Those Windows keys...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: I repaired a keyboard this morning, and while putting the keys back in, I had to stop and check the placement of those Windows menu keys on the front row.

I never ever use them myself, and I never hear people refer to them in instructions or documentation, and I started wondering if they're the colossal failure I think they might be...

So, I'm asking -- do any of you use those keys on a regular basis?

2. jay_too

jay_too New Member

nah...they just screw me up like when i am typing and suddenly find the cursor is not on the screen and what i have been typing for 5 minutes is not either.

a cool keyboard would not have them.

jay

3. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: The 'start menu' button is incredibly useful if you've had a program (usually a game) crash in full-screen mode. It usually brings up the start menu and desktop even when <alt> <enter> and <alt><tab> don't work.

The quickmenu buttons aren't so useful though - maybe if you're cheap and using a Mac mouse???

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I think they long ago outlived their usefulness, which apparently was only to further advertise MS to its users.

The buttons now tend only to irritate when accidentally pushed.

Pecker

I got kicked out of ballet class because I pulled a groin muscle. It wasn't mine.

5. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: ha ha
    this reminds me of when Paul was helping me with my avatar and such...
    i dont have blonde roots, but if it plugs in i cant use it , uh er somethun like that....
    anyway.
    you mean this row on top of the keyboard that has these buttons with the shopping cart, the "Q" the music note and such? those thingies?
    i have NO idea what they even are. ???

i do use a button on the top with a half moon on it to put my box to sleep at night? that row?
    well you know me, technical thingies..... clueless...

Tender

6. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: Heh. I don't use those either (though the keyboard I use now doesn't have those keys on them.)

I was thinking of the ones on the front row of PC keyboards -- between 'alt' and 'ctrl' that have completely unhelpful pictures on them.

longtimelurker: I've always used ctrl-alt-del in that case to bring up the task manager; if I ever run into that scenario again, though, I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

7. Imported

Gold Member

ORCABOMBER: I use the windows key to do win-u-enter to shut down windows...and that's it! Even then, if it isn't there, I'll ctrl-escape. I tend to use shortcut keys a lot, but it's annoying when game playing and you're being creamed because the stupid "right click" button is being pressed! You can't even use it in games like "insert, home etc."

8. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: I tend to use Windows - E to open Explorer....

Although...showing my age and Apple IIe expertise...I call it OpenApple-E. :D

9. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: [quote author=7x6+C link=board=99;num=1069629798;start=0#7 date=11/28/03 at 18:39:00]I tend to use Windows - E to open Explorer....

Although...showing my age and Apple IIe expertise...I call it OpenApple-E.   :D[/quote]

Now if there is one thing that I really detest about macs it's the apple key! Why did they place it where <ctrl> is normally? I always use shortcuts, and I hate it when I select a load of text to italicise (or whatever), press <ctrl-i> and all my lovely text is replaced by a little box!

Just thank God for undo!

Draft saved Draft deleted