Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I'm southern, ya cover your ass when you meet the parents.

This got me thinking, and talking with my fella. My mother has always hated dress-codes, my father never had much to say one way or the other. So for me, having anyone tell me what I should/shouldn't wear on my own time irks me somethin' fierce.

He has family members who are definitely conservative in this regard. He loves them, respects them.. but he wouldn't ask me to get a new bathing suit for them. If the roles were reversed, and he had swimwear that my family found to be a bit too revealing I don't think I could ask him to change.

For us, if our families were really that offended by a pair of butt-cheeks we'd just opt to not have gatherings which involve swimwear.

Having said that, neither of us has any swimwear which would be considered particularly revealing anyway. But if we did, neither of us would ask the other to change for our families. We both landed on: if our families can't accept the person we chose to bring into the family that's their problem. That may be because of the fact that we grew up knowing one another's family, immediate and extended. So I'm probably biased as fuck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 286798

Stu311

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
He has family members who are definitely conservative in this regard. He loves them, respects them.. but he wouldn't ask me to get a new bathing suit for them. If the roles were reversed, and he had swimwear that my family found to be a bit too revealing I don't think I could ask him to change.

Thank you, this is very insightful. My folk and her get along really well and they are generally nice people who try and be as accepting as possible and rarely make someone feel uncomfortable. However, once you are no longer in the same room as them, they do not shy away from passing judgement at something they feel is inappropriate. And if it concerns you or another family member, you get the luxury of hearing it to your face. I remember my Mum tut-tutting at my cousin for wearing mini skirts or giving my aunt some rather unfriendly looks for taking her top off at the beach. I imagine they will do the same this time, albeit hopefully they will have the decency not to say it to my face.

In any case, we’ve been together for a long time, and they should accept her for who she is. I know it’s a minor point, but I never told her how to dress and I almost always approve of her attire, including the thong, which I think is also the most flattering option for her body type (short legs, large bum), leaving aside the practicalities.

I will leave it at this. I doubt I will challenge my parents if they comment on it (how a thong could be acceptable as swimwear is probably beyond the realms of what they can accept re dress code), so I will try not to escalate things.

Thank you all for your replies!

Stu311

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Just an update on this. Have just returned from our short trip and everything was fine. Alex wore a thong all the time at the beach and felt comfortable in it. No comments from my family or odd looks, which was appreciated. My mum was in her usual one piece, but did compliment Alex on her looks, which was appreciated.

To my surprise I think the bare butts outnumbered the covered ones, especially in my girlfriend’s age group (20s-30s). I must admit I had not been to the beach for three years, so you could argue I had been living under a rock. That or I had not paid that much attention to it before. Are thongs the thing now?

Anyway, cheers everyone for their help!