Those Damn Grey Areas

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gee, thanks you two, just leave me out of the loop.

Lex, do you know anyone who has a nice selection of speedos (and recently got more) and a sling?

Never--I thought is was understood that ALL the action was happening in your dungeon? With you and your hubby calling all the shots?

WOOOOF!!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Discussions occur here which can get heated. People get on each other's nerves. Sometimes profanity is the only way we can express our frustration and I think it's healthy that that be allowed.

I'm terribly sorry if there are some who aren't able to cope with strong language, in fact I pity them. How do they cope in day to day life? Seriously?

The hypersensitivity is going off the charts lately in a variety of areas and I'm loath to cater those with such delicate sensibilities. This is an adult site and people should not come to it expecting pablum.
THANK YOU, Gillette. Over the last couple of weeks, I've caught a bit of flak for being such a meanie, and saying such awful things to some vapids and some trolls.

Imagine how many gizzards would be in a twist right now, if Dr Rock were still with us!

Why won't some of the people just FROAD?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
To the original post and not to the original poster.

First of all, this is the internet, good luck keeping that lily white.

Secondly, this is a sex site. Fucking is what we talk about.

This is not a professional environment where we should have to mind our P's &Q's constantly. Fuck that shit.

Discussions occur here which can get heated. People get on each other's nerves. Sometimes profanity is the only way we can express our frustration and I think it's healthy that that be allowed.

I'm terribly sorry if there are some who aren't able to cope with strong language, in fact I pity them. How do they cope in day to day life? Seriously?

The hypersensitivity is going off the charts lately in a variety of areas and I'm loath to cater those with such delicate sensibilities. This is an adult site and people should not come to it expecting pablum.

I'm glad to hear that. I was under the impression that you were more of the type that was in favor of more moderation.

P.S. (to everyone) Freddie is a great guy. and I'm sure his intention of this post has been blown out of proportion.

Last edited:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm lost. Where in the ToS does it say you can't be offensive? It IS possible to offend others with your point of view without intention or deliberately trolling. Yes, I know that's grey but sometimes no amount of cutesy emoticons or LOL's will get the point across. I can think of several posters who are deliberately offensive and use all of the above in their posts.

Count me in for the fleshpile though.

*pries lid off gallon of lube*

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm glad to hear that. I was under the impression that you were more of the type that was in favor of more moderation.

P.S. (to everyone) Freddie is a great guy. and I'm sure his intention of this post has been blown out of proportion.
"More moderation" is kind of vague. I've never known of Gillette to be one who says "don't you dare hurt anyone's feelings." She's always been very fair in her dealings with me, and I have ruffled a few feathers over the years.

Freddie's intention was pretty clear in his post, I think, and I don't see that being blown out of proportion. You're right, Freddie is a great guy. I doubt that this was some rogue act on his part. Don't shoot the messenger, as they say. It's obvious that this thread wasn't crafted with moderating team concensus (in other words, not unanimous), but it's equally obvious that it was crafted with some agreement among some of the mods. Perhaps most obvious is that the moderating team is asking our opinions on a divisive issue - in effect, the members moderating the moderators. Nothing wrong with that, and in some cases (arguably, this case) it's much better than an unexplained, unilateral decision.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Count me in for the fleshpile though.

*pries lid off gallon of lube*
Hey, you, that Jug-o-Lube ain't free. Keeping the dungeon stocked and maintained is a labor of love (and the wallet!) Our last order from Cheap Lubes dot com totalled about $187. We got a nice selection in copious amounts, though.

Next time you're here, I must introduce you to nude J-Lube wrestling!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Never--I thought is was understood that ALL the action was happening in your dungeon? With you and your hubby calling all the shots?

WOOOOF!!
Lex, I can't wait to see how long it takes for our stalker to use this as evidence against us!

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Back on topic, and all joking aside:

Freddie, you know I have a great deal of respect for you, but I'm guessing that these two may be goals of this thread, but are not actually the purpose of this thread.

Are we really at a spot where we have to meet standards of expected decorum to be considered members in good standing? And is the language used a better indicator than intent?

I've seen plenty of examples of people making good points, using language that some consider offensive; I've seen plenty of examples of blatant trolling that's got plenty of sugar-coating and no offensive language, but is still trolling nonetheless. I've seen members harass other members without ever using a single expletive.

Are we trying to codify a distinction between word choice, content, and semantics? Between connotation and denotation? Between appearance and intent?

I appreciate the difficulty of what you said in the OP, but what is the real purpose behind it?
I HAVE READ THIS FAR AND REALIZE THAT MY OPENING POST WAS TOTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD. I haven't read the rest of the thread yet and have no idea what the rest will say. BUG I APOLOGIZE for not making it clear what the thread was about.

I was speaking as a member, not a mod. And what I meant was to discuss what each of us THINKS is appropriate. Not what the moderators should do if there is a complaint about some post.

There is a VAST difference in what I would deem appropriate for ME to say myself and what I will tolerate from someone else. We all are different.

There are posts from people here with sentences that I would NEVER use myself, but I would NEVER suggest that it was offensive for them to write it.

Since we can't ignore the fact that I am a mod. I wil tell the board the judgment I use in judging whether a post breaks the ToS. It is sole on the intent and whether that intent breaks the ToS. Sometimes it is a judgment call. There is no way to deny that.

I did indicate that I was curious where you felt that line was. I screwed up in how I worded that, for that I apologize. I just wanted you the members to give a chance to state your opinion where you believed the line was when a person had indeed violated the Tos.

Those statements would of course be only how you feel.

I did hope that through this thread members might get a better understanding of when they have broken the ToS and when they haven't. That was a goal of mine.

I had no hidden agenda. I had to plans to make any changes in to the Tos or how the moderators interpret the ToS when making decisions concerning what to do if a member is accused of breaking the ToS.

I will admit that I hoped that through this thread, that might be a person that might avoid being banned just be reading the thread and being more informed. Again, that was a GOAL of mine. It is apparent that I failed.

I should have made it more clear that the thread came from Freddie the member, not Freddie the moderator.

Now I will return and read the rest of this thread. I have a feeling I am not going to be happy. But nowhere in the ToS is there a clause that says that Freddie has to be happy.

And, I don't think that Rob E will let me add that to the ToS.:biggrin1:

Again, I apologize that I didn't make it clear my intentions in the opening thread. Obviously what I meant to write is not what was understood by you who have read the thread.

Freddie

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
"More moderation" is kind of vague. I've never known of Gillette to be one who says "don't you dare hurt anyone's feelings." She's always been very fair in her dealings with me, and I have ruffled a few feathers over the years.

Freddie's intention was pretty clear in his post, I think, and I don't see that being blown out of proportion. You're right, Freddie is a great guy. I doubt that this was some rogue act on his part. Don't shoot the messenger, as they say. It's obvious that this thread wasn't crafted with moderating team concensus (in other words, not unanimous), but it's equally obvious that it was crafted with some agreement among some of the mods. Perhaps most obvious is that the moderating team is asking our opinions on a divisive issue - in effect, the members moderating the moderators. Nothing wrong with that, and in some cases (arguably, this case) it's much better than an unexplained, unilateral decision.
I hate to disappoint you, but this was not crafted by a group of mods. I put the thread together solely by myself. I did not "run" this by the mod team before I posted it.

Again, my point all of us understand where the line is when we have broken the ToS. I had no plans to make any alteration of the ToS. I did want to reduce those grey areas where so many don't know if they are on thin ice when they write something and when they aren't.

Who here doesn't want to know where the line is when they make a post. Would you want to play basket ball where only the referee knows where the out of bounds line is? I wouldn't.

Speaking to the LOLs and Icons. Those were suggestions that might help. Not a rule that you must follow.

I really don't give a high fucking leap what words you use. It is what you meant and to know that I have to go back to the beginning of the thread or the conversation between two people to know that; to see if one or both have violated the ToS.

I hope I don't get banned for revealing this information from the mod forum, if I do, well I love you all but here goes:

Do any of you have an idea of how many reported posts we get that we have to just laugh to each other and go on.

Examples of reports:

So and so used foul language in this posts.

The post had the work fuck in it. Never mind that several of the many of the mods including me have used that word ourselves, we are being asked by a member to take action against someone because they used the word fuck.

This is an adult site. It is the intent not the specific words that matters. Those words either violated the ToS or they didn't. Mods use our judgments in those situations.

This post has too many misspelled words and uses u for you and r for are. Can you stop this?

Not no, but hell no. As a member I can lambaste a person for posting something that can't be understood. As a mod, no. I am NOT every going to vote to give an official warning or a ban for such as this. It is a bit ridiculous. (Freddie's opinion)

These two are enough to let the members know that some people don't have a clue what we allow by law (the ToS) and what the majority of members consider to be appropriate.

Every site has a set of unofficial codes that most members follow and if you get outside of that, someone will post a comment on it. But this is NOT MOD moderating. It is SELF MODERATING by all the members where mods have no more say than anyone else. Certain behaviors will keep you in good standing with a majority of the members here. Some behaviors will make you almost an outcast. That is not a MOD PROBLEM and I certainly don't want that responsibility. That is a member's decision on how they want others to view them. The members form their opinions of the person by what they write. We don't have anything else except words to go by.

So if you tell a person to take their opinion and stick it up their ass, I would NOT vote to warn a person. First of all, I don't think putting your opinion up your ass is going to hurt. And.....It is a suggestion.

I would say though that if a member actually knew the address of a person and literally meant that they were going to drive to their house and literally stick a broom handle up their ass, it would be a hell of a lot more serious problem than just a mod team action, though I'm sure that kind of REAL thread would get a person banned in a heartbeat.

I don't know what else we could do. I hope to God we never have to face such a real life situation here at the LPSG. That sounds like a Rob E problem to decide what else to do if anything.

It would help all of us if we didn't have those grey areas. We can't get rid of all of them. It would be nice to reduce them them though.

If this treaad does just that, then it will have been worthwhile.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
All the language I use on this board and my phrasing and sayings are exactly how I use them in real life.
Some people just need some tough love and a big stick at time.

Can someone tell me since i wasnt here last July, does June/July usually make everyone get so.....INSANE....around here?

There have been a lot of multiple personalities, trolling and fucking horrible language gallore as of late and frankly its making me wonder how everyone across the planet can all be going loopy at the same time.

I'm feeling a little like we are doing the LPSG version of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

Absolutely. Summer at LPSG can be a trial what with kids out of school and lots of short-temper causing heat in most of the world.

You know you're in trouble when you have to rely on Australians to be the most reasonable people for three or four months.:wink:

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media

This is not a professional environment where we should have to mind our P's &Q's constantly. Fuck that shit.

DC You asked what what the real intent. This is definitely part of it.

Let me add this though. It is MY choice on whether to sue strong language or not. It is YOUR choice to decide how YOU view and form opinions about me. This is way beyond the scope of the moderators.

I realize I have made three posts here in a row, but I was off line for a while.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media

Now I will return and read the rest of this thread. I have a feeling I am not going to be happy. But nowhere in the ToS is there a clause that says that Freddie has to be happy.

But if you will invite me to visit the dungeon, that would make me VERY HAPPY.

Lex, don't wear yourself out, save "some" for me.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Blow me, cunt.

Come out from behind the dancing fart and pop worm and fight like a wombed-man, you dickless wonder!

:lmao:

Missed this earlier!! But careful rawb, I fight dirty... real dirty :cool:

I was speaking as a member, not a mod. And what I meant was to discuss what each of us THINKS is appropriate. Not what the moderators should do if there is a complaint about some post.

*snip*

Since we can't ignore the fact that I am a mod. I wil tell the board the judgment I use in judging whether a post breaks the ToS. It is sole on the intent and whether that intent breaks the ToS. Sometimes it is a judgment call. There is no way to deny that.

OK - fair enough - but cast an eye back over your OP and I think you'll see where the 'confusion' came from.

Language is always a tough issue when it has to be determined if offensive, trollish etc. posts have been made.

First purpose for this thread is to give examples of first what will pass the ToS test. We all can have an opinion The mods have had a 5 -2 vote on an issue or 6-1 before. Sometimes it isn't crystal clear.

The second purpose is to give examples of what meets the expected decorum if you are considered a member of good standing. We won't all agree with each other.

Here are the expected rules:

1. Don't use real members as examples. That can get us off the thread topic in a heart beat.

2. Try to keep emotions out of it. State your position and then feel free to disagree with what the other person said, not with the other person.
Agian that is a goal of mine for this thread.

*snip*

Your thoughts and comments:

No I am not going to ban Freddie53 because he used the words slimmy cunt.:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

You talk about a ToS test, you mention mod votes, you talk about 'expected decorum' and 'expected rules'. How are we supposed to interpret those things coming from a member of the moderating team?

Generally I treat all the mods/admins as members unless it seems very clear they are posting as mod (sometimes you guys put 'for the moderating team' in the post - that's helpful) - in this case your language suggested strongly that you were wearing your mod hat.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

My examples:
OK:
Fuck you Timmy, if you think you can seduce Tom before I do. LOL.:biggrin1:

or
Not OK:
Fuck you Timmy, you say you have a dick, but what you have is a slimmy cunt. You are a piss off bastard that should have been banned the day you joined.

I recommend the use of LOL and :biggrin1: and any other ways to show when it is teasing, joking etc We can't see your face or hear your voice to know that you don't really mean the words you say. A signal if possible would help all of us understand the real meaning of the post tremendously.

Your thoughts and comments: .....

Your second example is popular with the weak-minded as they have no-game in debate and vicious personal attacks are the only way they can win (in their minds anyway). :rolleyes:

Get rid of the dolts that play that game and I have an idea many more lurkers would join in on conversations here. :smile:

WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Goddamn it's hot when you talk like that...
*snaps out of it*
Oh yeah and I totally agree

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
How about...

we blow this thread and just fuck the living hell out of one another?

POUNCE! SNIFF! LICK!

Whaddaysay?

Me too! Fuck, I was waiting for some of us to take this thread hostage and rape it into a shaky mess. PLEASE someone do that to me now!

Wrestle for top? In singlets or speedos?

Get yer ass over here!

Gee, thanks you two, just leave me out of the loop.

Lex, do you know anyone who has a nice selection of speedos (and recently got more) and a sling?

Damnit! Now I'm feeling left out!!! :mad:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Damnit! Now I'm feeling left out!!! :mad:
You have room to talk. Santa Monica is just a hop, skip, and a jump down the road from you.

Now, howsabout you go to Santa Monica, kidnap OCMuscleJock, and being him out here to the East Coast, so Lex and I can have our way with both of you?