Three 6 Mafia and me...

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Rikter8 said:
It's a Generalization that he was making.

Most younger guys/girls washing dishes (Teenagers) would be listening to Rap. (Most, not all)
Why? Because it's the "Cool" thing to do.. Until they grow up...
Also, because that's all you hear on the radio stations anymore in medium to large cities.
I don't even listen to the radio anymore because I got sick of hearing R&B or Rap music.

I agree with him. Rap has no place in a restaraunt.

He didn't say it was rap. He didn't describe the dishwashers. But I'd like him to. Have you ever heard rap being played for restaurant patrons? I never have.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Webster said:
It has long been my opinion that rap music is a lazy genre.
How much talent does it require to yell an angry hate filled rant of a chant in a fender rattling bass thump accompaniment?
Your incredibly myopic view on a genre of music whose impact America and the world are still feeling is flabbergasting. You at once insult all the classically trained men and women who make this music by choice, the classically trained artists who incorporate this genre into their own music, and the legions of fans of all ages who recognize it's complexity even if they don't enjoy it ad nauseum as today's youth seem to.

I'd much prefer you went back to your usual array of kissing Windtalkerways' and Stronzo's asses for support and pity than you make such grossly ignorant statements.

One makes you look foolish while the other just makes you look pathetic. Your choice which is which.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dong20 said:
We have not been introduced so can I first say hello, and nice to meet you. :smile:

Nice to meet you too!:biggrin1:

dong20 said:
I was just saying that I agree that I'm no fan of Muzak or having others musical agenda enforced on me, mostly I tune it out. I do believe that music can have unexpected and subtle effects on people. I used to listen to music a great deal but these last few years I have not, yet sometimes I will hear a song or a piece of music and it makes me smile and remember a happy time or recall an event which which it's ascociated, other times the same song can drop me to me knees if it triggers another nerve. It's the same with smells I guess.

Some of that I did get from your other post. And I wholeheartedly agree with you. However, what I failed to convey when I quoted your other post was that this does not answer the question I posed, which you quoted, and the question which was posed, can really only be answered by the person who I quoted when I posed it. I do hope he comes back to answer me.

(How's that last paragrah? Confusing enough for ya? Lately I have not felt as articulate as usual.)

dong20 said:
Its the strange way that one can hear a great song on a crackly, hissy radio, it may sound technically awful but the brain filters that out and the spirit of the song still gets your feet tapping, yet hear the same another day on a perfect audio system and it can leave you cold, timing, mood and so on all play a part.

I'm with you, 100% here. Surrounded by friends, eating, laughing, playing cards I could listen to Malian village chants all day. Try to make me sit still for it, even with the beautiful, simple, often emotive percussion in the background (the instruments sound like bells, but aren't) I won't. I won't sit still and listen, and you can't make me.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
Your incredibly myopic view on a genre of music whose impact America and the world are still feeling is flabbergasting. You at once insult all the classically trained men and women who make this music by choice, the classically trained artists who incorporate this genre into their own music, and the legions of fans of all ages who recognize it's complexity even if they don't enjoy it ad nauseum as today's youth seem to.

I'd much prefer you went back to your usual array of kissing Windtalkerways' and Stronzo's asses for support and pity than you make such grossly ignorant statements.

One makes you look foolish while the other just makes you look pathetic. Your choice which is which.

Speaking of foolish-

Lex? To mirror your own suggestion to me on another thread may I remind you this is not the "Webster bashing thread"? I think it best that its original premise be respected and you're dreadfully off-topic. Just to remind you, it was opened in an effort for people to lash out at me (albeit non-racially) for my taste in Classical music.

Plus, and in fairness, Webster's been kind to me, though never actually 'kissed my ass' as you so graphically put it. Windy's not here anymore to defend herself since she was brow-beaten into submission by several who'll go unnamed. So let's leave her alone on the thread too. It's not the "Bash Windy Thread" either.

Thanks. Your anticipated cooperation is appreciated.

Stronzo

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You're right Stronzo--I am off topic. Truth be told, you and I had this Three 6 Mafia discussion via PM after the Oscars and I told you that I respected your right to like whichever musical genres to which your inner soul preferred to vibe.

I was simply invoking my right to challenge Webster's comments about Hip Hip as outlined in the ToS:

Freedom of Speech- We have a longstanding tradition of freedom of speech of which we are very proud. In order to understand what this means, here is what it is and is not: It IS the right to speak your mind, in the words of your choosing. It is our hope that you will choose your words as carefully as you want members to choose theirs in response. It IS NOT the right to have your words go unchallenged. We respect your RIGHTS, but have no obligation to respect your ideas. If what you post here gets challenged and that seems upsetting to you, you may prefer to just read.

I will try to stay on topic here:

I don't, however, recall telling you you could come out of the corner. ;-)

Stronzo--Your musical tastes are elitist and snobbish--totally in character. Bravo to you!! The avatar with the pinched nose was a nice touch as well!! ;-)

Was that better?

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm a menace, a dentist, an oral hygienist
Open your mouth for 'bout four or five minutes
Take a little bit of this fluoride rinse
Swish but don't spit it, swallow and I'll finish

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Webster said:
It has long been my opinion that rap music is a lazy genre.
How much talent does it require to yell an angry hate filled rant of a chant in a fender rattling bass thump accompaniment?

If you take this at face value, it was pretty myopic. "Yelling over a bass thump "doesn't take much talent at all, but to indict an entire genre -- as Webster did -- is as narrow-minded as saying "all black people look the same to me."

If you don't take it as face value, Webster was flat-out race baiting.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
mindseye..

From my experience Webster doesn't 'bait'. He's much too direct for that.

His opinion of rap, though to you perhaps 'myopic' and too categorical, is simply that: his opinion. He's not required anymore than I am to like music he finds "not his cup of tea". Or is he? I say he's not.

But more importantly may we kindly have a concensus that this "ganging up on" crapola needs to stop? We're losing valuable members in my opinion.

It'd be helpful (and since I always found you fair) if you'd help stop the bullying mentality focused on very specific posters which has become manifest lately. Thanks.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I tried calling it ignorant and myopic as to not incite more racial divison because we all live in the yellow submarine, y'know.

Mindseye, however, may call it race baiting. Seeing as how both Mimdseye and Webster are white and gay, the most he can yell at you would be "Fag!!" or "Queen!!"

;-)

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
I don't, however, recall telling you you could come out of the corner. ;-)
But I don't mind well Lex, you know that. :)

Stronzo--Your musical tastes are elitist and snobbish--totally in character. Bravo to you!! The avatar with the pinched nose was a nice touch as well!! ;-)

Was that better?

Oh yes ever so much!

From your view I suspect they are. To me Lex they're simply my tastes. But be assured I value quality in all things and I assure you that runs the gamut.

re "pinched nose": I know! I liked the La Streisand avatar too but ya know... I was afraid someone would think me too stereotypically "queenie". :rolleyes:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So, we need to modify the ToS then, to say that only ONE person may disagree with any poster's point, lest bullying occur? Please.

People can challenge your opinion, same as you can challenge mine. The difference if that when my opinion is challenged, I don't run screaming UNFAIR, or ATTACK, or POOR ME.

Being as how it is so close to Easter and you have this persecution complex that leads you to interpret disagreement as attack, I am taking bets:

Who is REALLY the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ: Webster or Stronzo?

Who will be the first to come forth with evidence of the Stigmata?

My money is on Stronzo. He at least, knows how to make fun of himself and recognizes it when others do so in a thread he started so they could in the firsty place.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Webster said:
I don't know what is going on in your life that has made you so mean and petty and angry. But it is very unbecoming.
I don't know what has possibly allowed you, in the past 100 days, to think you know me well enough to psycho-analyze me. Go use the search poster history as I challenged you to weeks ago in this regard or be quiet about this 'you've changed crap" already.

Webster said:

Please tell me what part of my comments you considered racist.
I never made any mention whatsoever of race.

I am not the enemy....
THIS is the entire problem. YOU can't see how ANYONE coulkd take what you say as (racially/culturally) insensitive. You don't have to mention race to imply it (same with class and culture).

How do you expect me to explain things to you that are in plain site?