Those Damn Grey Areas

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Freddie53, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Freddie53

Gold Member

Language is always a tough issue when it has to be determined if offensive, trollish etc. posts have been made.

First purpose for this thread is to give examples of first what will pass the ToS test. We all can have an opinion The mods have had a 5 -2 vote on an issue or 6-1 before. Sometimes it isn't crystal clear.

The second purpose is to give examples of what meets the expected decorum if you are considered a member of good standing. We won't all agree with each other.

Here are the expected rules:

1. Don't use real members as examples. That can get us off the thread topic in a heart beat.

2. Try to keep emotions out of it. State your position and then feel free to disagree with what the other person said, not with the other person.
    Agian that is a goal of mine for this thread.

My examples:
    OK:
    Fuck you Timmy, if you think you can seduce Tom before I do. LOL.:biggrin1:

or
    Not OK:
    Fuck you Timmy, you say you have a dick, but what you have is a slimmy cunt. You are a piss off bastard that should have been banned the day you joined.

I recommend the use of LOL and :biggrin1: and any other ways to show when it is teasing, joking etc We can't see your face or hear your voice to know that you don't really mean the words you say. A signal if possible would help all of us understand the real meaning of the post tremendously.

Your thoughts and comments:

No I am not going to ban Freddie53 because he used the words slimmy cunt.:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Sorry Freddie - but my immediate response is "Fuck this for a game of soldiers"

If this site is going to be actually policed like that then I am fucking right off.

If I am posting to a friend and I say Fuck you and YOU don't know that person is my friend and will understand the Fuck you on a different level then that is not my problem. I will not be putting a LOL (I FUCKING HATE LOL) after my Fuck yous to signal to the board at large when I am kidding.

And the 2 examples you give are two completely different circumstances:

That is NOT 2 different ways of saying the same thing.

Hopefully I am misunderstanding you and you mean something else. Please clarify.

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Slimmy is a bannable offense. :biggrin1: Slimy is not. :wink:

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

What about slimey? :rolleyes:

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that I know what precipitated this. And I agree with you, ManlyB.
    Oh yeah? Fuck you! First doggy style, then piggy style.

6. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Til I squeal, bitch!

7. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Borderline, needs a Mod vote.

8. simcha

Gold Member

Ugh! Here we go again.

More bizarre and meaningless moderator drivel. Again, something that is absolutely unclear for the membership to try to follow that is entirely up to a moderator's shakey judgment.

The examples given do not communicate the same thing. I have no clue what you're going on about and I'm sure most around here don't either. :dunno:

9. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

You make a good point. The language is fine. Its how the language is used that matters. Im all for freedom of speech and pushing the envelope as far as we can push it. However pushing the envelope too far can result (and has) in total misanthropy at times. A direct result of freedom of speech. So guidlines should be drawn to prevent us from going into those grey areas. A amendment to the ToS on conduct is a good idea.:smile: < This is a smile.

10. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    This thread seems hopelessly out of touch with reality. :confused:

Why doesn't RobE add a supremely useful device that my 4 year old daughter invented?

She calls it :

THE 'EMOTE CONTROL​

As in, "Daddy, where did you put you put the 'emote control?"

Available to license for a nominal fee to her college trust fund. :biggrin1:

#10 rawbone8, Jul 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  11. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Well, if this is heading in the direction I think it is, a few of the trolls will get their wish, and I'll be outta here.

12. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    The examples Freddy gave would be hilarious, if only they weren't so fucking pathetic.

Moderation is going to be even "dodgier" with those emoticons of immunity saving the asses of the rule benders, while making the honest brokers liable for banning.

Jesus Fucking Christ. :eek:

13. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Fuck off DC and Rawbone :dance: :rant: :no: :yup: :popworm:

14. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

You are so mean. You hurt my little feelers.:nono:

15. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Blow me, cunt.

Come out from behind the dancing fart and pop worm and fight like a wombed-man, you dickless wonder!

16. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Widdums! Go fuck yourself. :usa:

Care to 'hurt' my little 'feelers'? :fingersx:

17. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

DC--it's not like you to talk so vaguely.

I am in agreement with ManlyBanisters and DC on this one.

Freddie--I don't think this thread would be necessary if there was ever any explanation about why certain decisions are made or upon what reasoning they are reached. You know I have felt this way since we were both mods.

People on the site can't understand the rationale behind moderator action and that makes it hard to understand moderator thinking and reflect on your own behaviors as a poster.

#17 Lex, Jul 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  18. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    How about...just let people post. If someone offends someone, then let that person report it to a moderator for further investigation. Use the whole three strike method. UNLESS it's just one HUGE strike. :)

19. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

How about...

we blow this thread and just fuck the living hell out of one another?

POUNCE! SNIFF! LICK!

Whaddaysay?

20. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Back on topic, and all joking aside:

Freddie, you know I have a great deal of respect for you, but
    I'm guessing that these two may be goals of this thread, but are not actually the purpose of this thread.

Are we really at a spot where we have to meet standards of expected decorum to be considered members in good standing? And is the language used a better indicator than intent?

I've seen plenty of examples of people making good points, using language that some consider offensive; I've seen plenty of examples of blatant trolling that's got plenty of sugar-coating and no offensive language, but is still trolling nonetheless. I've seen members harass other members without ever using a single expletive.

Are we trying to codify a distinction between word choice, content, and semantics? Between connotation and denotation? Between appearance and intent?

I appreciate the difficulty of what you said in the OP, but what is the real purpose behind it?

Draft saved Draft deleted