Three Innovations That Changed America

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would have probably written the article on a more global basis and said Three Innovations That Changed The World... and rather included air travel that has brought the world together... What are your opinions?
1. Television
2. Internet
2. Interstate Highway Systems.
or other

Three innovations that changed America - CNN.com

Nuclear Weapons, Telly, Internet are all major ones...
Coke would be another - kinda changed the world, lol.

Not sure who discovered electricity and who invented the phone, so can't attribute them to the Yanks (altho they did change America).

I'd also suggest radar and penicillin...but I think they were British inventions, hehehe. :wink:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Nuclear (neukular) weapons (which prompted the fear to build the highway system so we could make fast get-a-ways -- yeah, that'd work)

Cross continental railroad travel (yeah, I know . . . who takes a train these days?)

Tic Tacs (it's like eating, but it's not)

EDIT: OK, I'll swap Tic Tacs with the discovery and continued development of antibiotics for $500, Alex.

Last edited:

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
that changed AMERICA?
er...
1.internet
2.the ability to order fast food on the internet (which i am guilty of as im afraid to talk to people i dont really know on the phone.)
3.the ability to argue stupid nationalist points over COD. So i guess COD is the innovation there.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nuclear Weapons, Telly, Internet are all major ones...
Coke would be another - kinda changed the world, lol.

Not sure who discovered electricity and who invented the phone, so can't attribute them to the Yanks (altho they did change America).

I'd also suggest radar and penicillin...but I think they were British inventions, hehehe. :wink:

Franklin got the credit for realising that electricity and lightning were the same thing, but the word electric was coined by an English scientist, Gilbert, in 1600. The guy who really did the serious investigation of it was Volta, who discovered that chemical reactions could produce electricity and the result of that was batteries. It's argued that the Parthians might have done that a few centuries before him based on the discovery of the Baghdad Battery in 1936, but no-one's quite sure yet what they were used for and whether or not they were electrical. They just have a similar structure to galvanic cells.

Alexander Graham Bell from Edinburgh was the first to patent a working telephone, but there were quite a few other contenders around the same time who were slightly put out that he got there first.

The precursor to radar was developed by Christian Hülsmeyer, but the first practical system was produced by the Brits.

Penicillin was down to another Scottish scientist, Alexander Fleming. Just think, if he had been a better microbiologist and had used proper sterile technique, medicine would have been very different over the last 80 odd years.

And back in the old days, Coke contained coke, so you can take that how you will.