Thoughts On Obesity And Fatphobia

jtm011

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
People are too thin-skinned compared to before and blame a lot of things on "bullying" which stretches out the real definition of what bullying is. Yes, certainly shaming someone for being overweight is terrible and should not occur. But the person who is overweight should talk with their doctor. Usually there are deeper underlying issues in their life like depression or anxiety as examples. Often times it is an unhealthy lifestyle - overeating and/or eating unhealthy or prepared foods, eating in restaurants too often, etc.

The solution is a well planned and controlled diet of healthier whole foods and watching caloric intake in combination with exercise.

Reactions: Oz1717

Oz1717

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yes. It hurts

I would hope that incredible "hurt" you "felt" encouraged you to try and lose weight. If not, then the problem isn't the people who fat shamed you, it's you.

They shouldn't be celebrated, but they shouldn't be made to feel bad about their bodies.

You're horrible. I hope no one government follows your advise.
Most fitness experts would disagree with you, most say my advise is something that is desperately needed especially for children.

Reactions: jtm011

jtm011

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
[deleted link to deleted post]
I will agree with your first paragraph, especially using government's stop smoking campaign as an example of curbing bad habits. I won't go all out and agree with your second paragraph because although it may seem that obesity is caused by "utter laziness, lack of discipline", and some of lack of discipline can often be true, it is also caused by other health factors such as anxiety, depression, lack of understanding caloric intake or lack of proper exercise.

The big issue here is obesity should not be normalized. There are a myriad of health risks that are associated with obesity, and this epidemic only manifested to great extent in the last 25 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oz1717

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I will agree with your first paragraph, especially using government's stop smoking campaign as an example of curbing bad habits. I won't go all out and agree with your second paragraph because although it may seem that obesity is caused by "utter laziness, lack of discipline", and some of lack of discipline can often be true, it is also caused by other health factors such as anxiety, depression, lack of understanding caloric intake or lack of proper exercise.

The big issue here is obesity should not be normalized. There are a myriad of health risks that are associated with obesity, and this epidemic only manifested to great extent in the last 25 years.
I'm a bit more blunt than most people in my approach and that's fair. I hold no grudges against anyone who can at least admit obesity is something that should never be normalized. Ever.

Reactions: jtm011

wsnki07

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
It's always amazing to me how no matter your race, gender, orientation, income, we are vulnerable to internalizing harmful narratives that are imposed on us. I'm a firm believer that the way someone treats you is a reflection of how they feel about themselves. So therefore, when someone attempts to shame someone, even if they feel it's for that persons benefit, it'll never be taken kindly.

Here's the kicker though, how you react says everything about YOU. So if you're hurting then you're believing that there's something wrong with you and that's cause for further examination. How do you address your pain? what's your response? starvation? binge eating?

Body image is an issue, so much that even those that are considered aesthetically "pleasing" by mainstream may still not feel confident in your own skin.

OP, I would recommend reading Vex King's "Good Vibe, Good life"

It may be a great start to help you redirect your energy

Oz1717

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm a bit more blunt than most people in my approach and that's fair. I hold no grudges against anyone who can at least admit obesity is something that should never be normalized. Ever.

I think a severe lack of discipline is a huge contributor to this problem. I can understand depression and anxiety having an impact, but having proper discipline prevents people from eating that entire bag or bags of potato chips, eating multiple meals as one meal, etc. are essentially feeding into their lack of personal awareness and placed their wants over basic needs.

jtm011

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think a severe lack of discipline is a huge contributor to this problem. I can understand depression and anxiety having an impact, but having proper discipline prevents people from eating that entire bag or bags of potato chips, eating multiple meals as one meal, etc. are essentially feeding into their lack of personal awareness and placed their wants over basic needs.
Yes, this is where understanding caloric intake is critical. It's not healthy to say I love myself and that's all that matters when you overeat yourself to the grave with hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, joint pain etc.

And remember, whatever medicines you take for these ailments usually cause other unwanted side effects. The only healthy solution is a lifelong disciplined diet, understanding the food you take in and a healthy exercise regimen.

Oz1717

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It may be a great start to help you redirect your energy[/QUOTE]
Yes, this is where understanding caloric intake is critical. It's not healthy to say I love myself and that's all that matters when you overeat yourself to the grave with hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, joint pain etc.

And remember, whatever medicines you take for these ailments usually cause other unwanted side effects. The only healthy solution is a lifelong disciplined diet, understanding the food you take in and a healthy exercise regimen.

we're in agreement.

flcl04

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Bernardino (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
loving your body and feeling comfortable in your skin i think are two different things
being overweight still has many limitations airplanes, amusement parks, public restrooms even seating at restaurants you're always reminded that you're too big

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Most fitness experts would disagree with you, most say my advise is something that is desperately needed especially for children.

All doctors would agree that it is important to be at a healthy body weight. No one would agree that fat shaming is an effective way to help people achieve that goal.

Below is an article about how fat shaming actually discourages weight loss and can cause weight gain in people.

'Fat Shaming' Doesn't Motivate Obese People to Lose Weight: Study - MedicineNet

No one will deny that being overweight is unhealthy and bad for you, but if you really want to help people, bullying them by fat shaming them is not the answer.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media

There is a huge gap between normalizing obesity and fat shaming people. You can promote a healthy lifestyle and body positivity without fat shaming.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media

Will you also take advise from people who can speak English?

Everyone admits that obesity is a problem in America. I don't deny that. What I don't agree with is your idea that fat shaming is legitimate solution to the problem. It isn't. It won't help things and will only make matters worse as well as make the personal lives of overweight people bad.

Instead of promoting fat shaming, why not try to get rid of food deserts so more people have access to healthy foods? Why not encourage bike paths or walkable neighborhoods so people will have more opportunities to exercise? Why not do anything else besides make others feel bad about themselves?

Reactions: french_toast

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media

If you for some reason can't sympathize with your fellow human beings, can you at least focus on what will be the most effective at solving the problem? Because fat shaming isn't it.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media

Show me the studies that say that it works. Not some random post on social media. Actual studies.

LilJock

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First off, I don't think "fat shaming" is ever OK. Most fat people know they're overweight and don't need to be reminded of the fact. They're either fine with it or have tried -- or are trying -- to do something about it.

I'd like to give another perspective on the problem. I'm a physical fitness nut and a former high school and college athlete, so it sounds funny how the fear of gaining weight has dogged me throughout life. I've always been in great shape but did carry more weight playing football in college (225 - 230 lbs vs current 195 lbs.). I purposely put on weight, believing it was needed to be a better player. I loaded up on carbs; mashed potatoes were my food of choice.

I wasn't overweight in the normal sense of the word. Pictures from that time show a good-looking, though younger and "rounder" me. However, I hated the extra pounds. I felt I looked like John Candy or Chris Farley, so after I finished up playing, I went on a crash diet.

However, as many can attest to, it's a constant struggle keeping it off. I exercise all the time. I "diet" all the time. I eat smaller portions. At restaurants I leave enough on my plate to feed the once-starving people of China my mother warned about. I have to suffer in agony while my wife praises how fantastic the desserts are; she can eat like a longshoreman, not gain an ounce and still look gorgeous.

Frankly, I'd love to let go and not worry about gaining some weight. However, my insecurities compel me to stay in shape. My self-image of the lean, mean machine won't let me gain an extra pound. I diet and exercise constantly. Inwardly, I fear I'll be rejected if I ever lose my looks. My wife assures me she wouldn't care if I weighed a little more, but the belief I'm desired only for my looks keeps me on the treadmill.

So there's another side to fat-shaming. In my case, it works. It does keep me ripped and toned. I'm not sure I wouldn't be more at peace with myself if fat-shaming weren't so ruthlessly effective.

Last edited: