Three 6 Mafia and me...

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Webster said:

It has long been my opinion that rap music is a lazy genre.
How much talent does it require to yell an angry hate filled rant of a chant in a fender rattling bass thump accompaniment?

Try it and see. I bet you couldn't be an MC. Lord knows it isn't in me.

That was not supposed to rhyme.

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm 43 so the angst that drives teens to listen to rap/hip-hop is long gone and I'm thankful. Music can be generational and often is. There's nothing wrong with that. I was also hated punk but that doesn't mean I'm racist towards white english boys.

The whole race thing and music is so stupid. Modern music is a blend of styles. It has it's roots in Africa, rural America, traditional english folk music, etc, etc, etc. To say that rap/hip-hop is black is also stupid. It's urban music. Period. and urban centres are very mixed.

Why waste time on telling people they're racist because they don't like a particular kind of music? There are a lot of other more pressing social issues out there that need attention.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I rock on with my bad self cause it's a must
It's the Lady Of Rage still kickin up dust
So umm, let me loosen up my bra strap
And umm, let me boost ya with my raw rap
Cause I'ma break it down to the nitty-gritty one time
When it comes to the lyrics I gets busy with mine
Busy as a beaver, ya best believe-a
This grand diva's runnin shit with the speed of a cheetah ...

The capital R-A now take it to the G-E
I bring good things to light, but you still can't see me
I flow like the monthly you can't cramp my style
For those that try to punk me here's a Pamprin, child

The Lady of Rage from "Afro Puffs"

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I may be living proof that musical tastes can be influenced not so much by your race, but by the environment in which you are raised. In my early to late childhood I grew up on military bases and housing areas for their families. Went to school with, hung out with, ate and slept over with white kids. By the time we came back to the south, my speech pattern (dialect) had changed (they described it as here as "talking proper") and so it seems my musical preferences.

So I'd be one of those rare black guys sitting in a Rush, Yes , or Moody Blues concert. Other musical preferences also included Beatles, Hendrix, Zeppelin, ELO, Chicago (i'm dating myself here, i know), Fleetwood Mac, Santana, Deep Forest, Enigma, (more currently groups like U2, and Linkin Park) in addition to the Motown/soul artists of those decades.

I think the places i've grown up in, the people i've known, and the experiences i've had have given me a broader appreciation for various forms of music (and various types of people) than what i otherwise would have if those experiences weren't mine.

It hasn't made me blind to the obvious, but it has made me more flexible.

jeremyA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Teenage angst??
When I am in the mood for sitting in my black painted room sulking and eating dry wheatabix I always go for Nick Drake or Lenard Cohern or even Nick Cave and the bad seeds, now theres music you can really feel depressed to.Even Radiohead cos you can listen to them and feel depressed and intellectualy superior at the same time, bonus ball :)

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A few of my friends can't quite understand my eclectic taste in music from the The Clash to Tschaikosvsky and most things in between, with a few exceptions, Rap being one, I like to think I'm open to new things, they wonder if it's my Gemini side run riot..or worse! Maybe I lost my angst too but there you go and I had never heard of Three 6 Mafia before yesterday!

The one thing I wish I could do is remember music...I hear it and love it but almost instantly forget who it was, I hate that yet somehow I can remember the reg number of every car I ever owned and passwords from systems I designed years ago....it's probably those alumunium pans again or mad cow or something!

I have a passion for Reggae, Salsa (especially Cuban) and a lot of local music from the SADC, it takes a lot to get me on my feet (for which anyone in the vicinty should be eternally grateful) but these can do it.

I have zero musical talent but I used to play Sax many moons ago, badly no doubt but it was a great release, I sold it (and everything else pretty much) to 'go walkabout', it's one of my very few regrets (selling the Sax).

Mozart was crackers in his last years in which case there's hope for me yet :biggrin1:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BronxBombshell said:
What is it about the guys washing the dishes that makes you believe they select the music, and what kind of music is it?

Maybe it cuts through the monotony. It's bad enough when they play originals when they degenerate into talentless folk doing cheap covers....why it's quite enough to put one off ones truffles :wink:

Didn't Brian Eno create (or coin) music for elevators..ooer?

But I do think fine Classical music goes well with italian food, and casbah rock sometimes and inexplicably puts me in the mood for a good curry so go figure!

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dong20 said:
Maybe it cuts through the monotony. It's bad enough when they play originals when they degenerate into talentless folk doing cheap covers....why it's quite enough to put one off ones truffles :wink:

Didn't Brian Eno create (or coin) music for elevators..ooer?

But I do think fine Classical music goes well with italian food, and casbah rock sometimes and inexplicably puts me in the mood for a good curry so go figure!

The person quoted needs to be the one to answer that question. It's kind of a pointed question, and it is only pointed at him.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BronxBombshell said:
The person quoted needs to be the one to answer that question. It's kind of a pointed question, and it is only pointed at him.

We have not been introduced so can I first say hello, and nice to meet you. :smile:

I was just saying that I agree that I'm no fan of Muzak or having others musical agenda enforced on me, mostly I tune it out. I do believe that music can have unexpected and subtle effects on people. I used to listen to music a great deal but these last few years I have not, yet sometimes I will hear a song or a piece of music and it makes me smile and remember a happy time or recall an event which which it's ascociated, other times the same song can drop me to me knees if it triggers another nerve. It's the same with smells I guess.

Its the strange way that one can hear a great song on a crackly, hissy radio, it may sound technically awful but the brain filters that out and the spirit of the song still gets your feet tapping, yet hear the same another day on a perfect audio system and it can leave you cold, timing, mood and so on all play a part.

The first time I heard Casbah Rock I was with some old friends, we had been out on the town and I suspect but can't quite remember we probably ended up as usual in a curry house. I don't recall the curry but to this day the song makes me itch, perhaps inexplicable was the wrong word.

It's rather off topic I know.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
Dear GOD!

My thread's off topic. I'm gonna get really angry!!!!

Lest you forget this is about SLAMMING MY TASTE IN MUSIC and remember this thread is "all about me".:cool:

LOL....I know, things don't always turn out how you plan do they? I know I certainly didn't meant to burn my bagel this morning.

Sometimes a little light hearted diversion helps recharge the batteries, fear not I expect the slamming will restart soon enough :wink:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dong20 said:
LOL....I know, things don't always turn out how you plan do they? I know I certainly didn't meant to burn my bagel this morning.

Sometimes a little light hearted diversion helps recharge the batteries, fear not I expect the slamming will restart soon enough :wink:

HA!

Nah, 'slamming' is getting old. And my back has welts.

No kidding about the light-hearted diversion. I'm hanging out here in fact dong20 since I'm done with that "unmentionable" thread. I've posted two last posts... see that my ever present moderator-devoté has resonded.. and I'm not even reading it.

Let 'em think they're solving world bigotry.

You did save me a bite of that bagel didn't you?:33:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
BronxBombshell said:
What is it about the guys washing the dishes that makes you believe they select the music, and what kind of music is it?

It's a Generalization that he was making.

Most younger guys/girls washing dishes (Teenagers) would be listening to Rap. (Most, not all)
Why? Because it's the "Cool" thing to do.. Until they grow up...
Also, because that's all you hear on the radio stations anymore in medium to large cities.
I don't even listen to the radio anymore because I got sick of hearing R&B or Rap music.

I agree with him. Rap has no place in a restaraunt.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
chico8 said:
Why waste time on telling people they're racist because they don't like a particular kind of music? There are a lot of other more pressing social issues out there that need attention.

1. Because it's Easy to do
2. It Draws attention

Other social issues
Fix the system, then the rest will fall into place.

Equality for all, and no special rights.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
HA!

Nah, 'slamming' is getting old. And my back has welts.

No kidding about the light-hearted diversion. I'm hanging out here in fact dong20 since I'm done with that "unmentionable" thread. I've posted two last posts... see that my ever present moderator-devoté has resonded.. and I'm not even reading it.

Let 'em think they're solving world bigotry.

You did save me a bite of that bagel didn't you?:33:

Sometimes it's the best to walk away, the last word is not always the best one. I find that in forums, once something starts to get out of control it can be hard to stop, kinda like having the engine of a Rolls but the brakes and steering of a mini :)

Sorry, I ate the bagel but I have more..have to wait till breakfast which is 12 hrs away cos it's Sunday tommorrow and I don't do Sunday mornings unless provoked or getting paid in big bundles.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Webster said:
It has long been my opinion that rap music is a lazy genre.
How much talent does it require to yell an angry hate filled rant of a chant in a fender rattling bass thump accompaniment?
Someone get out the blue ribbon, we've found our winner for Stupidest Post of the Month.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dr. Dilznick said:
Someone get out the blue ribbon, we've found our winner for Stupidest Post of the Month.

Sorry, it's already been awarded. Look directly over your computer. See it right up there? It's just next to your Noble Peace for kindness.