Three 6 Mafia and me...

tallguypns

Sexy Member
Media
Pensacola, Florida, United States of America
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Ok, I think it's time for an expert opinion in here. I rarely like to stick my neck out because I'm insecure and such, but here goes.

I do not like rap, hip-hop, and most of that genre of music. My reasons for not liking this music are the same reasons I do not like Baroque music or most 20th century orchestral music (Gershwin gets a big pass though). It's too busy. It requires active listening. Listening to it isnt soothing. When I put on something to listen to, I dont want to work. I am an audio engineer by trade. I also have a degree in music education and am a jazz and classically trained trumpeter.

As to whether or not it takes skill to make rap music, that's certainly debatable. I am sure a great deal of rap artists get their albums out through skill and hard work, but being on the "other side of the glass" (meaning knowing what goes into the art of recording) I can say, with certainty, in small number of cases, the talented ones are the backing musicians, the producer and the engineer, not the big name artist (Brittney Spears comes to mind in a different genre.)

When I put on a piece of music to listen to, aside from work, I do it simply for emotional reasons. Either to fit the mood I am in, or to help me get in a mood. My choices would be the romantic and impressionist orhestral composers for relaxation. I listen to a lot of Frank Sinatra and big band jazz as well, for various moods. Occaisionally for nostalgia I'll put on some cock rock (that's 80's rock or hair bands to some of you.) Or if I just want to feel like i've got even the slightest clue about contemporary popular music, I'll find something from Hoobastank, or Matchbox 20.

That's my $0.98 worth, someone else can have the left over 2 cents.

Edited for grammar and spell, although not nearly edited enough.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Webster:

Opinions that are poorly supported, bad generalizations, and painting with too broad a brush -- exactly what you did when you labeled the entire genre as yelling and thumping -- aren't justifiable merely because you've disclaimed them. I didn't accuse you of being 'wrong' or 'mistaken', as I might have if you had stated a fact erroneously, but I did disagree with the very poor opinion you expressed.

You frequently claim (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) you're being attacked on here, but there's a big difference between an attack and mere disagreement. I assure you that my post was not an attack.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
So, we need to modify the ToS then, to say that only ONE person may disagree with any poster's point, lest bullying occur? Please.

People can challenge your opinion, same as you can challenge mine. The difference if that when my opinion is challenged, I don't run screaming UNFAIR, or ATTACK, or POOR ME.

Being as how it is so close to Easter and you have this persecution complex that leads you to interpret disagreement as attack, I am taking bets:

Who is REALLY the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ: Webster or Stronzo?

Who will be the first to come forth with evidence of the Stigmata?

My money is on Stronzo. He at least, knows how to make fun of himself and recognizes it when others do so in a thread he started so they could in the firsty place.

Lex, lex, lex,

There's no complex. This thing's real much as you'd like to assign it to the realm of imagination. People are leaving the board over it. That alone should give you pause. Are you trying to be clever or are you just a free-range bastard? I'm beginning to think you're taking out being unduly picked on as a child on anyone you perceive as weaker than you. Hmm.. that's kinda naughty old boy.

Basta already. NO ONE is the 'second coming' of anything. As it is the 'Second coming of Christ' is frightening enough.

Though unmistakably droll, you have an arrogance that supercedes only my own (though it appears you weren't given a subtlety gene) and you randomly use certain posters as whipping posts while many more overtly offending individuals remain free from the wrath of "The Lex". :rolleyes:

Just be fair. It's a simple concept. What is up with this moderator thingy anyway? I reread Jana's reposting of the mod rules but it didn't mention "Cruel and unusual meting out of insult shall be randomly and viciously imposed by us without further notice". It's been one slam after the next since its inception from several of said sources. If you think it's clever, perhaps to you it is. But others perceive you as nasty and you're hurting their feelings. I guess that's not up there as a priority like "race relations" is for you. Be fair to everyone theoretically but in practical application beat them into submission. Is that it? Your logic eludes me (assuming there is some).

I think the unkindness you're showing to many is counter-productive. I'm equal to you but it appears some aren't. But what's the point really? You're beginning to look like you've got a personal cross to bear (speaking of 'the second coming of'...) and it's pretty ugly to read.

Again, I'd ask you (since I respected your request) to do as 'tallguypns' has and post on-topic (more or less). Why not start an "I like to be an asshole to these particular posters thread"? And then you can have at all of us, eh? Thereby we (the put-upon few ;-) will have the option of not clicking on that particular thread.

Now please post topically or, to quote La Streisand in "On a Clear Day":

"Get off my roof!!"

**edited ... because I can.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Webster said:
Let's see.

You referred to me as "narrow minded"

I never called you narrow-minded; I said what you did was narrow-minded.

Webster said:
and "myopic"

Again, I didn't call you myopic, I called your opinion myopic.

Webster said:
of having a "poor" opinion

Yes, I did call your opinion poor, and I stand by that statement.

I try to choose my words carefully, Webster, and as I see it, I called you on an opinion that I believe was poorly thought-out and wholly unjustified in its breadth. At no time did I attribute any of these characteristics to you as a person. If it feels like an attack to you, so be it, but I think you're being overly sensitive (this is a characteristic I am ascribing to you.)

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am one of the few people my age who despises this new gangster rap, 99 % of hip hop. I can listen to some Wu Tang, can listen to some Biggie, but thats about it as far as that music goes. I listen to Screamo/Hardcore/Metalcore (UnderOath, It Dies Today, Norma Jean etc etc) and time and again I'll get into an emo band (Armor for Sleep comes to mind). But for the most part, music involving no instruments, music that glorifies gangs, and music that involves making up new words does not appeal to me.

Music is a personal taste, 99% of the time there is no racial motive.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Show me where I called you racist for disliking Rap music. I have never called you or Stronzo racist.

Like Mindseye, I called your VIEW of the music myopic. Actually, I said it first and he said he agreed with that opinion.

You read racism in there Webster, not me.

All I asked you to do was CONSIDER how someone MIGHT find offense in the generalizations you made. Really, if you feel so sensitive about things in general, I would hope that you would find a way to attempt to consider stepping outside yourself to examine these instances (I may not have my epiphanies about myself on the board, but I do sometimes have them).

Also--Gansta Rap is a sub-category of Hip Hop, not its interty. Angry, hate-filled lyrics are not all the genre has to offer. To assume so and state as much (as you did) is ignorant (meaning without knowledge). I stand by that.

See: Mos Def, Common, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Lauren Hill, and more.

If you are feeling sensitive to what Dilznick said about you in that other thread, please fight with him about that. He and I have had our fights (and may have them again--they happened prior to your joining). They, will of course, be of the topics of our choosing (one or the other).

Stronzo--I hope you forgive me for being off topic.

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
Show me where I called you racist for disliking Rap music. I have never called you or Stronzo racist.

Like Mindseye, I called your VIEW of the music myopic. Actually, I said it first and he said he agreed with that opinion.

You read racism in there Webster, not me.

All I asked you to do was CONSIDER how someone MIGHT find offense in the generalizations you made. Really, if you feel so sensitive about things in general, I would hope that you would find a way to attempt to consider stepping outside yourself to examine these instances (I may not have my epiphanies about myself on the board, but I do sometimes have them).

Also--Gansta Rap is a sub-category of Hip Hop, not its interty. Angry, hate-filled lyrics are not all the genre has to offer. To assume so and state as much (as you did) is ignorant (meaning without knowledge). I stand by that.

See: Mos Def, Common, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Lauren Hill, and more.

If you are feeling sensitive to what Dilznick said about you in that other thread, please fight with him about that. He and I have had our fights (and may have them again--they happened prior to your joining). They, will of course, be of the topics of our choosing (one or the other).

You can't criticize someone for his taste in music. I'm sorry, I have a lot of respect for you, but you're way off. Who are you to tell someone what their taste in music is? It is what the person likes, not you. How is he being short sighted if he dislikes those aspects of the music? He has a point. A good one. With the exception of a few select spoken word artists, the vast majority of hip hop promotes women dressing like sluts (which i'm not complaining about, trust me:biggrin1:), splurging on on jewelry, and is certainly violent or obscene.

Nothing racist about facts.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:

Willingly. The thread topic's a hopeless loss now alas..:redface: I guess Beethoven's not only not spinning in his grave... Mozart's still in his unmarked one. Woe is me.

(Just let me make off with a thread or two one once in a while) :wink:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
LINittanyLion said:
I am one of the few people my age who despises this new gangster rap, 99 % of hip hop. I can listen to some Wu Tang, can listen to some Biggie, but thats about it as far as that music goes. I listen to Screamo/Hardcore/Metalcore (UnderOath, It Dies Today, Norma Jean etc etc) and time and again I'll get into an emo band (Armor for Sleep comes to mind). But for the most part, music involving no instruments, music that glorifies gangs, and music that involves making up new words does not appeal to me.

Music is a personal taste, 99% of the time there is no racial motive.

Oh but I'd love to take you up to the penthouse to show you my Bartok! I think I could convert you!! We'll make it easy and start with Chopin. What say you Lion?:wink:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
LINittanyLion said:
You can't criticize someone for his taste in music. I'm sorry, I have a lot of respect for you, but you're way off. Who are you to tell someone what their taste in music is? It is what the person likes, not you. How is he being short sighted if he dislikes those aspects of the music? He has a point. A good one. With the exception of a few select spoken word artists, the vast majority of hip hop promotes women dressing like sluts (which i'm not complaining about, trust me:biggrin1:), splurging on on jewelry, and is certainly violent or obscene.

Nothing racist about facts.
This is what Webster said:

Webster said:
It has long been my opinion that rap music is a lazy genre.
How much talent does it require to yell an angry hate filled rant of a chant in a fender rattling bass thump accompaniment?
The vast majority of hip hop does not do what you say. The vast majority of hip hop that is marketed and exposed to people on the radio and cable and magazine ads does what you say (and it, like other forms of music is marketed b/c it sells).

here is what Mindseye offered earlier in the thread:
Mindsye said:
... It's not racist to dislike hip-hop music. Disliking hip-hop music is merely lazy....
Like I told Stronzo a long time ago in PM--he (or Webster) is free to like whatever music he chooses. My exception is with Webster's ignorance to the genre and gross misrepresentation of most of the music therein.

And I am STILL looking for the point in time when *I* said Stronzo or Webster were racist for ANYTHING they have said or done.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
LINittanyLion said:
You can't criticize someone for his taste in music.

But you can criticize someone for airing a poorly-informed opinion about music:
  • "The orchestra conductor is pointless -- all they do is stand there and wave a stick!"
  • "Playing the piano is easier than typing, 'cause you have fewer keys to learn."
  • "There's no difference between a banjo and a guitar, except for the number of strings."
  • "The entire genre of rap music consists of nothing but yelling and thumping."
Opinions like those go beyond matters of personal taste, and it's perfectly appropriate to criticize those.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Webster said:

Well, Lex, you certainly seem mighty angry over something.

Just ONCE, I would really like to see you address a point someone makes about you or something you offer via a post with a counterpoint. An explanation. A rationalization. ANYthing other than deflection.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
And I am STILL looking for the point in time when *I* said Stronzo or Webster were racist for ANYTHING they have said or done.

I may be mistaken Lex (I have been you know..) but I don't think I ever accused you of calling me a racist. That assignment was given me by a fellow poster yesterday.

If anything I felt there was a little guilt by association since some of the relevant posts were slanted toward "them what did". I'm a sensitive fuck you know. :cool:

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
Oh but I'd love to take you up to the penthouse to show you my Bartok! I think I could convert you!! We'll make it easy and start with Chopin. What say you Lion?:wink:

I'm sorry Stronz, I have little interest in your Bartok:tongue: