Three 6 Mafia and me...

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Per instruction of at least one moderator I am writing this thread since one of the aforementioned appears to think that by not liking Hip Hop Music (or in this particular instance "Three 6 Mafia" and their performance at the Oscars) I'm implying racism.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say I loathe all Hip Hop and Rap Music. Yes I do. I loathe equally "Country Music". I must hate Southerners huh?

I don't dislike Rap and Hip Hop because it's (generally) racially associated with black Americans. (Jesus... how careful does one need to be?)

It's because, as I stated before, it's utter and complete cacophony to me.

I do not ask nor do I require anyone to have my taste in music. If any among you dislike Brahms, Mahler, Bartok, Beethoven, Chopin, Bach, or Barry Manilow for that matter I do NOT perceive it as a racial insult. Truly I don't.

Jesus. Has it really come to drawing the line this distinctly??

This thread is an overt attempt to remove myself from "BronxBombshell's" thread about 'veiled racism' on this board. I've had my fill of it.

Do with my sentiments as you will.

Please, I beg you! Insult Classical Music!! Here's your big chance!!!:rolleyes:

By the way I ADORE Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto too! So they're fair game too!!

**edited for foolish mixed metaphor. GRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh, dear. How shall I put this?

It's not racist to dislike hip-hop music. Disliking hip-hop music is merely lazy.

You've mentioned Mahler and Bartók as artists you like. (I adore Bartók but am ehhh on Mahler, myself.) Certainly you'll agree that these composers are 'acquired tastes'. Mahler's 3rd is an endurance test, and the severity and polyphony of Das Lied von der Erde -- his 8.5th? -- is challenging even to classical music aficionados unfamiliar with 20th-century postromanticism. Bartók's Third String Quartet often leaves listeners wondering if the violinists and the cellists are even playing the same piece. If you want 'cacophony' (your word!), you'll find plenty of it with these two composers.

It's harder to evaluate hip-hop music in the same terms, since it's too early to evaluate the legacy of artists like Three Six Mafia. As well, there are far too many hip-hop acts out there who are in it solely for the bling-bling and aren't seeking any lasting artistic contribution.

But there's a lot of hip-hop that's sheer genius -- A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory, Queen Latifah's All Hail The Queen, LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out, and OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below all come to mind as 'acquired tastes' that are worth acquiring.

After spending a lifetime growing up around white music, you've come to appreciate the complexity and depth in classical music -- no small accomplishment! Why is it, then, that you haven't devoted a similar amount of time to uncovering the layers behind hip-hop before giving up on it as 'utter and complete cacophony'?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
mindseye said:

It's not racist to dislike hip-hop music. Disliking hip-hop music is merely lazy.

You've mentioned Mahler and Bartók as artists you like. (I adore Bartók but am ehhh on Mahler, myself.) Certainly you'll agree that these composers are 'acquired tastes'.

Amen.

mindseye said:
Mahler's 3rd is an endurance test, and the severity and polyphony of Das Lied von der Erde -- his 8.5th? -- is challenging even to classical music aficionados unfamiliar with 20th-century postromanticism. Bartók's Third String Quartet often leaves listeners wondering if the violinists and the cellists are even playing the same piece. If you want 'cacophony' (your word!), you'll find plenty of it with these two composers.
INDEED IT IS!!! But you see I was weaned on it so I suspect it makes a difference.

mindseye said:
It's harder to evaluate hip-hop music in the same terms, since it's too early to evaluate the legacy of artists like Three Six Mafia. As well, there are far too many hip-hop acts out there who are in it solely for the bling-bling and aren't seeking any lasting artistic contribution.

But there's a lot of hip-hop that's sheer genius -- A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory, Queen Latifah's All Hail The Queen, LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out, and OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below all come to mind as 'acquired tastes' that are worth acquiring.

After spending a lifetime growing up around white music, you've come to appreciate the complexity and depth in classical music -- no small accomplishment! Why is it, then, that you haven't devoted a similar amount of time to uncovering the layers behind hip-hop before giving up on it as 'utter and complete cacophony'?

God damn. Someone opened a window. Thank you.

"mindseye"? To answer you directly, I've tried diligently... my ex-boyfriend force-fed it to me. Perhaps that was counter-productive, I don't know. It's simply not my taste. I have a near revulsion to the redundancy of the thump. It's akin to the way many felt about disco "back when" maybe. Whoopi Goldberg feels (or at least once did) similarly to the way I do so I don't think it's particularly or singly racial in nature. I certainly know it's not on my part. My friend Justin hates it and he's a disc jockey (of African American descent).

May I take this opportunity to thank you wholeheartedly for responding without rancor but rather with honesty, decency, and thoughtfulness..

R.

**edited because I missed some of mindseye's insight and needed to comment.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
mindseye said:

Then I'm lazy too, because most of it I simply cannot "get into" (with the exception of a few pieces like some by the refreshingly innovative Outkast, and others). Don't like country either (exception: "I Hope You'll Dance", and maybe one or two others. Liked some Roy Orbison stuff - was he country??)

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
b.c. said:
Then I'm lazy too, because most of it I simply cannot "get into" (with the exception of a few pieces like some by the refreshingly innovative Outkast, and others). Don't like country either (exception: "I Hope You'll Dance", and maybe one or two others. Liked some Roy Orbison stuff - was he country??)

Yes he was b.c. or at least crossover from Rock and Roll. My boyfriend loves him and cringes every time I "subject" him to Béla Bartok. He's only a bit more tolerant of Débussy and will allow him because "it's soothing". :redface:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can not get with Debussy. I just can't. I won't. You can't make me. He starts out boring, and then gets noisy. Then back to boring. And they made a whole movement out of this style! Called it impressionism which I hope makes the old masters of the visual arts roll over. Sheesh. :wink:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BronxBombshell said:
I can not get with Debussy. I just can't. I won't. You can't make me. He starts out boring, and then gets noisy. Then back to boring. And they made a whole movement out of this style! Called it impressionism which I hope makes the old masters of the visual arts roll over. Sheesh. :wink:

Try "L'Après-Midi d'une Faune". It's sublime. :wink: You may change your take.

prickleyguy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
i don't like Hip Hop or Rap whatever....... I'm old enough where i don't have to like the music of our kids, it's a long standing tradition that older folks don't like the next generations music and I uphold the tradition.........it's not racists in any way, I know a lot of white kids brown black and yellow kids that like hip hop.

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
I've been writing and performing music since I was a kid. I have certain elements that are on my checklist. I'm also moody. If someone's saying something and they aren't singing, it better have a damn good beat because I'll either use it as workout music or I'll dance to it. Gangsta rap has only one use for me: to piss off tight ass republicans at stop lights. I don't really like it. Eminem was entertaining for about 15 minutes but I grew tired of him. One "old school" rap artist I can't get enough of: The Egyptian Lover. His stuff was harmless and entertaining. It was about how much stuff he had and how good he was in bed.

I'm glad that we have diversity in music. Nobody should be forced into a genre they don't like. I don't have to listen to music if I don't like it. I have a hard time with a lot of new music because it's so angry. As a result, I'm stuck in a time warp music wise. I like a few new artists. I believe there's a lot of talent out there that needs to mature.

OK, that's my 2 cents.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Pecker said:
Thirty years from now what music do you think the Oldies stations will be playing?

One guess.
Saccharine crap that paints a falsely sterile image of the past as a 'better, safer place' if the current choices and those of the last two decades are anything to go by. I'll give you my full response in 2036. :rolleyes:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Pecker said:
Thirty years from now what music do you think the Oldies stations will be playing?

One guess.

In thirty years, the FCC's ongoing deregulation of the airwaves and selling out bandwidth to the highest bidders will render analog FM completely unlistenable. ClearChannel-owned digital-subscriber-only oldie stations will still refuse to play the Dixie Chicks.

This was a political thread, wasn't it?

STYLYUNG

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
The musical garbage that is played as background music in restaurants is a crime! The guys that wash the dishes must be the ones that run the Musak source. The dining public should walk out on a restaurant operator that allow such aural trash. it is not the atmosphere for pleasant dining. :mad:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
STYLYUNG said:
The musical garbage that is played as background music in restaurants is a crime! The guys that wash the dishes must be the ones that run the Musak source. The dining public should walk out on a restaurant operator that allow such aural trash. it is not the atmosphere for pleasant dining. :mad:

What is it about the guys washing the dishes that makes you believe they select the music, and what kind of music is it?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Pecker said:

One guess.

Three 6 Mafia.

Sorcerer said:
I don't have to listen to music if I don't like it. I have a hard time with a lot of new music because it's so angry. As a result, I'm stuck in a time warp music wise.

This nails it utterly. Thanks Sorcerer. It's that to which I react most overtly.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Pecker said:

One guess.
All the same shit the oldies are playing now. Whatever catches the somewhat current mainstream muse in a big way will be added. Garth Brooks comes to mind. As does Nirvana.

Right now music? Dunno, maybe some of the shit Alecia Keyes is throwing down but I doubt it. With any luck we'll be hearing some Macy Gray or Allison Krause.