Those DVD's Obama gave British PM Brown

pym

Just Browsing
Media
Hey Flashy!:wavey:

Perhaps you could send your Cumshot compilations in the proper format to the British Prime Minister as a conciliatory act of contrition for this horrific faux paux on behalf of our country. Ya Know......it just might stave off an international incident.

Just sayin'
PYM:wink:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey Flashy!:wavey:

Perhaps you could send your Cumshot compilations in the proper format to the British Prime Minister as a conciliatory act of contrition for this horrific faux paux on behalf of our country. Ya Know......it just might stave off an international incident.

Just sayin'
PYM:wink:

i don't know if he'd enjoy them...apparently he is not very computer savvy.

:biggrin1:

still, you have to admit...someone gives you a beautiful almost pricelessly historically relevant gift and you give them DVD's that don't even work, is rather, um, shall we say...lame :wink:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I aint' admittin' NOTHIN'.

okay...tell you what...go buy me a first edition of "War and Peace" bound with 24 karat gold leaf, and i shall send you the entire 21 set edition of Flashy's Cumshot Compilations...without the Codecs... :wink::wink::wink::biggrin1:

pym

Just Browsing
Media
Don't worry too much.....i am certain Mr. Obama will have just over 7 and 3/4 years left to make it up to Mr.Brown for this 'International Incident'.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't worry too much.....i am certain Mr. Obama will have just over 7 and 3/4 years left to make it up to Mr.Brown for this 'International Incident'.

i don't think it is an international incident, pymster, i just think it is rather embarrassing and a tad insulting to a friend. It is not intentional, merely the result of some very poor planning

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of it. I laughed my ass off, but it's rather sad that a head of state is given such a POS gift. He's living in the White House now, give him something good, ANYTHING.

Especially considering he was given the most awesome gift ever. Gordon Brown is a class act. Maybe one day Americans will have culture too.

Seriously, Obama receives a pen made from the wood of a slave ship as a pretty amazing symbol of how we've advanced through history...and he gets a DVD box set in return? WTF hahaha.

I don't even want to open the "how many negative stereotypes of minorities did this confirm" can of worms here.

as a gift...don't work in the european region DVD players...nice going

Gordon Brown is frustrated by 'Psycho' in No 10 - Telegraph

be honest, Obama supporters...if this had been the Bush administration or some retarded republican right wing senator, you would be howling with laughter at the stupidity and incompetence.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of it. I laughed my ass off, but it's rather sad that a head of state is given such a POS gift. He's living in the White House now, give him something good, ANYTHING.

Especially considering he was given the most awesome gift ever. Gordon Brown is a class act. Maybe one day Americans will have culture too.

Seriously, Obama receives a pen made from the wood of a slave ship as a pretty amazing symbol of how we've advanced through history...and he gets a DVD box set in return? WTF hahaha.

I don't even want to open the "how many negative stereotypes of minorities did this confirm" can of worms here.

well, i don't think it had anything to do with american culture or negative stereotypes of minorities. I know plenty of minority people who give wonderful gifts, and i know plenty of americans who are extremely cultured...

i think this was more indicative of a total disconnect with "symbolic" importance, and clusterfuck in terms of a staff competently dealing with the apparatus and symbolism of head of state protocols.

there is nothing wrong with the symbolism of giving film which is our greatest cultural export...but if that is the case, maybe if we could have given something special like an antique film camera, that took the first moving pictures of a British Prime Minister visiting the US, that would be a very symbolic and wonderful gift...

i just think this was more of an incompetent clusterfuck than a deliberate insult.

pym

Just Browsing
Media

Thanks JIVIN'......!! I'm gonna add that one to my signature too! I can see why you and the "GUZ" see EYE to EYE.:wink:

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
Who is Guz? LOL and you don't think giving a DVD set to a visiting head of state reinforces any negative stereotypes?

pym

Just Browsing
Media
Who is Guz? LOL and you don't think giving a DVD set to a visiting head of state reinforces any negative stereotypes?

Your funny!:biggrin1:

So starinvestor like....the way you left off

"Of MINORITIES" at the end of that sentance.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I read about this a day or two ago and smiled. I bet someone in the protocol team has a red face (and maybe their pink slip?). :redface:

Last edited:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I thought that it showed Barack and Michelle's middle class roots. Middle class people aren't very full of etiquette. The Obama's don't descend from people who have lavish parties and haven't had any real "manners" training like the Bush children most likely did.

You grow up in high society and you are brought up to have the kind of savoir faire in social situations that is needed in positions like the president or an ambassador. The Obamas are just regular people and should be forgiven for being so obtuse during the gift exchange portion of the Brown visit to Washington.

pym

Just Browsing
Media
Let us not forget that before the wonderful DVD collection was given
Mr. Obama returned a special gift from Britain

Barack Obama sends bust of Winston Churchill on its way back to Britain - Telegraph

Aw......Come on PITTY,That article clearly states that the Churchhill bust was ON LOAN from Britain. He was just returning one hero for another,more to his personal and inspirational liking........Abraham Lincoln.
I'm calling a personal foul on this one and benching you for the rest of the quarter.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well maybe the Obamas don't have any manners training but Great Britain has just been insulted twice in a little over a month.

There is just plain manners also.
I am not from lavish party throwers either but we chose gifts with some thought and they were received graciously and not returned.
Many of us have the equivalent of the Churchill bust - put in storage and put on display when the giver came to visit - but never, never returned.

And maybe the Obamas don't understand these things but he needs to learn quickly that everything is subject to intense overscrutiny.
And where in the hell are all the State Department staff that is supposed to advise on these things? Unemployed like the Clinton travel office staff?

The dinning staff has enough sense to come to his aid if he had egg on his face literally.
The State Department did not come to his aid and may actually smeared the egg on his face with the DVD present.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Aw......Come on PITTY,That article clearly states that the Churchhill bust was ON LOAN from Britain. He was just returning one hero for another,more to his personal and inspirational liking........Abraham Lincoln.
I'm calling a personal foul on this one and benching you for the rest of the quarter.
Display of lack of tact when returning it.

And sorry Pym - you are neither referee or inspirational coach.
I'm still in the game

pym

Just Browsing
Media
Display of lack of tact when returning it.

And sorry Pym - you are neither referee or inspirational coach.
I'm still in the game

I saw NOTHING in that BRITISH article that displayed a "LACK OF TACT".
If you can show me a copy of a State Dept. letter regarding the return of that bust, that showed a lack of TACT or rudeness........Then i will stand corrected.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
as a gift...don't work in the european region DVD players...nice going
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...n-Brown-is-frustrated-by-Psycho-in-No-10.html
be honest, Obama supporters...if this had been the Bush administration or some retarded republican right wing senator, you would be howling with laughter at the stupidity and incompetence.

No. I would be sympathetic as it's a problem that not everyone on both sides of the Atlantic knows of. I had the same experience when a UK friend gave me a gift of a Batman VHS tape in 1990. The tape was still of use though as I could record on it.