Tiger Mauling in San Fran zoo

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
I don't think anybody really wants any part injured or killed .. nobody wants the tiger to be injured or killed, nobody wants the loss of human life. The best that can come out of this sorry escapade is that the authorities will be more careful about how they keep the animals contained and that there is increased security to stop stupid people from taunting the animals.

actually if your going to taunt a caged animal I do want you to die
and to be honest I cant' be 100% sure that I wont' ensure it happens if given the chance
I know the kid who threw a rock at my dog severalyears ago was convinced I was going to kill him
I would have to say it was possible since I had no concern with his life, just wanted to make sure he stopped moving

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
If she asks for an apology I will give her one you stupid shit.

My guess is that she got pissed off because I pointed out that her child's life is more important to her than that of a Tiger. If that upset her so I will apologize.

in reality tho you were out of line bringing her individual family members into the equation
you also made a strawman argument
by the time the tiger was killed the damage to human life had already been done
now in your example it's either or
if killing the tiger had saved the 'kids' life she'd probubly be ok with it
so you altered the argument to make her look like a hypocrit
and I'm callingyou on it

str82fcuk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovial [URL="http://www.lpsg.org/images36/buttons/viewpost.gif"]http://www.lpsg.org/images36/buttons/viewpost.gif[/URL]
I don't believe in an objective morality. The reality is animals can't defend themselves. That's why they don't have the same rights.

"Justice originates between parties of equal power." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Do you disagree?

"if you do not believe in objective morality you do not believe the tiger should have been killed
simple as that"

Exactly right! Nietzsche would have been totally in favour of the tiger who had the ability to defend itself, the might and power to do so, and therefore the right. This is made quite clear in his book "The genealogy of morals" where he actually uses the example of a lion and a human and supports the lion's right to eat the human.

Personally I don't mess with any animals either human or non-human if they are stronger than me. If they are weaker than me I won't bother them if they dont bother me first. But if they are weaker and stupid and provocative then they are fair game in my book (and Nietzsche's) and they deserve their just rewards.

str82fcuk

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Once they kill a human and get the taste of blood they have no choice. The animal must be put down. :frown1:

So I see you are in favour of the death penalty ...

:tongue:

Just joking :)

Actually because I have a sense of objective morality I believe in mercy both for cruel humans and for beastly animals ...

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
in reality tho you were out of line bringing her individual family members into the equation
you also made a strawman argument
by the time the tiger was killed the damage to human life had already been done
now in your example it's either or
if killing the tiger had saved the 'kids' life she'd probubly be ok with it
so you altered the argument to make her look like a hypocrit
and I'm callingyou on it
Not exactly, the tiger was in the process of attacking a second kid that was still alive when the police arrived to distract it.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"if you do not believe in objective morality you do not believe the tiger should have been killed simple as that"
How does that follow? A subjective or objective morality could believe the tiger should have been killed or not killed.
Actually because I have a sense of objective morality I believe in mercy both for cruel humans and for beastly animals ...
The problem with some people's objective morality is it leads to believing that we shouldn't hurt any animals for any reason. Then you could take it to the extreme and say we shouldn't hurt plants or even bacteria. If it's objective, then it should follow some set of (hopefully simple) rules that say exactly what rights various living things have. And you'd still have to convince me why that system of morals was better than any other. And therein lies the dilemma, not every party agrees with your "objective" morals.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Jovial seems to have the only correct view here, as far as I'm concerned.

36DD may not like it much, but mem0101 has read her beads front to back & left to right. The kids deserved to die for taunting a tiger unless they were your kids, who, in any case, are too smart to do such a thing? Can't you see the complete folly in that logic?

The police are committed to public safety. When they respond to a call after a tiger has already killed one person and is mauling another what else should they have done?

And doesn't this all speak volumes about how inherently inhumane urban zoos really are? They are NOTHING but vanity projects for the administrators and cities that have them. If you are concerned about endangered species (and who isn't?) then support wildlife refuges far away for human populations.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Jovial seems to have the only correct view here, as far as I'm concerned.

36DD may not like it much, but mem0101 has read her beads front to back & left to right. The kids deserved to die for taunting a tiger unless they were your kids, who, in any case, are too smart to do such a thing? Can't you see the complete folly in that logic?

The police are committed to public safety. When they respond to a call after a tiger has already killed one person and is mauling another what else should they have done?

And doesn't this all speak volumes about how inherently inhumane urban zoos really are? They are NOTHING but vanity projects for the administrators and cities that have them. If you are concerned about endangered species (and who isn't?) then support wildlife refuges far away for human populations.

I agree completely with the first two paragraphs - well said.

As for third - well - yes, in an ideal world. But most folk want a bang for their buck(o) :rolleyes: don't they? Plenty of people will pay to wander round a zoo and keep the kids / themselves entertained for a few hours but a smaller percentage of those people would put even a fraction of the money they'd spend on an outing to the city zoo (if any acually) into wildlife refuges. There are a lot of zoos around the world that have excellent breeding programs and do do a lot of good work in animal preservation. It's a balance thing - the hoi polloi (myself included) get to wander round and ooo and aaah and the zoos get the cash to do, hopefully, good things. Well that's how it works in the European zoos I've been to. I can't imagine things are that different in the States, are they?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I agree completely with the first two paragraphs - well said.

As for third - well - yes, in an ideal world. But most folk want a bang for their buck(o) :rolleyes: don't they? Plenty of people will pay to wander round a zoo and keep the kids / themselves entertained for a few hours but a smaller percentage of those people would put even a fraction of the money they'd spend on an outing to the city zoo (if any acually) into wildlife refuges. There are a lot of zoos around the world that have excellent breeding programs and do do a lot of good work in animal preservation. It's a balance thing - the hoi polloi (myself included) get to wander round and ooo and aaah and the zoos get the cash to do, hopefully, good things. Well that's how it works in the European zoos I've been to. I can't imagine things are that different in the States, are they?

I knew someone would bring up your point. And it's well put, but...:wink:

It actually reinforces my concept that urban zoos are vanity projects. the good works cannot outweigh the fact that the captives are living lives far removed from their ideal.

Maybe the time has really come where endangered species are maintained in habitats out in refuges where they can be nurtured by humans without having to sing for their suppers (and existence). Maybe the time has come when the only real interaction the hoi polloi gets with wild animals is on television.

And I cannot speak for every European zoo, but I can state that the zoos in Madrid and Barcelona (especially Barcelona) were unspeakably hideous, cruel and inhumane. There was an albino gorilla in Barcelona in shackles kept behind a glass partition in a small cell. It was dreadful.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
As usual we aren't disagreeing - just seeing the same thing from different points of view. In an ideal world the idea that people wouldn't have the kind of close up interaction with animals that a zoo offers and yet the funds to preserve and maintain wildlife would still be there. I'm just saying I find that unlikely to happen and what we have at the moment is better than nothing.

I haven't been to any Spanish zoos - the zoos I have visited in France, Ireland, the UK, Germany and Austria were of a very high standard. I can, of course, only speak of the zoos I have actually been to.

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What do you mean the Tiger would still be alive? Did they put the tiger down? i am going to be so irate if they did!
This shows how emotionally involved 36DD is in the subject matter
I heard conflicting reports. Some say that the tiger escaped and was attacking the one who was killed two friends, so he tried to distract it. Others say that they taunted the tiger and basically the tiger went "Screw You". If they were truly taunting the tiger, they deserved what happened to them. If they weren't, then the San Fran zoo is still at fault for apparently not having regulation fences...
seems we see a cause and effect argument here
The fault is totally the idiots that tormented the tiger.
this is 36DD agreeing there is cause and effect
I agree with you but this is America and people/relatives never want to accept blame for their own/relatives' actions. It's so much easier to blame someone else:rolleyes:
this statement is about people rejecting responsibility to suit their own agenda
But that is why every few years they change the boundaries of the habitat because it is the nature of the tiger to stalk...how can they put down an endangered animal who was only doing what came naturally to him? It pisses me off so much...it's a tiger, what do people expect? The animal was being taunted.
expectation is expressed here.. we know it is a dangerous animal... treat it with respect or there are consequences
I think it's very harsh to say those kids deserved to be killed for taunting the tiger. Come on now! There is an expectation that the dangerous animals in a zoo are safely held in their enclosures even if taunted.
This is a wrong conclusion what we are seeing in peoples arguments is an emotional disappointment that again an endangered animal was killed because people think they have a right to act anyway they want without consequence
Well if my kids were stupid enough to do that they would take the blame for what they did...but my kids aren't stupid! Hmmm...sounds like the beginnings of a new law in America...stupid people should not be allowed to breed....
What is this about? Responsible parenting! 36DD brought her children up to take responsibility for their actions... if the parents of the injured/killed parties had done the same she suspects this whole affair would not have happened, and again she sees this affair as a sign of the times where people seem to think it is ok for anybody to do anything they want... but as we see that can end in tragedy... Why don't she want these people breeding? because of the hurt their type of parenting causes
Sorry to disagree, but anyone with an ounce of brain matter would know not to torment a wild animal! Hopefully, any animal...but we know that is not true now don't we?
What is she saying here? That she suspects that the kids understood their actions far more than most people here will acknowledge.
There is an expectation that people won't mess with the animals as well, so I guess both parties are at fault....
well if the kids had been brought up correctly this would again probably have never happened
One report said that they made growling noises, another said they may have had sling shots.

I think human life is more valuable than a Tiger's.

Do your kids deserve to be killed if they make a dumb mistake?
This is where you really start to show what an idiot you are.. nobody wants anybody to pay a price of death for making a mistake, but there are consequences for certain actions.. we cannot do anything we want and expect to get away with it.
Well, that is because you live in California and just like me, you have seen your share of Hollywood so you know how stupid people can be! Of course I am sorry the kid or kids died, maybe someone else can learn from that, but the tiger should not have to bear the punishment for someone's stupidity. And as far as the tiger being shot and killed out of self defense, I say BULLSHIT! The zoos have dart tranquilizers on hand, why weren't they used?
See read this post.. 36DD does not want anybody to die! She wanted the tiger to be tranquilized in these circumstances if possible. Her point is that because it is a wild animal it is automatically destroyed even though it was made to act in such a way by people thinking it is ok to do anything and not take responsibility
I'm sure the judgment will be in favor of the kid that died and it should be.
I don't agree.. the kid did wrong and why the kid acted like he did should be examined.. again you are supporting any action a person does to support your arguments. There is cause and effect and from what I understand this kid was 17, in the UK you can drive you can be a parent legally at that age so if you are going to make the kids age as an excuse... sorry I say that is bullshit
And the parents will have a hefty sum of money. Absolutely ridiculous, that they would be rewarded for not parenting well enough.
sense at last, someone else who thinks that people should learn to be responsible and told that their lack of interest in bringing their child up has caused their misery
They'll be compensated for losing a child because some idiots didn't design the walls high enough to keep the tiger in its enclosure. The zoo should understand what the animals are capable of.
So you are saying responsibility lies solely with the zoo and that responsible parenting is nothing to do with how people act?
That doesn't even deserve an answer and that is soooo beneath you!
mem when 36DD said this it was because you have a history of reading her posts and in that you should really realize that she would never wish anyone to die least of all a child... you obviously just wanted to come out with a controversial statement to try and win some bullshit argument you are having in your head.. wake up
Even though I agree with Act 2's viewpoint here, what you say is absurd...THERE IS NO COMPENSATION FOR LOSING A CHILD!
See mem... how emphatic is that statement.. so when you think she wanted the kid to die.... you are so wrong.
I see you've come to your senses and realize that your children are more important than all the Tigers on earth.
That is such a bullshit statement again... 36DD never said that she would trade the lives of her children for that of tigers... The original point was if the parents had taught their kids responsibility this whole sorry affair would not have happened in the first place.. to me the kids parents are the bastards here, they are the ones who have let their kids do anything they want and now it has come back to haunt them. Plus you are implying in your argument that at some point 36DD thought tigers were more important than her children.. mem you are messed up in the head
You just fucking don't have a clue do you?
See this is what your lack of care has done it has pissed someone off to the point they shout at you... you never really asked 36DD about her relationship to kids dying, you just accused her of having some hidden agenda to win an argument.
The clue I find is that I hit a raw nerve.
:eek:

You have a right to your view which I am guessing is that if your child was killed by a Tiger you would not want it put down. And if you had to choose between the two the Tiger would win.
What are you on about.. do you think that because someone gets pissed off that some how they are automatically wrong? again here you go drawing a line and assuming someone.. if the tiger has already killed someone, shooting the tiger will not bring them back.. and using 36DDs kids as a means of trying to highlight how right you think you are is a big mistake.
I think that the quote feature on this site is good but it can leave a person open to attack because a lot of quoted statements are used out of context, a lot of what people write is in response to some previous statement and when that statement is quoted, people reading it can miss how that statement came about in the first place.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
southwest - we all know 36DD is your bud - and it is nice that you want to defend her - but really it might be better to take this to PM or drop it altogether. You rehashing half the thread with comments really isn't that helpful to the issues at hand. Let it lie. Or let mem and 36 sort it out. They are both grownups.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think anyone else posted this topic here. At first I was sad that they 3 guys were mauled (and one died). Then when I heard that they were taunting the Tiger I didn't feel as bad for them.

It appears that the old biblical saying that "as ye sow, so shall ye reap" is still true. :cool:

In ambulance, survivors of S.F. tiger attack made pact of silence

Jaxon Van Derbeken, Chronicle Staff Writer
Saturday, January 5, 2008

(01-04) 19:38 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- Soon after their 17-year-old friend was mauled to death by a tiger at the San Francisco Zoo, the two brothers who survived the attack made a quick pact not to cooperate with the police as they rode in an ambulance to the hospital, sources told The Chronicle.

"Don't tell them what we did," paramedics heard 23-year-old Kulbir Dhaliwal tell his brother, Paul, 19.

Sources also say that the younger brother was intoxicated at the time of the incident, having used marijuana and consumed enough liquor to have a blood-alcohol level above the .08 limit for adult drivers. The older brother also had been drinking and using marijuana around the time a 350-pound Siberian tiger escaped and killed Carlos Sousa Jr., the sources said.

The brothers' initial refusal to cooperate has frustrated authorities in the days after the Christmas Day attack as investigators attempt to find out what might have precipitated it.

On Friday, the San Francisco city attorney fired off a letter to the brothers' attorney, saying that the San Jose men have refused to let police see any photos or calls they might have made using their cell phones.
Although the police still possess the cell phones and have impounded the brothers' car, city attorney spokesman Matt Dorsey said that without the Dhaliwals' permission, police cannot legally search the items as potential evidence. Among the items police say they have spotted in the car is an empty vodka bottle.

In the letter to the brothers' attorney, Mark Geragos, City Attorney Dennis Herrera asked that any evidence, including the records of calls and cell phone photos, be preserved. Herrera suggested that experts working for the brothers be allowed to inspect the cell phones and car at the same time as investigators from his office.

Geragos could not be reached for comment late Friday, although he has repeatedly denied that the brothers taunted the tigers. A witness told The Chronicle this week that she spotted the young men teasing the lions in the big-cat grotto shortly before the attack.

Geragos has also previously said that he would await the outcome of tests to comment on any alcohol use.

The Dhaliwals have given an account of what occurred that evening through their attorney, saying they tried frantically for more than 30 minutes to get help from reluctant zoo officials. One cafe worker would not open the door for them, and a zoo staffer driving a golf cart was "diffident," Geragos said.

Police have said that since the attack, the brothers have given authorities partial accounts of what occurred.

Meanwhile, zoo officials said late Friday they've discovered that other exhibits don't meet national safety standards.

Zoo officials conceded last week that a moat wall at the tiger enclosure is only 12 1/2 feet high - 4 feet shorter than recommended. Work is being done to raise the wall.

The wall at the polar bear exhibit also is too short, the zoo said in a statement released late Friday. Work is under way to install a chain-link fence that will raise the wall of the enclosure to 16 feet - a height that satisfies guidelines of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
Also Friday, zoo Director Manuel Mollinedo said his staff is working with police to create a coordinated emergency response for any future animal incidents.

Fire and police dispatch logs from Christmas night show that emergency crews were forced to wait outside the zoo after Sousa was mauled because zoo security guards were enforcing an emergency lockdown. Authorities were also hampered by a lack of emergency lighting and an absence of maps of the grounds.

Since then, the zoo has provided police at Taraval Station with maps and keys to the facility, Mollinedo said. He said he also has talked to Police Chief Heather Fong about zoo employees and officers doing gun training together.

"We have to at least work with them if they are going to assist us in the future, if something tragic like this occurs again. We have to train them where to shoot specific animals and know what types of weapons to use in case that does happen," Mollinedo said.

Police also have been invited to visit the zoo during the day so officers can familiarize themselves with the trails there, Mollinedo said.
The zoo reopened Thursday after being closed for nine days. It was closed again Friday because of storm damage but is expected to open Saturday.

Online resources

Read City Attorney Dennis Herrera's letter:
www.sfgate.com/ZBYY

Chronicle staff writer Wyatt Buchanan contributed to this report. E-mail Jaxon Van Derbeken at jvanderbeken@sfchronicle.com.In ambulance, survivors of S.F. tiger attack made pact of silence

This article appeared on page A - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If we're not blaming tigers for following their nature and attacking people who taunt them why should we blame teenagers for following their nature and being bloody stupid.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If we're not blaming tigers for following their nature and attacking people who taunt them why should we blame teenagers for following their nature and being bloody stupid.
:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1: Good one but the world is overpopulated with humans and unfortunately the tigers are in danger of extinction. All life in this planet is very worthy and even more the endangered species. Many people see tiger and other predators as bad violent creatures but they forget that humans are predators too , most humans eat animals .

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't think anyone else posted this topic here.

At first I was sad that they 3 guys were mauled (and one died)

Then when I heard that they were taunting the Tiger I didn't feel as bad for them.
Hopefully you will never face the day when a loved one of yours has a lapse of judgement and does something know they should not do. For example, you have a close friend who throws a rock at a passing car, the driver gets out and pulverizes your friend beyond recognition.

Or maybe you have a friend who teases someone else just a little too much and the other person snaps and then snaps your friends neck. According to your logic, your friend deserved to die.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hopefully you will never face the day when a loved one of yours has a lapse of judgement and does something know they should not do. For example, you have a close friend who throws a rock at a passing car, the driver gets out and pulverizes your friend beyond recognition.

Or maybe you have a friend who teases someone else just a little too much and the other person snaps and then snaps your friends neck. According to your logic, your friend deserved to die.

I said I didn't feel as bad. they were drunk, and high on weed and refuse to cooperate with the law enforcement. They lawyered up so they get a nice fat payday.

So if they were just at a concession stand and a Tiger mauled them I would feel worse for them.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yes, their actions were the reason the Tiger had to be killed. If they were not taunting the tiger it never would have tried to leave it's enclosure.