place is a rarity on the internet. To have found it is serendipitous.

10. Nitrofiend

Nitrofiend New Member

It's interesting for you to point that out, because the "LARGE PENIS" aspect of this site makes it somewhat remote, and requires a certain leap of faith to access it for its own merits. That's definitely a contributing factor to the reclusiveness -- intimidation.

11. GoneA

Gold Member

I was a whore LOOOOOOONG before I discovered LPSG. :wink:

12. Wrey

Wrey New Member

I was chatting with Kink the other day on a similar topic…

What I love most about LPSG is how few garbage messages I read here. By that I’m talking about all of the ‘too arguments.”

Too tall
    Too short
    Too fat
    Too skinny
    Too white
    Too black
    Too gay
    Too str8

All of these GARBAGE MESSAGES seem to be miraculously missing here at LPSG. I’ve been participating in the “Say something nice about the person above you” thread today and I LOVE the fact that there is a thread here devoted to SAYING SOMETHING KIND to someone you have never met! What an awesome and powerful thing! Imagine if not just we, but everyone did this JUST ONCE every day to someone new… what a world we would live in!

I know, I know, a pretty Polly Anna point of view. I think it’s only Polly Anna because we think it is, not because it actually is. We get fed garbage messages for breakfast, lunch and dinner every single day! But not here. Here I get to enjoy some AWEsome people, and better yet, I get to experience what it is TO BE ENJOYED. To have someone out of the blue send me a PM letting me know that they think I am hot or interesting, or just plain cool…. That is a beautiful thing!

I have seen some posts that regard this behavior as ‘ass-kissing’ or ‘popularity vote garnering.’ So so so very sad….

We have been trained from birth to feel that we are never good enough, that we don’t deserve, that someone is always better, or prettier, or smarter, than we are.

I think of LPSG as a class to unlearn this crap.

13. viking1

Gold Member

This place is a rarity on the Internet. Most forums I have read are not nearly this civil. They aren't nearly as intersting either. I read a lot here before I joined and I decided that the "large penis" part was just that...only a part of what is really here.

Real life discussions are very different. Unles I REALLY know and trust someone I would just as soon they not know my size or sexual ideas.
    The Internet makes us pretty much anonymous. It's not likely that I will meet any members here in real life. Even with a mug shot someone would have to know me very well to figure out who I am. If someone here dosen't like me or makes fun I can just stay away. I won't have to listen to the bull every day like I would at work or school where I couldn't just leave.

I would very much like to have intelligent discussions of sexuality in real life, but that opportunity comes along very rarely. It's hard to find anyone who is that open, honest, and trustworthy. People seem to be much more competitive when face to face.

14. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

When asked what was the meaning of life, Gautama Buddha held up a lotus flower.

15. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

It is the very apotheosis of civilization.

Otherwise nobody would put up with it ... outside of the Gallery, of course.

And we owe it all to the West's subjugation and enslavement of electrons in their uncountable multitudes.

16. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

I was actually having another thought on one possibility as to why this board is different. It my be somewhat of a tribute to Mr. Marks vision of an open board. Most people who were not around for it at least hear the stories that once this site ran without mods. For years it was obscure enough that we were able to taunt trolls till they got bored and deal with our own problems (I got some pretty good recipes from those days.) Basically, it was the membership of the board who decided who was a troll and who was worth communicating with. It was not a case of the TOS saying what would be tolerated so much as it was a group of people deciding as a community what would be tolerated and what would get you a good thrashing.

It also meant that if the board did not want internet short hand we did not have it. I notice now that there is more and more of it and instead of being corrected people are simply posting positive and encouraging comments after it; are we becoming lazy and assuming that if the mods do not censure it then it must be good?

I know that with the advent of the BBC's “documentary” making mention of this site and other such occurrences we need mods... I just wonder if like Isreal in the bible we have requested a King (read mods) so that we are like the other nations (read boards) and if that along with the increase in membership will lead to this board loosing some of it's character.

Edit:You will have to excuse my pessimism, I am bitter at life right now and I guess it is going to show on some of my posts.

17. Full_Phil

Full_Phil New Member

Isn't that all that matters? We got here in our own way, and it means that this is the place we should be --- at least for now

18. dannymawg

Gold Member

"...it's such fun to read. And... Mo-lay really pumps my nads!" - Bender

:biggrin1:

19. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wrey wrote:

To have someone out of the blue send me a PM letting me know that they think I am hot or interesting, or just plain cool…. That is a beautiful thing!

Wrey, you are hot, AND interesting, AND cool. So there!

Draft saved Draft deleted