This wholeTwilight Vampire New Werewolf Moon Madness...

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i know rubi, but let's face it, the teen idol phenomenon is not based on young women's sexual libido, so much as it is based on their somewhat sexual, but primarily fantasies about love, relationships, etc.
It's all intertwined. Isn't that what we're told women do? Confuse sex and love?

they buy teen magazines where you can learn everything about the idols, from their favorite color to their favorite food...the pictures are non-threatening and smiley...17, Tiger Beat, all that stuff is to sate young girls' burgeoning fascination with being loved or in love...sex is the secondary directive, love is the first...
Once again (with feeling) this genre of teen fiction is directed at young women ages 14-18. I don't know any 14 year old girl who reads Tiger Beat. 12? Maybe.

guys do not want to know what kind of music Megan Fox listens to...they want to know if she can put her legs behind her head or put her whole fist in her mouth.
You still haven't explained what this has to do with anything. For the record, my girlfriends and were reading every smutty book we could get our hands on when we were teenagers. Not that we weren't interested in how guys looked but we found we responded better to the written word.

i do not think msbliss is able to separate the fact that while girls do indeed have sexual thoughts at a young age, the teen idol fascination is based on the want and desire for love, and an idealized man to be in love with, that they project these exxtremelyy intense emotions on <snipped for brevity>
Flashy, sometimes you make one want to pull their hair out by the roots. Your original post states that you don't understand what the fuss is all about with the Twilight Saga and surrounding media frenzy. I explained it to you and you refuse to accept it. You wrote this long diatribe about how teenage boys and girls operate differently with regards to sexual awakening when it has nothing to do with your original statement. You claim not to know why girls are ga-ga over this momentary phenomenon then claim to understand how young girls think.
Which is it, Flash? Make up your mind.:rolleyes:

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
twilight is the new fixation of vampires and werewolves, for a new generation. it's one of the reasons why people of all ages don't quite understand what it's really about. the plot is very teenage love story-ish, but it deviates from the norm and is nothing like the typical vampire stories that've been told over and over again. it's no buffy, it's no bram stoker's, it's no underworld, and it's no true blood. it's something totally different and in a class of its own. if you've read the books and you enjoyed them, then you know what i'm talking about :wink:

as for all the media hype... some people love twilight and others hate it. some people love the books but hated the movie. others don't even want to give it a chance. yes, the media makes it out to be bigger than it really is with robert pattinson's bushy hair and TMZ bashing kristen stewart's smoking habit. however, before the movies were even released, twilight wasn't even as mainstream as what it had become within the past year. the movies are what made the books larger than life.

and as for the books, they are always better than the movie of course. but that also doesn't mean i didn't get my presale tickets for nothing. all i'd like to say is, don't bash twilight until you've read all four books and the fifth unfinish draft and you understand the story in its entirety. meyer is a great author with a huge imagination and i can't wait to see what else she has in store.

D_Tilly_De_Toilet

Experimental Member
Media
Just got home from seeing it and it was exactly how I thought it would be. I was expecting to cry from laughing so hard and did more than once. I had also never been in a room with 200 screaming 13 year old girls, so that was interesting. Actually it was more like half of them were screaming and the rest were yelling at them to "shut the fuck up".

Conclusion: Terrible movie, I highly recommend you see it.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
Just got home from seeing it and it was exactly how I thought it would be. I was expecting to cry from laughing so hard and did more than once. I had also never been in a room with 200 screaming 13 year old girls, so that was interesting. Actually it was more like half of them were screaming and the rest were yelling at them to "shut the fuck up".

Conclusion: Terrible movie, I highly recommend you see it.

have you read the book? it wasn't that bad was it? :rolleyes:

i just saw the midnight showing and i loved it. in my opinon, new moon was better than twilight, and for the most part it stayed true to the book with the exception of a few minor details.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

i just saw the midnight showing and i loved it. in my opinon, new moon was better than twilight, and for the most part it stayed true to the book with the exception of a few minor details.

Wouldn't that suggest that he probably wont like the books if it didn't deviate from it all that much?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
all i'd like to say is, don't bash twilight until you've read all four books and the fifth unfinish draft and you understand the story in its entirety.
Then I would be a Meyer Scholar, which must be worth something.
But isn't it asking a bit much?
Not because of the time and effort involved (though that is worth pointing out), but because the parts of a whole must be able to stand on their own?
Each Godfather film, for example, told part of a larger story ... but each had to be a good movie in its own right.

Media
twilight is the new fixation of vampires and werewolves, for a new generation. it's one of the reasons why people of all ages don't quite understand what it's really about. the plot is very teenage love story-ish, but it deviates from the norm and is nothing like the typical vampire stories that've been told over and over again. it's no buffy, it's no bram stoker's, it's no underworld, and it's no true blood. it's something totally different and in a class of its own. if you've read the books and you enjoyed them, then you know what i'm talking about :wink:

as for all the media hype... some people love twilight and others hate it. some people love the books but hated the movie. others don't even want to give it a chance. yes, the media makes it out to be bigger than it really is with Robert pattinson's bushy hair and TMZ bashing kristen stewart's smoking habit. however, before the movies were even released, twilight wasn't even as mainstream as what it had become within the past year. the movies are what made the books larger than life.

and as for the books, they are always better than the movie of course. but that also doesn't mean i didn't get my presale tickets for nothing. all i'd like to say is, don't bash twilight until you've read all four books and the fifth unfinish draft and you understand the story in its entirety. meyer is a great author with a huge imagination and i can't wait to see what else she has in store.

While I have enjoyed reading everyone's POV regarding the Twilight phenomenon and I am inclined to agree to a certain extent. There are other aspects to this bru ha ha that have peaked my interest. I am less phased by the teenage girl hormone aspect, I am more impressed by the author.

The PR people and Hollywood machine have much ado about how Stephanie's work is promoted. It is, after all, a medium for making the big bucks. It always has been about high dollar entertainment. Aspects of which I find completely annoying and gross.

Stephenie Meyer graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in English literature. She is educated and she is for all intent purposes an American success story.

I would say, back away from the hype and look at where this woman is trying to make her mark as far as her work goes. I have all of the books, the last one in the series I personally consider the best. (and the most violent, because of the blood involved.)

I admire Stephenie for being so creative, in a sense making such a remarkable attempt at reinventing the romance/horror genre, which is ALIVE and well here in the US. Most importantly for using her education and skills to pay back what is probably now a zero balance on her college fees.

Who can fault her for that? The fault is with Hollywood's greed and avarice in making a buck and forcing those of us to gag in order to relieve the nauseating teen phenom-drama over their interpretation of Stephanie's work.

I would have loved to see Anne Rice meet with this kind of success with her vampire series.

I enjoy the lore, reading it and because it is an form of art that I admire and appreciate.

I refuse to be further affected by the hype. As for Robert Pattinson, to me his has a flat face and in 10 years will look like several miles of bad road. Taylor Launter is fine as hell. lol

Props to the casting director for this franchise, they have certainly hit the mark in my estimation.

You go Stephenie!

Last edited:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For real guys it just the second movie. Look at Friday the 13th or the Freddie movies, and were going on about 2 movies. I wasn't all thrilled about Twilight but I still want to see New Moon.

denton85

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Port Jefferson Station (New York, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
saw the twilight 2 movie last night... me and my girl and her friend were laughing ALOT. They like the books, but they agree that the movies are crap... i think we annoyed aot of the highschool girls watching it... i mean there was 3 times i couldn't stop laughing at the stupidity of it ...

i made a dad laugh hard when at one point (SPOILER but not really) u see 2 large wolves ( or werewolves ) fighting it out... right after the 10 second bad CGI fight was over, i said aloud " that was like a day at Mike Vicks house"

D_Tilly_De_Toilet

Experimental Member
Media

No, I haven't. But a friend (who genuinely loves the series) suggested I read the books after I saw the first one and was talking about "how good it was" (I guess she didn't catch the sarcasm or maybe she didn't care). I humored her and said they would go on my books-to-read list. Fortunately, that list is a mile long and I'll probably be dead before I get to that part of it haha.

I do think it was that bad. I suppose it just comes down to why you watch films and what you look for in them. So I find no real value in these kinds of movies (with the exception of being 'so bad they're good') just like I find no real value in Adam Lambert or Lady Gaga when it comes to music. Pop culture is 'meh' to me.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
Wouldn't that suggest that he probably wont like the books if it didn't deviate from it all that much?

yes and no. movies always leave out big parts of the books, which is why it's better to read the books so you can actually understand why things happen and the reasons behind it. there was a scene in the new moon book that i absolutely loved and i wish they would have included in the sequel but didn't. it would have explained everything to the T about the werewolves and how they became who they are. it's just sooo good :biggrin1:

Then I would be a Meyer Scholar, which must be worth something.
But isn't it asking a bit much?
Not because of the time and effort involved (though that is worth pointing out), but because the parts of a whole must be able to stand on their own?
Each Godfather film, for example, told part of a larger story ... but each had to be a good movie in its own right.

very true, i do agree. each book does tell a larger part of the story, therefore each movie has to be able to do the same. i just wish they didn't leave out so many of the important details! argghhhhh :tongue:

While I have enjoyed reading everyone's POV regarding the Twilight phenomenon and I am inclined to agree to a certain extent. There are other aspects to this bru ha ha that have peaked my interest. I am less phased by the teenage girl hormone aspect, I am more impressed by the author.

The PR people and Hollywood machine have much ado about how Stephanie's work is promoted. It is, after all, a medium for making the big bucks. It always has been about high dollar entertainment. Aspects of which I find completely annoying and gross.

Stephenie Meyer graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in English literature. She is educated and she is for all intent purposes an American success story.

I would say, back away from the hype and look at where this woman is trying to make her mark as far as her work goes. I have all of the books, the last one in the series I personally consider the best. (and the most violent, because of the blood involved.)

I admire Stephenie for being so creative, in a sense making such a remarkable attempt at reinventing the romance/horror genre, which is ALIVE and well here in the US. Most importantly for using her education and skills to pay back what is probably now a zero balance on her college fees.

Who can fault her for that? The fault is with Hollywood's greed and avarice in making a buck and forcing those of us to gag in order to relieve the nauseating teen phenom-drama over their interpretation of Stephanie's work.

I would have loved to see Anne Rice meet with this kind of success with her vampire series.

I enjoy the lore, reading it and because it is an form of art that I admire and appreciate.

I refuse to be further affected by the hype. As for Robert Pattinson, to me his has a flat face and in 10 years will look like several miles of bad road. Taylor Launter is fine as hell. lol

Props to the casting director for this franchise, they have certainly hit the mark in my estimation.

You go Stephenie!

i am sooo right there with you! except i'm crazy about robert pattinson. no to mention taylor lautner too. he is so hot. i swear he's going to turn me into a pedophile 'cause 17 yr. old boys DO NOT look that fucking delicious! :naughty:

No, I haven't. But a friend (who genuinely loves the series) suggested I read the books after I saw the first one and was talking about "how good it was" (I guess she didn't catch the sarcasm or maybe she didn't care). I humored her and said they would go on my books-to-read list. Fortunately, that list is a mile long and I'll probably be dead before I get to that part of it haha.

I do think it was that bad. I suppose it just comes down to why you watch films and what you look for in them. So I find no real value in these kinds of movies (with the exception of being 'so bad they're good') just like I find no real value in Adam Lambert or Lady Gaga when it comes to music. Pop culture is 'meh' to me.

honestly, read the books!!! you will understand the story so much better. most twilight fanatics will tell you that the way the characters are portrayed in the books are nothing like they imagined on-screen. i'm not saying i'm doubting any of the actors and their abilities to play out the roles. but there's lots and lots of little details that really give you "a-ha!" or "OMG" moments that the movie doesn't.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yes and no. movies always leave out big parts of the books, which is why it's better to read the books so you can actually understand why things happen and the reasons behind it.

that is not necessarily the case...it depends on how good the book is...

for example, JAWS.

one of the best movies ever made, but frankly, some of the book is cringeworthy...and much o the great dialogue in the film, like the Quint speech about the USS Indianapolis is not in the book...

on top of that, there is some absurdity...loke Ellen Brody has an affair with Hooper...

some of it very very silly.

mostly a book has potential.

it is rare that a truly great book is made into a great movie, because a great book has too much great content and a movie does not have enough space for it, IMO.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Any film adaptation that requires a comprehensive knowledge of the source material is a failure. If a movie can't stand on its own then it's just poorly done: period.

Books and cinema are very different ways of telling a story. The printed page nearly always wins because it relies on the imagination of the reader to flesh out all the little hidden details; this interaction creates a very intimate relationship that cannot be duplicated onscreen. And the director's/art director's/actor's vision of the hidden details rarely corresponds with that of any given reader's imagination, almost always to the detriment of the movie.

But that doesn't mean that most adaptations can't be enjoyed without all the back story. Such info should enhance and supplement the experience of seeing the film, not be a base requirement to comprehend it.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i think u guys might be overthinking this a little, this ain't citizen kane

it's vehicle to get some teen skin on screen and teen money at the box office.