Thoughts by any baseball fans on Barry Bonds/

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Wyldgusechaz, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

He is sure to break Henry Aaron's homerun record. He has never been found guilty of anything but there is that stigma of steroids.

2. agnslz

Gold Member

I don't care if he's done steroids or not. He's a creep, and that's my reason for not liking him or giving a damn (other than lamenting that he's the one that's going to do it) that he's about to break Hank Aaron's record.

3. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer New Member

I think Bond's biggest hurdle is beyond the steroid scandal and more about the contentious relationship he's had with media and fans for close to 20 years. He's a great athlete, worthy of accolades when he hits the milestone, but he certainly hasn't captured the hearts of sports fans at a level that's harmonious with breaking one of sports most treasured records.

I'm not a big enough ball fan to have strong feelings either way, but it's certainly easy to appreciate both sides of the story.

4. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Its all about Barry and his steroid enhanced ego.

5. earllogjam

Gold Member

SAT ANALOGY SECTION

Barry Bonds is to Hero

as

a. Millie Vanilli is to Music
    b. Bill O'Reilly is to Soapy Loofa Thingy
    c. Beauty Contest is to Plastic Surgery
    d. Saccharine is to Sugar

6. dukey

dukey New Member

Barry Bonds is a talented athlete. The only reason he's getting any grief at all about his success is because he's black. White Americans have been trying to reclaim the home run record since Hank Aaron broke it.

In fact when Hank Aaron was about to break Babe Ruth's record he was constantly receiving death threats! Combining Bonds's camera-shyness, the media's need for a story, and the racist over-tones, it's the next best thing to hitching him up to a pick-up and taking him for a ride.

I'm not trying to make this more than it is. I just wonder whether Mark McGuire would be given the same treatment. Don't think so. The media was quick to point out that Mark McGuire did Andro (which is still a steroid, albeit legal in a few states. Incidentally it's fully controlled in Canada). Bonds very likely took the same thing, but for a black man, it's steroids!

Who cares? I'm a Red Sox fan.

Go Bonds Go!

7. Shelby

Gold Member

No shit!

It's the same with Ichiro. If it wasn't for all the bigotted anglo's he'd probably be popular. Jeter and Arod are lucky they're only half black or everyone would hate them too.

8. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    well actually i have been thinking about how I would love to sniff his asshole..

9. earllogjam

Gold Member

Pleeeze, don't be bringing in the race card here when Tony Gwynn just got inducted into the Hall of Fame. Sorry, I just don't buy it anymore. I don't judge baseball players by the color of their skin. What team would? That would just be a recipe for loosing season.

No, Barry Bonds is getting grief because he is a genuine overblown ego who has never come clean about his alleged steroid use - not because he is black. People are really getting sick of him in SF. The primadonna has been boo-ed more than once. Not one of my favorites.

10. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

Best outfield sign I saw

Aaron did it with hot dogs, cracker jacks and CLASS, Bonds did it with winstrol, Deca, HGH and rudeness

For what it is worth I know Mark Mcguire and he is a disgrace to his uniform. No one respects him at all. White or black.

11. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

this ranks up there as one of the more stupid posts i have ever read on here.

the black argurment is bull in my opinion, in this instance. mark mcguire was given a similar lashing because he shot up.

frank robinson, eddie murray and a countless nunber of others have been loved by their fans. bonds seems like an asshole, at least every time i have seen him, and is roided up. i guess if babe ruth and aaron did this stuff, the argument would not exist.

am not a fan of his. go orioles. (an unhot team for alot of years)

12. dukey

dukey New Member

Wow! Those flames are hot.

There's only one reason why the "race-card" (a disparaging word in itself) would be tired: because is happens so often. Let's think for a moment why said card would be used so often: because racism happens often.

The other players you all mentioned aren't receiving the same treatment because they're not close to beating the home run record.

This is only my opinion based on my limited and feeble understanding. You're free to disagree, but let's not get personal.

dukey

13. Matthew

Gold Member

I have mixed feelings about it all. First, I think Bonds' accomplishment is remarkable, hopped up or not. Whatever he used wasn't magic home run pills, after all. We'll never know exactly what effect the drugs did or didn't have on his numbers.

On the other hand, there's no question that when he breaks the record, there will always be an "asterisk" next to it in people's minds, whether anybody likes it or not. Having your image/career tarnished, fairly or unfairly, is a consequence for any pro athlete who doesn't play it squeaky clean.

Dukey, go ahead and call it like you see it.

14. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Absurd. Obviously, that's not the only possible reason.

Even if it never happened, there'd be no shortage of people who would find it advantageous to claim that it does. The claim itself, tired or otherwise, is not proof, or even evidence.

15. dukey

dukey New Member

I agree that there are those who often cry wolf. For example, did anyone even bat an eye when Michael Jackson and Al Sharpton went on a media rampage claiming that Sony wasn't promoting MJ because he's black? But there are legitimate cases that can't be denied.

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. This isn't a blatant as Tiger Woods's experiences when he first joined the tour. But there seems to be a bit of a roasting done to Barry Bonds.

One other explanation is that he doesn't like talking to the media. When that happens, Americans get upset and think that there's something to hide. The fact is, is that people's lively hoods depend on reporting newsworthy stories in sports. When these folks can't get an interview with the man who's the biggest story in baseball since Hammerin' Hank, there's a major connudrum. Editors are calling for a story, but they have no sound bites. What do they do? They report on what they don't know.

Given the large scale scandal that Jose Conseco's book caused, there's no way that Bonds would be allowed to continue playing MLB when he's so close to breaking the record.

Sorry if you all were offended when I suggested Barry was getting this grief because he's black. A buddy of mine and I had a conversation about it earlier. I guess he's more convincing than I am.

Maybe it's my stutter, lol.

dukey

16. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

it was not meant as a flame. but the race issue is not an issue in this case. don't make it one when it does not exist. bonds is roided, therefore his breaking the hr record is jaded.

aaron is very respected. as are many other black athletes. there are alot of white ones that i would not give a squirt of piss for. think most feel the same.

17. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    It seems to me that perhaps Dukey's point is that a combination of race and not sucking up to the media are feuling the intense negative focus on Bonds. Lots of athletes have used steroids but people seem to get really hot about this case. Further, the team owners were willing to turn a blind eye before there was a "scandal" and when they were profiting by records being set. It seems to me that Barry Bonds may be being offered up in lieu of dealing with the bigger picture.

18. transformer_99

Gold Member

I have no issue with him breaking the record. So what, he took steroids, the longevity of his career, he also broke most HR's in a single season. That's pretty remarkable even on steroids and knowing pitchers pitch around him so much that he holds the record for most walks. When you think about that, it's a wonder he's close enough to break any records for HR's ?

19. avalonlovelove

avalonlovelove New Member

:mad: His ego is too big someone needs to pop that asses bighead!:censored:

20. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

am not real fond of jose conseco either.

serious, i just don't think race is an issue here. this stuff gets left out when it comes to baseball. my next door neighbors growing up could hardly be considered fans of the naacp, but remember the wife in the family telling me once her favorite oriole player was paul blair. center fielder for a number of years here. awesome player and nice guy.

barry is getting bitched at for druggin up to be better, not cuz he is african american. if he does not want to talk to the media, that is his choice. don't have a prob with it. but he DOES come off as being an asshole so it's not helping his cause.

this is the reverse of the same BS that happened with the duke lacrosse players that were accused of rape. "they thought they could do this because they are rich white kids". i hope to hell we can get away from this race shit one day. probably not in my lifetime though.

Draft saved Draft deleted