This whole "I pledge" flap

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Flashy, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

anyone been following this?

essentially some principal somewhere showed this bizarre Obama "I pledge" video to the entire school, and predictably, some parents on the right side of the aisle flipped out...even the principal said she knew when she was showing it, that she wished she had seen it first...

the flap is that this was a thinly veiled Obama/agenda video masquerading as simply a public service pledge...

i had not seen the video, but when i did, it really did reek of agenda. I think, rightly, if Bush had engineered a video like this that was shown to school kids, those on the left side of the aisle would have flipped out too, and rightly so.

for those who have not seen the video, i have linked to it below:

I think what makes it so creepy, is not just the inclusion of C & D-Listers, and Obama devotees, but the genuine hypocrisy of many of the folks involved...

if it was just about being good and nice and working hard and helping etc. it would not be particularly bad, but when it veers into issues, it is crossing the line (not to mention, not really believable) there are alot of nice important issues and genuine heartfelt expressions stated, but some of it is pure politics.

when you see some of the folks in this particular video, talking about "responsiblity", etc. and then look at each particular person, it is rather absurd...not just the video, which is a tad creepy (ashton kutcher? :eek: ) but each person and many of their hypocrises, total irresponsibility and lack of actual beliefs in what they are espousing...let us examine:

some of the "stars" included: ( i do not know them all)
    (i also am not castigating the behaviors of these folks, in terms of drugs and alcohol, i am simply pointing out that responsibility does not go hand in hand with crime and addiction)

Eva Mendes - alcoholic and who knows what other addict
    Cameron Diaz - caught smoking dope in public, bondage pics
    Demi Moore - former coke addict.
    Courtney Cox and her boyfriend, whoever he is -
    Dakota Fanning -
    Eva Longoria -
    Jaime Pressly -
    Nicole Richie - possessing heroin while driving, DUI, driving the *WRONG* way on a highway after taking vicodin and reefer...
    Ashlee Simpson - can't even take responsibility for lip-synching
    one of those badly dressed twin brothers who are in a band -
    Lucy Liu -
    Alyssa Milano -
    Michael Strahan -
    Ashton Kutcher - general knucklehead
    one of the guys from Entourage -
    the assistant from Entourage -
    Anthony Kiedis - former heroin and heroin addict
    Jason Bateman -
    Jenna Elfman - scientologist...nuff said
    a pretty girl, i am not sure who she is -
    Punky Brewster -
    Gina Gershon -
    Rumer Willis??? - oh, please
    Tom Hanks wife -
    Laura Linney -
    Puff Daddy,Diddy, Puffy, P Diddy, whatever - talking about energy conservation :rolleyes: while flying private jets and owning escalades...not to mention his criminal history
    Kate Beckinsale (I think?) - she is not an american citizen, is she?
    Julia Ormond - she is definitely not an american citizen, is she?
    that weird little Hayne Pantera person -
    Aaron Eckhart -
    Robin Wright Penn -
    Marisa Tomeii -

i do not know about you, but i found this video to be really creepy...

i mean, seriously...could you imagine a video discussing responsibility/etc. where Britney Spears, Jon Voight, Bo Derek, Robert Duvall Charlton Heston, Ron Silver, Arnold Schwazenegger, Bruce Willis, Sylvester Stallone, Jessica Simpson, Shannon Doherty, Gary Sinise, Mel Gibson, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Chuck Norris, Heather Locklear, Kelsey Grammer, James Caan, Dean Cain, Lacy Chabert, Jon Cryer, Lorenzo Lamas, Kevin Sorbo and Stephen Baldwin all said "I pledge to serve our president" (and then Arnold Schwarzenegger kissed his biceps and says I pledge allegiance to George W. Bush)

YouTube - I Pledge!

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Now you stop making fun of Punky Brewster!!!! :biggrin:

3. Flashy

Gold Member

she lost my sympathy when she had her breasts reduced :mad:

4. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    her name is Soleil Moon Frye.....

5. Flashy

Gold Member

and here i thought Punky Brewster was her real name :rolleyes:

6. houtx48

Gold Member

don't believe in pledging............don't pledge...... for someone who is not nonjudgmental there are some rather strong opinions.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

perfectly sensible, as always :rolleyes:

care to rephrase that in something closer to making sense?

the whole point of viewing it, is to form an opinion based on what was seen.

congrats on another perfectly useless post.

8. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I would hate to see my name in that list because of everything that would have to be written after the-
    Industrialsize-.............(list of crimes and vices for all the world to see)

9. invisibleman

Gold Member

I pledge to be myself.
    I am sure I have some major sins and perceived immoralities.
    And probably have potential to realize many more.

But I hope that people understand that I do have some good within me and
    I do have a heart.

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Just the juicy stuff, please... :biggrin1:

11. Principessa

Gold Member

You and me both! :eek::redface:

I'm cool with that.:cool:

IMO The video/PSA is fine until you get to the tattooed freak kissing his biceps. After that it goes down hill. Actually thats not true I don't like the graphics at the beginning as they do kinda remind me of Hitler's propaganda PSA's. I can't believe I just said that. :yikes:

12. Narcisse

Narcisse Member

I don't really see the problem.

The video was not made by Obama. It was made by supporters.

This however might be a problem if it is shown to school kids. But still, this is not Obama's fault. It is rather the school principal's fault, isn't it ? Am i missing something?

13. invisibleman

Gold Member

The video was fine by me. If it were shown by a teacher to a class...that may be wrong...because the video could be perceived as a Democratic party solicitation because of the intro and outro.

I think that everyone could benefit being better people though. That should be the focus regardless of political party affiliation.

14. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think there's a limit to the number of characters in a post.:biggrin1:

15. dreamer20

Gold Member

^^Ditto. The video didn't need to be Obama flavored. Nevertheless what is important, and not hypocritical BTW, is that the participants, even those with sordid pasts, do what they pledge to do - which included a pledge to change how they lived and be better persons as well as the pledges for the betterment of others.

Via this video Ashton Kutcher genuinely wanted to inspire altruism akin to his own altruism displayed here:

ashton kutcher charities - Google Search

16. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Whatever, dude.

I laugh in your "libertarian" face.

You can sit on the sidelines and take potshots at all the "righties" and "lefties" all your lifetime long (although you only ever seem to do it to the lefties, even though on all those political chart links you've posted, libertarians are aligned much more closely with the left than the right--hmmm).

The quoted post is like some sort of incredible amalgam of Facist/McCarthyesque moral outrage wedded to tmz.com., or perhaps, "TheSmokingGun.whatever" .

Amazing.

17. Freddie53

Gold Member

There is obviously some politically motivated statements mixed in with some non political pledges. However, presidents have been doing this for years. The Republicans have had similar videos out there with some of them making it to some schools.

I only saw one pledge that alarmed me. That was the pledge TO OBAMA by one of the people. Had they said pledge to America or even to pledge to support the President without naming a particular person, it might have passed under the radar.

That is the only pledge that I saw red flags all around it. I'm with NJ here. It is a reminder of some the Hitler flim clips. Not the entire video, just that one small segment. It should have been left out of the video.

I am a Democrat who voted for Obama.

Supporters of both parties do these kind of videos and get them seen in schools all the time. But that one clip was over the line.

18. lucky8

Gold Member

Why don't they just "pledge" their money? It'd do a lot more than this video...

19. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Tempest in a tea pot.
    Probably shouldn't have been shown in a school though.

20. midlifebear

Gold Member

Yo, Flashy:

If Bush/Cheney had created or their party/supporters had created such a public service announcement I would have fallen dead of a heart attack. Those folks don't think beyond their own self interests. But it would have been a good move on their part. Granted the same can be said of Democrats who are "professional" politicians and talk from both sides of their mouths. But I can't find anything wrong with espousing positive humanism. That's possibly where you may take umbrage -- the concept of humanism instead of some morality directed by a religious belief. I don't know. That's between you and your Rabbi.

And they could have ended that PSA with "I pledge to help the President, House, and Senate to work toward creating a more equitable United States of America for all citizens." Instead, they seem to show their colors by mentioning only pledging to help President Obama. But it's not as heavy handed as the pledge of the Boy Scouts who have so far successfully found it possible to discriminate against homosexuals as "unclean."

I took a pledge, when I volunteered to serve in the ancient Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) to support then President Nixon, (whom I still detest, but regard as much less harmless than Reagan, the Bushes or Cheney), to uphold the constitution and work for two and one half years helping "rebuild" America. VISTA was a Kennedy alternative to the Peace Corp.

What I do take great offense with/at/over/about is the current version of the Pledge of Allegiance when Republicans (and a few Democrats) decided that the word "God" had to be added. I don't believe in God. But for some reason God had to be added to mollify the not-so innocent lambs who do believe in a God. And several years ago I was publicly embarrassed when I dragged a bunch of non christian friends to a local rodeo in Nevada (good rodeo, too) where the Master of Ceremonies was some dickwad Southern Baptist who started the rodeo by giving a prayer (OK so far. I'm used to that.) And then ended his bible thumping invocation by thanking "Our lord, the son of God, Jesus Christ!" There was a bit of mumbling among my friends (all Jews) who found it remarkably offensive that the Master of Ceremonies decided that "we all had to praise Jesus" instead of simply saying something a bit more universal such as "In the name of our lord, amen." THAT was a major low moment for many of us at the rodeo. Some woman several rows behind us loudly announced that it was obvious only god-fearing christians attended rodeos and she didn't feel too welcome. But bringing up such subtleties with a born again yahoo is futile.

As a former elementary school teacher, I would not have had a problem showing that PSA to my students every day. Because in the strange State of Ewetaw every morning most public schools are started with prayer and/or the Pledge of Allegiance. If any parents complain they end up being encouraged to consider alternative schools for their children, because the State Attorney General certainly isn't going to do anything about it.

But I'm a Truman baby. Even in the late 40's and throughout the 50's and 60's we were encouraged to think about the welfare of others than just ourselves. That's something that changed dramatically with the "ME" generation exhalted in the 1980's and continues today.

There was a thread started a few days ago that asked: "What makes you happy." Of all the responses, only one or two alluded to helping others as something that made them happy. Very sad.

#20 midlifebear, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted