This woman canNOT be serious...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by IntoxicatingToxin, Apr 29, 2007.

1. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

2. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer New Member

*Performs a myriad of calculations on the Bumpkins assertion in an attempt to validate or refute her claims.*

Nope Meg, the math stands up. She's a freakin' genius. GW was caused when I moved the little arm on my clock.

3. sdg475

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Real or not, that's priceless.

4. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    God, that's good. Thanks for posting.

5. Blocko

Blocko Member

It's hard to tell if she's clever and making a tongue in cheek approach, or she's really one of those "In the end times god said it would be HOT, how do you know it's not judgement day coming instead of Al Gore building a tomato farm?" types.

6. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

7. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I wasn't implying that people from the south are stupid. I use the term "southern bumpkins" to represent a certain group of people. And maybe "ignorant" would've been a better term. I know plenty of intelligent people from Arkansas. Wasn't trying to offend. :smile:

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I know, I was just playin'. And while it would be fun to think that she was being facetious, it's entirely possible that she thinks DST actually adds an additional hour of daylight. Of course, people that dense come from all over.

I used to work for Southwest Airlines. I would hate to have counted the number of people who asked me, in all seriousness, "Why does my flight take 3 hours going from Point A to Point B, and the return from Point B to Point A only takes one hour?" I usually responded something like, "Well, the fuel costs at Point A are much higher, so we use regular. The fuel costs at Point B are much cheaper, so we use the Super Unleaded, and that makes the plane go faster." Another of my favorite answers to that question was "You will be in a headwind starting out, and a tailwind returning. That makes the plane go faster for the return." About half of them believed me, and about half of them realized the time zone difference.

9. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

You mean we're not all as stupid as me? Damn.

10. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

LMAO! That would be a blast. I love people. :biggrin1:

11. dong20

Gold Member

In the same spirit as you I remember one cabin crew member explaining the different durations flying East to West v West to East as "going with or against the Earth's spin" so they were covering the ground faster in one direction.....

Be grateful you didn't have to explain flights crossing the dateline. Having done so more than once in each direction it still amuses me (on a caveman level) to have either a pseudo groundhog experience or, have a day effectively disappear without trace.....:smile:

12. lurkmode

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    it is tongue in cheek. saw it on another board last week. they left out the last paragraph where she explains herelf. I will try to dig it up...

13. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Actually, that is almost the real reason why... faster relative to the sun in one direction... and since the sun is how they determine what the time zones are...

I usually would break down and explain to the ones who didn't get it. "Your flight time, the time in the air, is actually pretty close to the same, about 2 hours; the difference is that all our departure and arrival times are local time. You lose two time zones, or hours, in one direction, and gain 2 time zones, or hours, the other direction."

14. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

It's easy to explain.

She's a blonde.

15. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    But DC, prevailing westerly winds in the upper atmosphere actually do tend to make eastbound flights shorter in duration than equivalent westbound return flights. This is true in both the northern and southern hemispheres.

16. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Yes - by minutes, though. Not by hours. That's why I explained that the actual flight time was pretty close to the same in both directions. Not exactly the same, but pretty close.

17. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Goodness that was quite funny.

18. dong20

Gold Member

Yes as you say above a certain altitude - about 11,000 metres, (in summer the tropics there can also be easterly streams) but the other explanations are way more amusing...:smile:

19. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

That's the one job I've ever had where we were actually encouraged to be playful if we were so inclined - so long as we fulfilled all other job requirements in the process... and trust me, there was a LONG list of requirements for each call we received, depending upon if it was a sales call or an information call. We were routinely and randomly monitered by our QA supervisor. That's why there is such a difference in the tone when you call SWA as opposed to any other airline. And before I could tease a customer like that (explaining the time differences, price differences, why no service to Denver) I had to very quickly determine how to respond to any given customer. If they were already grumpy, I went into "calm, soothing, all-business" mode. Ah, the stories I could tell about those calls!

Meg, thanks for posting that. Lurkmode, thanks for letting us know it was intended to be humorous. That's almost an Emily Litella sort of thing.

Never mind.

20. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Harumph.

I never try to deceive people who are genuinely after information, no matter how "dumb" the question may sound.

Many years in technical settings have demonstrated to me that this is a sure way to distinguish the engineers who started out as techs or draftsmen and were bumped up later in their careers, from those who went through the whole formal education routine. The trumped-up techs think that anybody who doesn't happen to know their own little bag of tricks must be brain-damaged, and the old juvenile "let's make fun of the handicapped" kicks in. Ho-ho, what idiots, they're fair game, lets have some fun, ho-ho. The real engineers realize that nobody who didn't go through the academic hellfire they themselves did can possibly know all that stuff, so they don't think that ignorant questions are necessarily dumb, and they try to provide decent answers while treating the questioners as human beings. The contrast between the two is really striking when witnessed. Maybe it's a Zen thing, but a serious technical education seems to filter out a lot of petty nastiness.

I once saw some aircraft A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) techs having "fun" with an apprentice, telling him to go get a bucket of "propwash" and crap like that. What a bunch of assholes. When a guy's in "learning" mode, don't waste it with stupid jokes.

Draft saved Draft deleted