Thoughts on being gay.

I hope those who read this will benefit from at least some of it. I have been a freelance writer for years, published less in recent years because I have not sought out any specific venue. I believe "we are who we are by design", and that no one should ever be offended, disgrace or degraded for being homosexual.

Now some fifty years after coming out with my first partner, it challenges me at times to witness the degree of gay-hate that still exists in our country. Long ago I came to the conclusion that being gay or lesbian is as natural to the gay or lesbian as being straight is natural to the straight person. Then, of course, there are the bisexuals who most often are vilified by both sides for not choosing which side they want to be on. Hey! Bisexuals get to taste all the candy in the store. God bless ‘em!
Coming out in the late 1960s with my first partner meant seeking out our own kind. Laws were still on the books that allowed police to arrest gay men in bars if we sat too close, were caught touching one another or displayed any sign of intimacy or affection. I recall when the laws were relaxed sometime around 1970, allowing gay men to dance. Wow! That was a major threshold.
The very ideas of marriage, civil unions and adoption were not even on our lips at that time. We kept close quarters, allowing only those we fully trusted into our secret society. We walked within two worlds, substituting “she” for “he”, referring to our partners as family (cousins, adopted brother, whatever) to keep our secret life safe. In the private business sector where I have spent the last four decades of my life (shortly after a four-year Military stint where I received three written commendations), I was extremely careful because I was building a career. The field I chose to make my life’s work was and still is in many ways homophobic and heterosexist.
Certain Christian groups continue to raise homosexuality as the “ultimate sin”, while foregoing all the other “ultimate sins” scripted throughout the Holy Bible. Last night I watched the HBO program “Real Time with Bill Maher”, my regular Friday night treat. Kirk Douglas, now 95 (God bless him!) was Maher’s guest. At one point during the dialog, Douglas commented on how destructive religion is. As an ordained Priest, I sadly must agree. Jews, Christians and Islamists have committed horrible sins against one another, often because of one’s sexual orientation.
What is it that makes people so angry about gay sex? Seriously, I do not know. In the Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 19 while speaking to His disciples, Jesus says “not all men are called to marry.” He also comments about those “who shall be born from their mothers’ wombs as eunuchs.” When those words were spoken, the only acceptable sex with a woman was through marriage (in Hebrew culture; the Romans were out doing their own thing, so to speak.) Jesus did not then stipulate that unmarried men must remain chaste or celibate. As for Jesus’ reference to eunuchs, eunuchs are not born. They are a creation of man. A powerful pamphlet was written 35 years ago by Reverend Bauman, Senior Rector of Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington, DC. Bauman, a heterosexual, wrote “Reflections on the Gay Life”, positing that Jesus’ reference to eunuchs from the womb reflected Jesus’ awareness of homosexuality.
While there continues to be great, positive understanding about gays and lesbians in some of the Christian denominations (I am Episcopalian, “open and affirming”), Southern Baptists and similar fundamentalist sects use Holy Scripture to further their intolerance, ignorance and hatred of gays and lesbians.
I commented to the Priest who ordained me, “If I loved women as much as I love men, I’d have spawned children across the globe!” He laughed hysterically. Yet, it took a long time for me to accept myself as gay even when with my first partner, Chuck. (We were together for eight years; remaining close and good friends until his untimely death in 1996.) I had had sex with a couple women in college, but it seemed all too mechanical. When Chuck and I had sex, it was explosive, powerful, “bells and lights going on everywhere”. I had come into my natural sexual state.
As I survey our contemporary world, now 40+ years later, I am saddened by the persistent negative energy directed at gays and lesbians. True, in some states gays and lesbians can marry and adopt. In some states, one cannot be fired for being gay. (I was driven out of a number three position years ago when the president / owner of that company discovered through the grapevine I am gay.) Some young gays express to me the same fears and anxieties I felt forty years ago! This is progress?
I will never deny the sheer thrill that runs though my body when I see the well developed body of a handsome man. I started liking to look at “man butts” at a very young age. Years later I would learn what those sensations were all about. Of course a man’s endowment is equally tantalizing, but a fine male ass is beauty to behold. And despite what some may claim, the ass and its inner valley are highly erogenous areas of the male body. That’s why gay men, bisexual men and even some straight men enjoy giving over that part of their body to total sexual pleasure.
I would have hoped that by now all the negativity lobbed toward gays and lesbians would have subsided fully. It has not. The President’s repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell was a huge step forward. (I was not out while serving our nation.) What so amused me about that topic is how some of the fiercest warriors in history were homosexual or bisexual. And, many Biblical scholars claim the Hebrew Bible story about David and Jonathan is indeed a love story.
So, why all this fuss? Is it really about morality; or some deeply rooted nature in the gay haters that prevents them from evolving? If being gay is so unnatural, why is gayness found in every culture, religion, nationality, ethnicity and family? Of course, I realize my argument will fall silent upon the ears of those who simply believe being gay or lesbian is wrong.
I recall a woman asking me at a dinner party, “How can you be ‘a Man of God’ and also be gay? How do you know you are not defying God?” I replied, “Because I find no wrongness in my gayness. And how do YOU know you are not defying God by being straight, perhaps only to satisfy those around you?” No answer.
Sexual orientation is a very complex set of psycho-physical emotional neurons that travel through our bodies non-stop. How we are “wired” determines how we will enjoy sex. I have four basic rules on sex, which appear to be the most common set of rules: 1) no rape; 2) no incest; 3) no children; and, 4) no animals. As each of us celebrates our own sexuality, whatever that may be and with however many there may be; we should do it with the fullest expression of our sexual self. Guilt and anxiety should be absent. You, I along with the rest of gay culture have absolutely nothing to apologize for; or to feel shame about. Who knows, gays very easily may be “God’s other Angels”, for we bring a very different sexual landscape to the world of sex. Sex is powerful and provocative, the most sensational of our human experiences.
My sexual journey and evolving into my sexual identity have been a pleasant and joyful one. Like most gay men, old or young, the journey is not an easy one. We are faced with the constant struggle of identifying who we are, how to “protect” ourselves from the hostility of the world around us. The deeper struggle comes from knowing who we are and “what” we are sexually, and accepting our homosexual identity.
As I mentioned earlier, my awareness of the male body and the way it excited me at a very young age. That aspect of who I am was profound. I felt no guilt. I did not understand it entirely when I was not sexually mature. Yet, the sight of a well-built man with muscular, defined buttocks sent chills through me and offered unexplained excitement.

Who and what we are as a sexualized species is determined in the womb. Not all men or women are conceived and created to reproduce. It would be/will be splendid when and if the day comes when we are not “type cast” as to our sexual orientation.

I fully realized I was gay later than some people, was in my 20s. I was in denial for so long largely due to my environment and religious upbringing. I kept thinking if I just met the right woman it would go away.

I lost my virginity to a female at 24 and it wasn't a bad experience but not quite what I hoped for. We dated for a few months after that and decided to part ways. It was at that moment I went to see a therapist and had a couple of meeting with my then pastor. Both were very supportive in ways that I was a little surprised at. My pastor and I met 3 or 4 times and discussed it. He admitted gay relationships were sinful behavior to him but that all Christians are sinners. He didn't say anything to discourage me. I began to realize it was possible to be Christian, gay, and not be promiscuous.

My first time with a guy was a 26 and it was a one night stand, he said he would call later and never did but it confirmed what I had realized, that I wanted a male companion. It was only a few months later that I got a job opportunity in Atlanta and left Memphis. Atlanta isn't NYC or SF but it is the unofficial gay central of the south, plus it's closer to my childhood home. It's not the easiest city to get plugged in, a lot of the gay guys I've met tend to be pretty cliquish and it seems like everyone knows the same people. I do have some good gay friends and feel no shame at all about being gay, I've only had one person react negatively and while my family didn't jump for joy at the news I know they love me and didn't say anything too harsh about it.

Despite it being 2019 I know there is still a pretty big stigma associated with homosexual behavior but I believe it's fading. Even in my deep south Alabama hometown I know of a guy who grew up in the same church I attended as a child and he now lives in Atlanta and shared with me once we connected via social media that he was out and proud to all his old friends and nothing changed. He's only 25 so it gives me hope that in another ten years some of the old battles will seem silly.

Reactions: Celtic_Priest

I fully realized I was gay later than some people, was in my 20s. I was in denial for so long largely due to my environment and religious upbringing. I kept thinking if I just met the right woman it would go away.

I lost my virginity to a female at 24 and it wasn't a bad experience but not quite what I hoped for. We dated for a few months after that and decided to part ways. It was at that moment I went to see a therapist and had a couple of meeting with my then pastor. Both were very supportive in ways that I was a little surprised at. My pastor and I met 3 or 4 times and discussed it. He admitted gay relationships were sinful behavior to him but that all Christians are sinners. He didn't say anything to discourage me. I began to realize it was possible to be Christian, gay, and not be promiscuous.

My first time with a guy was a 26 and it was a one night stand, he said he would call later and never did but it confirmed what I had realized, that I wanted a male companion. It was only a few months later that I got a job opportunity in Atlanta and left Memphis. Atlanta isn't NYC or SF but it is the unofficial gay central of the south, plus it's closer to my childhood home. It's not the easiest city to get plugged in, a lot of the gay guys I've met tend to be pretty cliquish and it seems like everyone knows the same people. I do have some good gay friends and feel no shame at all about being gay, I've only had one person react negatively and while my family didn't jump for joy at the news I know they love me and didn't say anything too harsh about it.

Despite it being 2019 I know there is still a pretty big stigma associated with homosexual behavior but I believe it's fading. Even in my deep south Alabama hometown I know of a guy who grew up in the same church I attended as a child and he now lives in Atlanta and shared with me once we connected via social media that he was out and proud to all his old friends and nothing changed. He's only 25 so it gives me hope that in another ten years some of the old battles will seem silly.

Thank you for sharing! Some day, I hope and pray, none of this will be important. I did have sex with a couple women while in undergrad. It did nothing really, except get me off. My first sex with a man, real sex, sent me over the top. If or when sex is purely mechanical, that is all it is: Mechanical sex. Being honest with oneself and embracing what we are is the first, right step forward. I have had friends who got married and had kids, all the while knowing they were in fact homosexual. The damage done to those families was pretty severe.

Thank you Celtic Priest.
I knew at a very young age that I was somehow "different" from my friends but didn't understand what that meant for many years. And once I knew it took years for me to accept that I am gay.

You are welcome! Congrats on accepting your sexual self. It is sad how we are "bullied" into denying our sexual reality. I was fortunate in that my family never degraded or negated me, even though they "understood". We just never talked about it. My challenge was to accept who I am as a sexual being without feeling compelled to following the socially imposed binary script.

Reactions: deleted1048037

hvdude

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I love being gay. I think it the natural order of things outside of procreation. Personally I believe that, as all animals in nature, we should mate with those we are attracted to. If one person is attracted to another they should mate. A coupling doesn't need to mean long term commitment but the simple sharing of ones DNA with another. In humans it also means exploring another person's body with all the senses: tasting them, touching them, feeling them, smelling and hearing them. And they you, no matter male or female.

I am solely attracted to men. I love the way they feel, taste, etc. and I love sharing myself with another man. The post-coital period where we hold each other in our arms after sharing that most intimate part of ourselves and protecting and nuturing each other is unequalled.

I love being gay. I think it the natural order of things outside of procreation. Personally I believe that, as all animals in nature, we should mate with those we are attracted to. If one person is attracted to another they should mate. A coupling doesn't need to mean long term commitment but the simple sharing of ones DNA with another. In humans it also means exploring another person's body with all the senses: tasting them, touching them, feeling them, smelling and hearing them. And they you, no matter male or female.

I am solely attracted to men. I love the way they feel, taste, etc. and I love sharing myself with another man. The post-coital period where we hold each other in our arms after sharing that most intimate part of ourselves and protecting and nuturing each other is unequalled.

I agree! Good points.

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thank you Celtic Priest.
I knew at a very young age that I was somehow "different" from my friends but didn't understand what that meant for many years. And once I knew it took years for me to accept that I am gay.

I knew I was gay very early on. No doubt about it, and I knew from very early on it was not acceptable socially. I just instinctively stayed low key, was very careful about selecting hook ups and passing as straight. Mentally though, I made peace with it. I look back and I see myself in a situation like that of the young man who was caught masturbating by parent who warned him that he could go blind for doing "that." "Not to worry, Dad, I'm just going to do it until I need glasses."

When I began researching my same sex attraction the only material in the public library was a book on sexuality written by a priest. In hindsight he was probably really experienced given the nature of the priesthood. However his comments on what happened to gay people who are sexually active even in their mind was pretty dire. And as I rolled that around in my head, sitting in the public library I decided, hell, I was going to go "all in." If the sin of same sex desire was in and of itself condemning then I figured my soul was already gone so to speak so I was going to follow temptation where ever it led me. It led me to a lot of great sex in some amazingly seedy, risky venues - but it was a great trip! I regret nothing.

I was haunted during the AIDS crisis, which started out as the GRID crisis. I was sure I had to be infected. To this day it is amazing that I was not. The number of funerals was staggering. The losses huge and constant - so much talent wiped out, so little concern from political leaders, God bless the ACT UP movement. It probably saved us all in the end.

I'm at a point where can see the scoreboard of a life fully lived. I would like a couple do overs, but still I regret nothing at all about being gay and the choices I made with the opportunities I had. Others have not fared as well, but I never felt I wanted to change or be on a different path.

I was able to play the hand I was dealt, being gay has been a blessing. It pains me to meet others who were unable to find the blessings I did.

Brodie888

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I thank God every day for making me gay. Men are simple creatures with simple needs. No instruction manual required. Simply plug and play.

The only reason why gays have been cast as unnatural is because of the political influence of religion on society. I believe it is because religions wanted every functional penis and uterus to produce as many little Catholics, Mormons, Jews etc as possible.

If there is such thing as an all knowing God who created man, why would he put my prostate where it is if he didn't intend for me to be poking it from inside my ass?

Reactions: Celtic_Priest

bravesoldier

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gay does indeed feel identical as straight does to the straight, only with the same sex. So does gay love and tenderness. Hate crimes shouldn't exist, no one asks to be born gay and contrary to what some believe we are born gay. Yes a choice is made at the age of accountability (depending on one's religious beliefs) to continue life as gay. Many I think don't get it when it comes to this choice. Those who aren't gay might say they just should make the right choice for their life path. I did make the "right" choice initially, I married and have a family. Stopping being gay is as hard to do as to stop eating or breathing. Sexuality and sexual need is the one thing in life that either straight or gay struggles with most and it always will be. Still, it is what it is in God's eyes. We weren't originally designed as such, but at the fall of man it happened, just like all of the other sins that entered mankind at that time.

One reason I believe so many people are violent haters of gays is because some of those people are probably latent homosexuals themselves who are deathly afraid one day the may want to cross the line. I believe I know a person in my town that holds that fear every day. I have known him and his family for years and they are good people. The guy himself has a gay son and the guy I'm speaking of has some gay characteristics himself. He may not be gay, but I sincerely feel he is. Point is, for the 30 years I have known this guy he has always treated me like a terminal disease, never even so much as to raise his eyes to say hello. I can see the fear in his eyes that he's afraid he might embrace it one day.

My two penneth worth.

tito21

Superior Member
Media
I am gay, But i truthfully hate been it, I wish i was straight to be fair.

I understand what you’re saying, it’s a lot easier to be str8 than gay in this world, but we can’t choose our own sexual orientation. We could try to suppress it and try to be str8. In the end, you’ll only be fooling yourself and hindering your own happiness.

It’s a lot harder to find a good life partner in the gay world compared to the str8 counter part. But then again, whether you’re str8, bi or gay. Happiness in a relationship isn’t guaranteed! Like everything in life, it’s all about luck, being in the right place, meeting the right people and making the most with what we currently have.

I hope some day you’ll find the man of your dream who will make you happy. I’m not talking about some fantasy of a knight in shiny armour who will sweep you off you feet. I’m talking about a guy who’ll understand and share your struggles and appreciate you for who you are as a person. Someone who will stand by your side and walk with you in life until the end of your or his time.

Reactions: capnewt and OKCLane

I am gay, But i truthfully hate been it, I wish i was straight to be fair.
That's a shame. Despite some disadvantages, in myself I have always been happy to be gay, I don’t care if it's a choice or innate, it's something I want to be. What makes you hate being gay?

Reactions: Voltaire

EdWoody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No offence intended, but all of the OP's hard-won understanding is all just stuff to which I'm like, "Well... yeah, obviously." I would say it took me no time at all to come to the acceptance and equanimity so many others struggle for. I know my experience is far from universal, but I've always known there was nothing wrong with being gay.

I grew up in a very non-religious environment. We were raised nominally Protestant, but only just barely in terms of cultural milestones, dragged kicking and screaming to church at Christmas and Easter only, and even that died off soon enough. Plus I tend towards a slightly Asperger's-ish take on the world, and very rarely accept anything for which I have not personally seen unquestionable evidence. So, aside from its unavoidable influence on the society-at-large in which I live, religion has had next to no effect on my life.

Likewise, my family didn't really talk about sex - not because it was evil but just because it was all a bit too embarrassing for polite conversation. That left me to come to my own conclusions about being gay. First I realised I liked looking at boys. Then I realised there was a word for that. Then I put the two things together, shrugged, and got on with it. I didn't come out until 18, but only because I knew that life in an all-boys school was not the ideal environment for a 1980s homosexual.

Accordingly, anyone who tries to tell me I'm a sinner because I'm gay gets dismissed out of hand, and I carry on with my life. I know there's nothing wrong with me, and I'll take the conclusions I came to based on my own evidence over the ramblings of a deranged fantasist who believes in magical sky fairies.

Auggiecakes

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hope those who read this will benefit from at least some of it. I have been a freelance writer for years, published less in recent years because I have not sought out any specific venue. I believe "we are who we are by design", and that no one should ever be offended, disgrace or degraded for being homosexual.

Now some fifty years after coming out with my first partner, it challenges me at times to witness the degree of gay-hate that still exists in our country. Long ago I came to the conclusion that being gay or lesbian is as natural to the gay or lesbian as being straight is natural to the straight person. Then, of course, there are the bisexuals who most often are vilified by both sides for not choosing which side they want to be on. Hey! Bisexuals get to taste all the candy in the store. God bless ‘em!
Coming out in the late 1960s with my first partner meant seeking out our own kind. Laws were still on the books that allowed police to arrest gay men in bars if we sat too close, were caught touching one another or displayed any sign of intimacy or affection. I recall when the laws were relaxed sometime around 1970, allowing gay men to dance. Wow! That was a major threshold.
The very ideas of marriage, civil unions and adoption were not even on our lips at that time. We kept close quarters, allowing only those we fully trusted into our secret society. We walked within two worlds, substituting “she” for “he”, referring to our partners as family (cousins, adopted brother, whatever) to keep our secret life safe. In the private business sector where I have spent the last four decades of my life (shortly after a four-year Military stint where I received three written commendations), I was extremely careful because I was building a career. The field I chose to make my life’s work was and still is in many ways homophobic and heterosexist.
Certain Christian groups continue to raise homosexuality as the “ultimate sin”, while foregoing all the other “ultimate sins” scripted throughout the Holy Bible. Last night I watched the HBO program “Real Time with Bill Maher”, my regular Friday night treat. Kirk Douglas, now 95 (God bless him!) was Maher’s guest. At one point during the dialog, Douglas commented on how destructive religion is. As an ordained Priest, I sadly must agree. Jews, Christians and Islamists have committed horrible sins against one another, often because of one’s sexual orientation.
What is it that makes people so angry about gay sex? Seriously, I do not know. In the Gospel of Matthew, Chapter 19 while speaking to His disciples, Jesus says “not all men are called to marry.” He also comments about those “who shall be born from their mothers’ wombs as eunuchs.” When those words were spoken, the only acceptable sex with a woman was through marriage (in Hebrew culture; the Romans were out doing their own thing, so to speak.) Jesus did not then stipulate that unmarried men must remain chaste or celibate. As for Jesus’ reference to eunuchs, eunuchs are not born. They are a creation of man. A powerful pamphlet was written 35 years ago by Reverend Bauman, Senior Rector of Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington, DC. Bauman, a heterosexual, wrote “Reflections on the Gay Life”, positing that Jesus’ reference to eunuchs from the womb reflected Jesus’ awareness of homosexuality.
While there continues to be great, positive understanding about gays and lesbians in some of the Christian denominations (I am Episcopalian, “open and affirming”), Southern Baptists and similar fundamentalist sects use Holy Scripture to further their intolerance, ignorance and hatred of gays and lesbians.
I commented to the Priest who ordained me, “If I loved women as much as I love men, I’d have spawned children across the globe!” He laughed hysterically. Yet, it took a long time for me to accept myself as gay even when with my first partner, Chuck. (We were together for eight years; remaining close and good friends until his untimely death in 1996.) I had had sex with a couple women in college, but it seemed all too mechanical. When Chuck and I had sex, it was explosive, powerful, “bells and lights going on everywhere”. I had come into my natural sexual state.
As I survey our contemporary world, now 40+ years later, I am saddened by the persistent negative energy directed at gays and lesbians. True, in some states gays and lesbians can marry and adopt. In some states, one cannot be fired for being gay. (I was driven out of a number three position years ago when the president / owner of that company discovered through the grapevine I am gay.) Some young gays express to me the same fears and anxieties I felt forty years ago! This is progress?
I will never deny the sheer thrill that runs though my body when I see the well developed body of a handsome man. I started liking to look at “man butts” at a very young age. Years later I would learn what those sensations were all about. Of course a man’s endowment is equally tantalizing, but a fine male ass is beauty to behold. And despite what some may claim, the ass and its inner valley are highly erogenous areas of the male body. That’s why gay men, bisexual men and even some straight men enjoy giving over that part of their body to total sexual pleasure.
I would have hoped that by now all the negativity lobbed toward gays and lesbians would have subsided fully. It has not. The President’s repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell was a huge step forward. (I was not out while serving our nation.) What so amused me about that topic is how some of the fiercest warriors in history were homosexual or bisexual. And, many Biblical scholars claim the Hebrew Bible story about David and Jonathan is indeed a love story.
So, why all this fuss? Is it really about morality; or some deeply rooted nature in the gay haters that prevents them from evolving? If being gay is so unnatural, why is gayness found in every culture, religion, nationality, ethnicity and family? Of course, I realize my argument will fall silent upon the ears of those who simply believe being gay or lesbian is wrong.
I recall a woman asking me at a dinner party, “How can you be ‘a Man of God’ and also be gay? How do you know you are not defying God?” I replied, “Because I find no wrongness in my gayness. And how do YOU know you are not defying God by being straight, perhaps only to satisfy those around you?” No answer.
Sexual orientation is a very complex set of psycho-physical emotional neurons that travel through our bodies non-stop. How we are “wired” determines how we will enjoy sex. I have four basic rules on sex, which appear to be the most common set of rules: 1) no rape; 2) no incest; 3) no children; and, 4) no animals. As each of us celebrates our own sexuality, whatever that may be and with however many there may be; we should do it with the fullest expression of our sexual self. Guilt and anxiety should be absent. You, I along with the rest of gay culture have absolutely nothing to apologize for; or to feel shame about. Who knows, gays very easily may be “God’s other Angels”, for we bring a very different sexual landscape to the world of sex. Sex is powerful and provocative, the most sensational of our human experiences.
My sexual journey and evolving into my sexual identity have been a pleasant and joyful one. Like most gay men, old or young, the journey is not an easy one. We are faced with the constant struggle of identifying who we are, how to “protect” ourselves from the hostility of the world around us. The deeper struggle comes from knowing who we are and “what” we are sexually, and accepting our homosexual identity.
As I mentioned earlier, my awareness of the male body and the way it excited me at a very young age. That aspect of who I am was profound. I felt no guilt. I did not understand it entirely when I was not sexually mature. Yet, the sight of a well-built man with muscular, defined buttocks sent chills through me and offered unexplained excitement.

Who and what we are as a sexualized species is determined in the womb. Not all men or women are conceived and created to reproduce. It would be/will be splendid when and if the day comes when we are not “type cast” as to our sexual orientation.
Being gay is a cosmic joke.

There have been times I wished I were straight. My one sexual experience with a woman wasn't bad at all but it wasn't at all fulfilling. I've seen women before I thought were very attractive but just wasn't interested in dating them.

Still I think life is easier for straight people than gay for a variety of reasons.

I knew I was gay very early on. No doubt about it, and I knew from very early on it was not acceptable socially. I just instinctively stayed low key, was very careful about selecting hook ups and passing as straight. Mentally though, I made peace with it. I look back and I see myself in a situation like that of the young man who was caught masturbating by parent who warned him that he could go blind for doing "that." "Not to worry, Dad, I'm just going to do it until I need glasses."

When I began researching my same sex attraction the only material in the public library was a book on sexuality written by a priest. In hindsight he was probably really experienced given the nature of the priesthood. However his comments on what happened to gay people who are sexually active even in their mind was pretty dire. And as I rolled that around in my head, sitting in the public library I decided, hell, I was going to go "all in." If the sin of same sex desire was in and of itself condemning then I figured my soul was already gone so to speak so I was going to follow temptation where ever it led me. It led me to a lot of great sex in some amazingly seedy, risky venues - but it was a great trip! I regret nothing.

I was haunted during the AIDS crisis, which started out as the GRID crisis. I was sure I had to be infected. To this day it is amazing that I was not. The number of funerals was staggering. The losses huge and constant - so much talent wiped out, so little concern from political leaders, God bless the ACT UP movement. It probably saved us all in the end.

I'm at a point where can see the scoreboard of a life fully lived. I would like a couple do overs, but still I regret nothing at all about being gay and the choices I made with the opportunities I had. Others have not fared as well, but I never felt I wanted to change or be on a different path.

I was able to play the hand I was dealt, being gay has been a blessing. It pains me to meet others who were unable to find the blessings I did.

Well said! I knew when I was around 5 that men with nice butts (behinds in those days) were a huge attraction. Later on, I would go to cowboy movies and any type of movie where the jeans or pants were tight around the ass. I loved cowboy & Indian movies (keep in mind I am an older chap!), always hoping the Indian's loin cloth would flip up to reveal his butt! Of course, that never happened.

Like you, I began to research homosexuality around age 23 shortly after honorable Military service. I found a book at the college library, "Male Homosexuality: A Cross-species and Cross-cultural Study" by Wainwright Churchill. It was not an easy read, but superbly written. I came away with one thought from Churchill: Religion has created the problems for and with sexuality; period.

Reactions: keenobserver

Billy Williams

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am a married male who enjoyed same sex playing early on. It always has been exciting to me to play with other guys but as I got older I stoped. Married a woman. Then as I got older I wanted same sex play again. I think in a different time and culture I would have been gay.

Billy Williams

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well said! I knew when I was around 5 that men with nice butts (behinds in those days) were a huge attraction. Later on, I would go to cowboy movies and any type of movie where the jeans or pants were tight around the ass. I loved cowboy & Indian movies (keep in mind I am an older chap!), always hoping the Indian's loin cloth would flip up to reveal his butt! Of course, that never happened.

Like you, I began to research homosexuality around age 23 shortly after honorable Military service. I found a book at the college library, "Male Homosexuality: A Cross-species and Cross-cultural Study" by Wainwright Churchill. It was not an easy read, but superbly written. I came away with one thought from Churchill: Religion has created the problems for and with sexuality; period.
Understand, I have alway thought sexual orientation was a choice but I too can recal at a young age looking at men and wondering what their dicks looked like.

Understand, I have alway thought sexual orientation was a choice but I too can recal at a young age looking at men and wondering what their dicks looked like.

By no means or measure is sexual orientation a choice. Studies show that sexuality is determined during conception and development in the womb. If sexual orientation were indeed a choice, think about how much easier life would be for gays and lesbians if we made that "choice". And, by the way, it is very normal and natural for men to wonder about and admire other guys' cocks. That does not translate into any specific orientation, but simply is part of our male nature.

You curiosity is curiosity. My "curiosity" looking a nice cock and man hole is very, very sexual. It is beyond curiosity. It is interest.

Most of society has finally grasped the "why" for the use of "orientation" as opposed to "lifestyle". Lifestyle IS a choice. Orientation is not. Then, of course, there are the bisexuals. They get beaten down by both straights and gays. Frankly, I admire them because they get to taste all of the flavors of candy. :yum